View Full Version : How I Would Run The Striper Cup....

The Dad Fisherman
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm putting on my Bastard Hat and envisioning how a hard-a$$ should run this tournament. :hihi:

1st - I would setup a Facebook page and the only people I would accept as members would be the B&T's....if you want to be a weigh station....learn to use a computer. They would be required to post every fish weighed in within 24 hours of being weighed in....and it wouldn't cost OTW a thing to implement.

On the water would then update the standings on that same 24 hour interval on their website.

2nd - Seperate the tournament. Team Competition or Monthly Prize, not Both. If you sign up for a team then you fish for that team....not a monthly prize. If you post a fish to your team that isn't big enough to make the top 10...your team gets penalized 10 points and you forfeit your Golden Ticket....you're a "Team"....you should be talking to each other at the very least. If the team competition is all about comraderie then this shouldn't be an issue.

For the Monthly Prize Competition, if you weigh in a fish after 24 hours of the last upodate that doesn't make the top 3 for that previous update for the monthly....you don't get your golden ticket.....sorry, it’s the 21st century, hop on the internet once in awhile....if you aren't internet savvy, then I guess you ain't getting a golden ticket. :devil:

Lastly, for the catch and release portion, a Picture would be required to enter a fish. These pictures should then be posted on the OTW website and the Facebook page to promote the C&R aspect of the tournament more Efficiently/Effectively.

These are the rules....if you don't want to play by them then pucker up :bshake:

Have some fun with this....thats really why I threw this up here just for S&G...but I bet it would make sense on some points.

Sea Flat
04-14-2011, 12:25 PM
After I sifted through all the sarcasm I realized it is pretty cool.:rotf2:

Seriously, pretty good ideas.

One thing I know that a lot of people complained about in the past was that there were/are commercial fishermen in the tourny as well. They are allowed to keep many fish, obviously most of them are going to be sold , but if they luck out and get a slob they have an unfair advantage of being allowed to have dozens of fish on board.

zimmy
04-14-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm REALLY starting to get tired of everybody else's personal preferences being shoved in my face.

:biglaugh:

The Dad Fisherman
04-14-2011, 12:56 PM
I Know...I was thinking that while I was typing it.....I decided to join in :hihi:

Just n time
04-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Great ideas, I have removed the post and I will never bring this up again. Good luck to everyone and have a safe and happy season.:chased:

JackK
04-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Like 'em all

MrHunters
04-14-2011, 02:25 PM
yep. i'd go with that setup easy.

JohnR
04-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Like 'em all

Read this quickly and thought it said 'Nuke them all"

fishbones
04-14-2011, 03:06 PM
I like your ideas, TDF. I would do it that way, but with a few small changes.

1) Change the target fish from Stripers to Scup.

B) Instead of weighing 1 fish, you have to take the combined weight of 50 fish that are all caught on the same trip. The 10 highest combined wieghts for each team are entered into the contest.

3) At the end of the tournament, there's a big party and a golden ticket raffle. The winner of the raffle gets a giant inflatable chicken and has to buy a round of drinks for everyone in attendance.

Aside from those minor changes, I'd do it exactly like you mentioned.

JackK
04-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Read this quickly and thought it said 'Nuke them all"

YouTube - Simpsons - Nuke the whales (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUxK_0WLbg)

Now back on topic... :rotf2:

The Dad Fisherman
04-15-2011, 05:13 AM
The winner of the raffle gets a giant inflatable chicken and has to buy a round of drinks for everyone in attendance.

I'm In.....

Raven
04-15-2011, 05:25 AM
Read this quickly and thought 'Nuke them all" :grins:

in TOTAL agreement as far as the Thought of FACEBOOK
being part of it.... :yak5:

Switch it over to an S-B section INSTEAD would be preferable

I don't trust that organization FB to the size of a vein
..........in a knat's wing

Rockport24
04-15-2011, 10:20 AM
I like it! There really does need to be more frequent updates of info and facebook is probably the easiest and cheapest idea.

I would say the risks for using facebook are pretty low, I see you point, Raven, as they definitely do some sketchy stuff with "personal" info, but in this case I cant' see it being a huge problem.

JackK
04-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Facebook might limit some entrants. I'm on it, but try to keep as much personal info off of it as I can... But that's a different discussion. Seems like most everyone nowadays is on one of the big fishing message boards, whether or not they're an active poster.

Probably wouldn't be that hard for OTW to launch a message board that could serve almost the same purpose. Different forums for each registered B&T, instantaneous (or near) updates of fish weighed in.

The Dad Fisherman
04-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Facebook might limit some entrants.

But isn't that the whole idea.....effectively manage the damage. If you sign up for my tournament and agree to my rules, but can't use the internet...that's not my problem. By Signing up you agree to MY rules. :devil:

And w/ out that facebook caveat then people who can't use facebook can keep registering fish w/ out checking the status of the tournament entries.....defeats the whole purpose of updating. Why should anybody care about when the updates are taking place if nobody has to check them....just because a few of you are responsible doesn't mean everybody is.....

Do you want it run Easy....or run responsibly.....can't have both.

Bronx68
04-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes, some good ideas. Anything that would promote more catch and release would help us all.

Clogston29
04-15-2011, 12:08 PM
simply require weigh stations to call in prior to the end of each day and report that day's weigh-ins (failure to do so results in a warning and then being dropped as a weigh station)

have someone on the OTW staff who's job it is to collect that information and get it up onto the website by noon the next day. if they, as a company, cannot handle that task or afford to have someone perform it, then they have no business running a large scale tournament and collecting entry fees.

FishermanTim
04-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Maybe instead of Facebook you could have everyone use Craigslist?
It would add some interesting info and replies to the mix. :biglaugh:

Oh, and all fish have to be weighed and measured using Metric measurements.

All C&R photos must contain one of the following: DD coffe cup, can of redbull, or package of slimjims in order to be considered.

Slipknot
04-16-2011, 06:41 AM
sorry,
I don't fish with a computer
I'm out