View Full Version : Multi-max type tool

Mr. Sandman
05-05-2011, 09:07 AM
For the last few years I have been justifying reasons not to spend the $$ on buying one of those Fein multi-max tools. Last fall I really needed one for a boat job I was working on and I broke down and picked one up. I still didn't think I would use it all that much and bought a Bosch clone of the Fein tool on sale. (there are several clones out now that while not as nice as the Fein tool they are useful Home depot has one similar to Bosch...again not as sweet as the fein but about 1/3 of the cost) I have to say this is a fantastic tool for the boat owner. Man is this thing useful! I can't tell you how many times I reach for this now. I have used it in countless situations and it does a great job. Just make sure you get an extra battery and a load of different attachments as they are all very useful.

nightfighter
05-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Yep. They pay for themselves, that's for sure. We got the 99.00 Dremel. It is loud, but does the job. I prefer the corded models vs battery for this tool. I'll step up to the fein on the next job we really need it on, and can absorb the cost of the tool. They're like razors though... replacement blades will kill you.

PRBuzz
05-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Yep. They pay for themselves, that's for sure. We got the 99.00 Dremel. It is loud, but does the job. I prefer the corded models vs battery for this tool. I'll step up to the fein on the next job we really need it on, and can absorb the cost of the tool. They're like razors though... replacement blades will kill you.

I picked up the Dremel Multi-max for $50 at Odd Lots(?). Buying the accessories is the expensive part but yes the tool pays for itself.

likwid
05-05-2011, 04:46 PM
They had a great deal on the Rigid version with multi heads at HD.

Notfishinenuf
05-05-2011, 05:08 PM
The Fein tool is awesome! I have had one for 4 years now. I bought one to to replace the seams on a teak deck. The blade for removing the caulking is crazy expensive but worth every penny. Paid for itself on that one job! There is a lot of seams on a 36' Grand Banks! I use it all the time. I just picked up the cordless Bosch about a month ago. Very nice tool. Not as good as the Fein but still a very nice tool. The Bosh cordless impact driver is a great little tool as well. Small, powerful and the battery last quite a while.

Vic

Notfishinenuf
05-05-2011, 05:10 PM
I tried that one before I picked up the Bosch. Did not like it. The changeable head does not lock up tight and the tool does not perform well.

Vic

They had a great deal on the Rigid version with multi heads at HD.

likwid
05-05-2011, 05:51 PM
I tried that one before I picked up the Bosch. Did not like it. The changeable head does not lock up tight and the tool does not perform well.

Vic

Mine works fine.

spence
05-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I believe that Burns in Fall River usually has a good price on the Fein.

-spence