View Full Version : WTB Freshwater spinning rod

JackK
04-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Want to get into a little more LMB action this season, but need something a little lighter than my Loomis LR844S. Might also use it for light trouting (roostertails, etc) but prefer to work on my fly game for that... Possibly albies as well. Will probably pair it with my Saragosa 4k.

Figure I'll be throwing Senkos, small raps, spinnerbaits, basically whatever TDF tells me to do :hihi: (nightime jitterbugs?)

I like Loomis rods (GL2 in my price point), also St Croix. Looking for something in the range of 1/4-1 1/2 oz, preferably medium action, with a fast tip for the plastics.

Pickup preferred in Eastern MA/RI... Can do Paypal or cash. Thanks!

The Dad Fisherman
04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Check out the St. Croix Triumph rods...run about $80-$90....I use one and It really works well throwing Senkos, Small Raps, and Jitterbugs.

1/4 - 1 1/2 oz. is a pretty wide range of lure sizes to try and fit into 1 rod when you are talking Fresh.....probably looking for ratings that fall between 1/8 and 5/8 for most applications.

JackK
04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks Kev... I meant by the ranges 1/4 at a min, and 1 1/2 at the highest.

One of the loomis' I was looking at is 1/2 to 1 1/2, another is 1/4 to 1/2. Trying to determine if I should go on the super light end of the spectrum, or get something a little heavier so it has a little more application for SW use.

I will definitely take a look at the triumphs- I'll be checking out the tidemasters as well.

The Dad Fisherman
04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Don't ignore Ugly Stik either....they are a good rod for the money. I fished one for years in the fresh, you can usually pick one up for under $50.

here ya go $30.....and it is pretty solid

Shakespeare Ugly Stik Spinning Rods (http://www.basspro.com/Shakespeare®-Ugly-Stik®-Spinning-Rods/product/303/-634346)

JohnnyD
04-18-2011, 12:48 PM
For all the applications mentioned above, seems like you need two different rods. I can't imagine using the same rod for throwing 1/8oz trout lures and also trying to use that same rod to land albies.

I prefer two rods whenever I fish freshwater. A rod rigged with a spinner bait or other long-casting "test the water" bait and another rod for finesse baits. I only tie direct though so changing lures costs minutes of fishing time.

JackK
04-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I figured two rods would be needed... I guess my question was if I got a rod that was rated 1/2-1 1/2, would that be too heavy to effectively fish the lighter FW stuff? Sounds like it would be. Not too big of a deal, I don't mind going lower and having a dedicated FW rod. Will narrow the search to either 1/8-5/8 or 1/4 to 1/2.

Great idea on the dual setups for different applications. And the US could be great to pick up as a loaner rod for those who want to learn how to fish... Personally I'm a bit of a graphite snob :hihi:

And JohnnyD, definitely... Although a good buddy of mine caught (and landed) a nice bonito this summer on an ice fishing panfish jigging rod... No joke! :biglaugh:

PS, TDF, check your text messages!

JackK
04-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Closed- found a stellar deal on a rod. Thanks to all for offers and advice!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

striperman36
04-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Closed- found a stellar deal on a rod. Thanks to all for offers and advice!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

WHich one?