View Full Version : Fly Swap Dividends

jeffsod
04-15-2003, 10:33 AM
Just recently returned from a trip to Florida and wanted to post a follow-up on the fly swap. It has already paid out dividends for me!

Got my very first keeper Snook on the flyrod with a fly tied by ArtsNFlies. It was a greenish silver flash clouser and a 27 and a half inch Snook thought it was real enough to eat!

The fish were ambushing bait around some rocks just off this jetty near a pass and I saw them come up a couple of times and dissappear after nailing some baitfish. Current was pulling water around the jetty into the pass and bait would get sucked right over these submerged rocks. The snook were waiting in the depths behind the rocks and would ambush groups of bait as they got sucked by. Even better was I saw the snook lunge out and take my fly and then the fight was on. Once on the reel he ran me out around the end of the jetty and on up into the pass before he was subdued. Touch and go a couple of times. Wish I had camera but unfortunately not.

Thanks again to all who participated and to Bobbike for organizing the fly swap.

I also caught a number of real nice sized Jack Crevalles but they are not as picky as the Snook can be.

Next time I am getting the special Snook Permit because if I had one that snook would have been hitting the grill since I never ate snook before. Oh well maybe next time.

Bring on the bass I am warmed up now....

Slipknot
04-15-2003, 11:00 AM
That's great to hear Jeff!
Next time get the permit.
I bet those Jacks remind you of bluefish don't they, a lot of fun.

JohnR
04-15-2003, 11:02 AM
Cool!

Saltheart
04-15-2003, 01:02 PM
I'll bet more than one of those flies will catch fish! :) Glad to hear you scored.