View Full Version : Giant tuna sells for record $173,600

JohnR
01-09-2001, 03:19 PM
Check this story!! And you wonder why the Japanese really resist measures to protect fish!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2001/FOOD/news/01/05/pricy.tuna.ap/index.html

Slipknot
01-09-2001, 03:45 PM
Disgusting!

Blitzseeker
01-09-2001, 04:02 PM
Speaking of bluefin tuna, there was a great, great show on them on TV on this past Sunday night. Some new National Geographic channel, which is channel 38 here in Boston. Underwater photography of bluefin feeding on a school of bait was among the best footage of fish I've ever seen. Tremendous program.

One particular part of the show I thought really hit the nail on the head for what the mentality of people catching fish for money is. They were talking about the decline of the bluefin, and one guy was talking about a day in the Eighties where a bunch of tuna boats were out catching tons of bluefin off Cape Cod. Somebody comes on the radio and says, "Hey, we've had a great day already, let's leave some for tomorrow." Someone else on another boat answers back over the radio, "Nobody left me any buffalo."

Very sad. But it just goes to show than when you are getting hundreds per pound for bluefin, or even much less for striper, people are going to get all they can and damn the rules or preserving fisheries.

Slipknot
01-09-2001, 05:27 PM
I saw that on CNBC very good show I think it will be repeated 1-13-01