View Full Version : Eel skin jigs...

East Tide
01-10-2001, 10:33 PM
Hey fellas, Haven't posted here in awhile. I changed my handle becuase I saw some "black hats" circling. Just kidding. Had a little trouble registering, John. ANyways, am looking for jig heads with hole in mouth in 3 1/2 and 4 oz. ANyone know where I could find some? Surfland has some close to 3 oz but they are $$$ and Red top has a couple lighter ones with weak hooks. Lemme know if we can work something out. Hope everyones new year is going smooth.

BTW, SOme good news!!! The Canal Tourney this year is going to start a week later so the Herring RUn will be closed!!! Say goodbye to a bunch of jamocs!!! Might actually have a chance to jig or plug up a winner this year. Maybe I'll enter.... I read that on another board so correct me if my info is off a little.

Dave Breslin, Jr.

Slipknot
01-10-2001, 10:40 PM
I can't help you with the jigs but that is great news about the date of the tourney. I may enter this year too. I can't deal with all the yahoos. I'll take a nice lonesome rock or a quiet place on my boat anyday.

Saltheart
01-10-2001, 11:16 PM
Hi Dave. Long time no see. Hope you had a good season. You pretty much got to make your own skin jigs or pay the $$$. They are hard to come by and nobody I know of sells them cheap , especially the 4 and 4.5 OZ ones. East Tide Cowboy , I like that better.

JohnR
01-11-2001, 09:10 AM
Dave - Welcome back!!
I actually saw some of those jig heads recently for a reasonable price but I can't remember where, they may have maxed out at 3 ounces though. I was in a hurry, otherwise I would have picked some up for myself... I'll try to see if I can find out where they are, after I pick up some of my own :P ...

Have a good season??

Later Cowboy,

John

JPowers
01-11-2001, 01:30 PM
David, the last time I looked, Surfcaster catalog had 3oz eelskin jigs @ $ 3.50
They were the trolling type but you can cut the chain off on the back hook. I found these same jigs in a local tackel store and bought all 12 that were on the shelf - they had been there gathering dust for years. They're the bullet head model. If you can find them - grab em. A rare comodity these days.

fishfinder
01-12-2001, 02:18 PM
I bought some 3-ounce heads (no chain) with 8/0 hooks from The Surfcaster catalog. I've never used them and I'm not sure about a couple things: 1) how long should the skin hang back from the hook bend? 2) how do I secure it to the head?

Saltheart
01-15-2001, 05:12 PM
You tie them on witha thread like waxed lined or dental floss. How long depends on the eel skins you have and the type of jig. I like to have the whole tail behind the blow hole to extend past the last hook. that is short for some jigs but some have a second trailing hook and then the skin is longer.

nor-easter
01-15-2001, 08:57 PM
I would not worry about a second hook...The llarger fish take the bait by the head, where the hook is...The small fish bite the back end of the eel...
At least this has been my experience trolling skins. They may feed different on the shore but I doubt it.

Capt. Chet- Nor-Easter Charters

Saltheart
01-15-2001, 10:45 PM
Some have a hook right in the Jig head, Some have the hook on a wire behind the jig head. Some have the hook in the jig head and have a second one trailing a few iches behind on wire. Some have both hooks on wire , one behind the other. I'm not kidding! :) There's a jig for every skin. :)

JohnR
01-16-2001, 09:08 AM
If anyone does run across a supplt for these (or the molds), please pass that along - Thanks

Saltheart, any chance of smelting some :P

Saltheart
01-16-2001, 11:23 PM
:)

Mike P
01-17-2001, 10:25 AM
Hey, Dave, nice new handle. You heard right on the Canal Derby---good news as far as I'm concerned. It's been won on plugs at least once, by a guy from Brockton named #^&#^&#^&#^& Regan. The week they're having it this year is when you should start seeing the first breaking fish, but I don't know what the tides are yet.

I won't be at the Show with Brad this year, I'll be in Disney World with the family. If he has any, the black-backed plugs usually work well when the drop-backs come down from the run and the fish start feeding on top. Gibbs now makes that color scheme, too--except theirs has a big red dot near the tail (????). I know all about the Reverse Atom, but squid actually do swim backwards--don't know about a "reverse pogy" ;)

JohnR
01-17-2001, 12:14 PM
Anyone know if Mike will be a sponsor this year?? I'll probably shoot him an e-mail...

Mike P
01-17-2001, 03:54 PM
John--that reminds me. Make sure the brass at MSBA contact Brad, they should have his address or phone on file. He told me he's very interested in buying a table again, and was concerned that no one has contacted him yet. I was supposed to give you this message right after I saw him before New Years :o

E-mail me at the Hotmail address (Tim's wasn't available during his switchover and I don't know whether it's back up) and I'll give you his phone #.

JohnR
01-17-2001, 06:54 PM
Will do...

Harrible
01-17-2001, 10:02 PM
Gotta agree with Nor Easter...no trailer hooks required. I steadily fished eel skins in the canal last summer and did well with 3 oz jigs from a couple of sources. Bass will indeed hit the jig head first. Keeping the skin itself from fouling around the jig hook during the cast can be a bit of a hassle if not worked around, and a trailing hook is an invitation to retrieving a ball of eelskin and toilet chain or mono, or what have you.

Now that Maco's supply has been pretty well picked over, who knows where to find eelskins? I understand Maco's will not replenish..

Harry

Mike P
01-17-2001, 10:28 PM
Hey, Harrible--that you, old buddy? Good to see you.

Ditch

JohnR
01-17-2001, 10:33 PM
Harrible, welcome back!! Good to see you around!

Harrible
01-18-2001, 03:23 PM
Hi John & Ditch-

Thanks for the hello...i've been lurkin' and sulkin', 'cause I want to go bassin'. I was ok up until about Christmas since there was plenty of stuff to keep one occupied, but now I am getting itchy.

What are doing to keep cabin fever at bay? Magazines, forums, catalogs? I am too broke to chase Roosterfish in the land of Sergio, much as I'd like to...

Does anybody where Eelskins can be bought ANYWHERE? Hmm, I wonder what UPS' tips are regarding packing eelskins & kosher salt...

Harry

JPowers
01-18-2001, 04:47 PM
Last year I snuck up on HH in the parking lot at the herring run. At his feet was a 30#er and hanging from the leader was the ugliest eelskin jig ever tied. Had all that thick brown tissue on the blue side. I was less fussy picking out my skins after that.

Harry, If you find any skins around let me know - I have the feeling there'll be a shortage early this year.

JohnR
01-18-2001, 05:03 PM
Harrible - ya killin' me!!! Did you need to mention Sergio's Surf Roosters (BTW - one of the guys here just got back from his honeymoon where he and the new missus got into some Roostahs)!! Maybe next year but I really want to do that sometime!!

I was getting some eels skins from Maco's as they were the only place that had them. Not the best but nobody else, including Red Top had them... MikeP - which shop was it that gave you the big hassle last year??

JohnR
01-18-2001, 05:33 PM
Harrible - ya killin' me!!! Did you need to mention Sergio's Surf Roosters (BTW - one of the guys here just got back from his honeymoon where he and the new missus got into some Roostahs)!! Maybe next year but I really want to do that sometime!!

I was getting some eels skins from Maco's as they were the only place that had them. Not the best but nobody else, including Red Top had them... MikeP - which shop was it that gave you the big hassle last year?? \

... but now that JPowers says that Hman uses nasty eelskins :o maybe we'll go back...

Harrible
01-20-2001, 09:19 AM
Hi Jim..Yeah, I guess I ain't no genteel eel-skin rigger. That skin was one of the last of it's size at Maco's. I took it even with flesh attached. Luckily the bass found it passable. But you are in the same boat as I, now...are you going to keep left overs and skin 'em yourself?

Interestingly I guess Maco's used to sell them by the bucketful to canal rats in the glory days.....also on Friday nights of the same era, #^&#^&#^&#^& told me he sold DOZENs of those gold hook/red float "Striped Bass" rigs to those passing through campers headed for Race Point for the weekend....along with the same # of flats of seaworms. It was THE setup for bassing out there....not much plugging goin' on....sheesh. The times they are a changin'.

You sure there isn't a Eel Skins R Us in the ads in the back of SWS or Field & Stream?.....Hmmm....I see an opening here...selling eelskin franchises. There is not a lot related to chasing fish that isn't available mail-order...