View Full Version : Get a clamming license OR buy clams?

Jersey_Jim
05-13-2011, 04:37 AM
I am thinking of clamming in Duxbury, but how much clamming will I actually do??

Are there places to buy cherrystones,etc reasonably $$ by the bag or peck.

when I am in FL I can buy a bag of 100 for $23

robc22
05-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Try harvester seafood in B.bay or joe's in sandwich....you might get cherries for .23 a piece........Northern hardshell product tends to be more expensive than southern shellstock.....

Typhoon
05-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Call Pangea Shellfish in Boston. He might sell you cash 617-439-4999

If not Stavis Seafood on the pier has a cash desk and you can walk right in.

The difference between southern clams and northern clams are night and day. Like putting an Appalachicola oyster next to a Wianno oyster. No comparison.

Piscator
05-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Call Pangea Shellfish in Boston. He might sell you cash 617-439-4999

If not Stavis Seafood on the pier has a cash desk and you can walk right in.

The difference between southern clams and northern clams are night and day. Like putting an Appalachicola oyster next to a Wianno oyster. No comparison.

So true!!! My favorite oysters are North West (Washington, Oregon). They have a sweetness to them unlike the ones around here.

l.i.fish.in.vt
05-13-2011, 08:03 PM
sort of like asking should i go fishing or just buy some fish. i like to clam,so i would buy a license and enjoy tide clamming,you would be surprised what you will learn about fishing clamming.if you just want to pig out on clams justbuy them.if you are a some who knows there clams the best are from the northeast.the clams from down south don't have the shelf life of northern clams.

Jersey_Jim
05-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Nah, I love fishing, not sure I will love clamming
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Redsoxticket
05-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Do you have the TIME to dig for clams under the blazing sun ?
The COST of gas to get to and from the holes would buy a reasonable amount of clams unless your going to a drinking hole then it would be worth the trip.

Adam_777
05-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Just buy a few pounds.Melt some butter and enjoy.Unless you know how,when and where.

robc22
05-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Nah, I love fishing, not sure I will love clamming

Believe me, you will like clamming......