View Full Version : lost master key to a toyota

quick decision
05-09-2011, 05:32 AM
Is there anybody way to program a new master key yourself to a 2004 Toyota Sienna. I went to the dealer and they want north of 250 to replace and reprogram the key. Plus I have to tow the van to the dealership.

tysdad115
05-09-2011, 05:46 AM
You could try a locksmith. Some of them have software that will do it. Im not sure how much less it will be. If you don't have one key that works your stuck. There is no way for you to do it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnnyD
05-09-2011, 09:50 AM
The SportsHub has commercials for E-Keys all the time. I don't know anything about them, but might be another option for you.

Redsoxticket
05-09-2011, 06:39 PM
there is a car 5 digit key number that is used to duplicate keys. It is possible that it is written on the backside of the folder that contains the vehicle docs. If course someone whould of had to write it down on the folder cover.

nevermind I thought it was a plain non programmable key

quick decision
05-09-2011, 07:07 PM
thanks guys, im f%$$ed

Swimmer
05-09-2011, 07:56 PM
That key cost them about twenty five dollars. I know my "03" ford ranger cost the alarm guy $35.00 with his ten dollar mark up. I told the guy I had four keys when I brought it in and he was to use one I gave him and not order an extra key. He forgot and ordered the extra key and told me he wanted $125.00 for it. I asked him where the key was I left with him to use, and his face turned white. He said Oh chit I forgot. Then the guy says just pay me $35.00 for the key I used and we are good. Same chit as these dealers not giving out computor codes when the check engine light comes on. T#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it up your breezer.

tattoobob
05-09-2011, 08:06 PM
thanks guys, im f%$$ed

There should be a metal tag in the owners guide they give you when you buy the truck new, it has all the key info on it

spence
05-09-2011, 09:04 PM
There are a few issues here...

There's the key code used to actually cut the key. If you have any of your keys they can read this from a dupe or valet. If you don't have this you won't be able to turn it in the cylinder. This is the 5 digit code referenced above.

If it's like my Lexus, the master key (all of them really) also has a chip that must be sync'd to the computer to let the engine start. If you lose the master key, the code from a new key must be programmed which takes about 1/2 hour. The computer is limited in the number of keys it can hold.

$250 isn't a bad price from a dealer. Many locksmiths can do it as well. A local place charges about 40 to cut the key and 120 to program. If the 250 is with an OEM key I'd consider it.

The common scenario is when somebody buys a used Toyota or Lexus without a master key and gets screwed...just been through this...PITA.
-spence