View Full Version : For Manly Stud Guys

numbskull
05-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Which obviously rules out guys from Franklin

For the rest of us, here is another option worth considering.
Called Grip Studs. Company makes studs for tires. Carbide cores.

As opposed to the Simms and Wear Bars, which have standard screws for insertion, these have a sharpened helix with more bite, less depth penetration and a wider weight distribution.

I put some in a pair of Muck boots that are pretty soft and spongy. So far they've held well where the screw studs wouldn't have. I think you could put them in almost anything(including sneakers) and get good traction.

The tall ones they advertise for wader boots are shorter (by about 1/2) than the Wear Bars, so maybe they wouldn't be as good in real thick bubble weed. So far I've just used the lowprofile ones that seem tiny but have been great on wet slimy rocks. Less stud pressure than the comparable low profile Simms screw studs as well.

Cost is about the same as others @ $1 a stud, the tool is about $10.
Well worth it to avoid a serious head injury...... and wake up an eelfisherman.

fishbones
05-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks for posting, Numbskull. Can these be found at local stores?

Back Beach
05-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Real men go barefoot.

numbskull
05-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks for posting, Numbskull. Can these be found at local stores?

Grip studs site Home Page (http://www.gripstuds.com/)

My browser did not confirm the site as "secure". I called them and ordered by phone. Had them in 2 days.

numbskull
05-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Real men go barefoot.

Crawling doesn't count

Back Beach
05-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I called them and ordered by phone. Had them in 2 days.

Still not impressed...

I fish from a boat now anyways, albeit I'm targeting mainly bluegills and short pickerel with saltwater gear.

PRBuzz
05-12-2011, 09:23 AM
I fish from a boat now anyways, albeit I'm targeting mainly bluegills and short pickerel with saltwater gear.

That sounds like a REAL manly sport!:biglaugh:

Penn Int 80's with 100lb test? What type of bars are you trolling?

The Dad Fisherman
05-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Real men go barefoot.

Real Men actually screw them into their bare feet........

piemma
05-12-2011, 10:41 AM

My browser did not confirm the site as "secure". I called them and ordered by phone. Had them in 2 days.

Site is NOT secure. Do not order on the site. These guys must be living in the last century. I don't know anyone who has a "for purchase site" without securing it.

bart
05-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Hey, some guys from franklin still wear the old school Korkers...

The Dad Fisherman
05-12-2011, 10:56 AM
When it comes time to place the order online and enter credit card info....it goes to a secure site. Its just a basic website until that part of the process.

fishbones
05-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Real Men actually screw them into their bare feet........

Real men do what I do. Each year, I capture and kill a grizzly bear with my bare hands. I then chew their paws off and tape them to the bottom of my feet. I haven't taken a fall on the rocks yet. And I've got a couple of sweet throw rugs to boot.

The Dad Fisherman
05-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Real men do what I do. Each year, I capture and kill a grizzly bear with my bare hands. I then chew their paws off and tape them to the bottom of my feet. I haven't taken a fall on the rocks yet. And I've got a couple of sweet throw rugs to boot.

Huh, you kill them 1st.....lightweight

MassBass
05-12-2011, 01:42 PM
guys, use wader studs (web site) instead. call in with orders, speak with Sharlie or Jason... they'll invoice through email and their Paypal address.

just a heads up,there are 2 readily sizes available, the 1100 and 3000. both are the nuts as numbskull has said. The 1100 sticks out of the soles about 1/8", the 3000 right under 1/4" or so. Both threads are about the same length at 1/4"-+. I used these last year on a pair of Cloudveil boots with rubber soles. At the end of the season I must have only lost 6 or 7 out of 40. Compare that to other studs and it's a great improvement. This year I'm going with the 3000A studs. They protrude a bit more and have a bit longer thread which I think will minimize the loss of studs per season. They carry other sizes as well but the three mentioned above takes care of 99% of the conditions we encounter.

Good luck this season.