View Full Version : NEED HELP! Beginner at fishing rivers/stripers

josh42177
04-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Hey, can someone help me out, I just moved not too far from the Hudson on the NJ side across from Manhattan. I hear they pull a good amount of stripers out in the spring. I usually fish lakes, but I'd like to know what would be good to fish for them... Live bait? Lures? What LB test should I use? Will my med. size lake rod be ok or should i buy something else? I'm going on Friday morning, if anyone could give me some pointers that would be great! Also, if you're not familiar with the area, this part of the hudson is very deep and moves extremely quick, being that it's very close to where it lets out into the ocean. There is a dock that i will be fishing out on and it goes about 100ft into the water, I hear it's about 10-12ft right at the end of the dock. Thanks.

BigBo
04-14-2003, 03:44 PM
Check out the "How To's" and "FAQ" forum here. I think you'll find many answers to your questions and then some. Very informative.

Notaro
04-14-2003, 03:48 PM
have you ever fished on the saltwater and do you live in NJ or NY?
if you do plan to fish on the hudson river, go to http://www.thefishingline.com/nystate.htm. It has some information about NY fishing. I'm sure that they have some reports on the Hudson River.