View Full Version : Lawn mower recommendations...

nightfighter
05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Mine has some issues that I am not going to deal with, except maybe with a bullet.... MTD Yardman, friggin thing has a plastic carb.

So what do you have that you like. Around 21" is good. No need for a riding mower here. Better yet, anyone have a contact to get one at dealer cost? Thanks.

striperman36
05-13-2011, 06:07 PM
a Brazilian

zimmy
05-13-2011, 08:09 PM
I recently went with an electric after my 20 year old honda died. The electric is unbelievable. Removable battery, very light compared to gas, low maintenance, very quiet. I cut about 1/4 of an acre of grass at a time w/out the battery wearing down in any noticeable way as far as function of the mower is concerned. I went with the self propelled, but my friend bought the same one with out the self propelled and loves it. His yard is 1/3 acre grass and flatter than mine. Battery lasts 4-5 years and is about $100 to replace. Costs pennies to charge the battery. 5 years ago I would have stayed away from them, not anymore. So now I mow with the electric, a 1949 farm tractor, and goats. Needles to say the electric requires the least maintenance.

Amazon.com: Black & Decker SPCM1936 19-Inch 36-Volt Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower With Removable Battery: Home & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-SPCM1936-Self-Propelled-Removable/dp/B004JMZH3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1305335036&sr=1-1)

zimmy
05-13-2011, 08:22 PM
oh yeah, if you want gas, I can highly recommend a Honda.

Raider Ronnie
05-13-2011, 08:40 PM
a Brazilian

I tried that once didn't work out so good.
Jose clogged the bagger tube on my riding tractor then stuck his hand under the deck to clear it (while the blades were spinning at full throttle)
Just about chopped his thumb off :smash:
Pretty tough to communicate when they don't speak a word of our language ! :wall:

Raven
05-13-2011, 08:44 PM
speaking on carbs and i worked in a shop rebuilding enough of them to know
that the briggs and strattens were least temperamental
and the tecumpse engines were a pain in the ASS

so the Honda is the "volvo" of lawn mowers

Hookedagain
05-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I have a Cub Cadet. 22"/6.75hp self propelled. I love it although I use a rider to do the brunt of my yard the Cub is a pleasure to use on the edges and around the beds. The hight adjustment is simple with a single lever raising/lowering all four wheels at once. I've had pretty good luck with Cadets, the log splitter has also been awesome.

Raven
05-14-2011, 05:03 AM
post a picture of that bad boy

basswipe
05-14-2011, 06:43 AM
I just recently bought a self propelled Troy-Bilt with the Honda engine.This thing is the cats ass.Bought it at Lowes

Dick Durand
05-14-2011, 06:55 AM
I bought a Honda last fall after my Snapper bit the dust, and it's definitely a better mower than the old one ever was. Four stroke engine, mulcher blade, great cut.

Raven
05-14-2011, 08:08 AM
i bought it used for 700 clams
and it needed some work....
nothing beyond my mechanical skills

but these Fukkin Mice get in there over the winter
build this whopper sized nest then piss and crap
all over the aluminum head completely clogging the
cooling fins so ya have to take it apart and remove
it all with shop vacs and compressed air or else you'll
just burn up the machine from over heating...

Had the mouse pinched in the cover for a minute and i shoulda
clamped a vice grip to his back foot so he wouldn't git away
but i thought of that later... :hs:

Raven
05-14-2011, 08:18 AM
i had this one toro round deck machine
that i bought an attachment for
that was this inner ring that encased the blade
making it into a leave vac @ the same time

SurfCaster413
05-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I am a landscaper and we have toro 21 inch mowers best 21's we ever owned. we use them on at least 15 lawns a week. All commerical use they take a beating and never no problems with them what so ever They where each over 400 but have had them 6 years and only have changed the oil and filters thats it.

nightfighter
05-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Turns out my sister has a Lawn Boy mower that is available due to impending divorce.... It is probably ten years old with maybe one or two seasons' use before they got the service to mow for them. So going to put some dough towards her cause and pick that up tomorrow. Don't know anything about Lawn Boy.

Mike P
05-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Turns out my sister has a Lawn Boy mower that is available due to impending divorce.... It is probably ten years old with maybe one or two seasons' use before they got the service to mow for them. So going to put some dough towards her cause and pick that up tomorrow. Don't know anything about Lawn Boy.

If it's a 10 year old Lawn Boy, there's a very good chance it has a 2-cycle engine. That means pre-mixed gas, and smelling like oil smoke afterwards. :grins:

Your neighbors will love it too--especially if you crank it up while they're having a cookout.

I had a Lawn Boy 2 stroke. Gas/oil ratio was 32:1. Two gallons of gas, and an 8 oz can of 2-cycle oil in a 3 gallon gas can. Shake well. ;)

Raven
05-15-2011, 05:34 AM
if your grass gets long..... it can handle it just fine

BigBo
05-15-2011, 05:59 AM
I have a Lawn Boy that's 20 years old this year. It's a four stroke, not two. I just tuned it up and she turned right over like nothing.

BigFish
05-15-2011, 06:24 AM
I have a Piece-o'-crap! Don't know the make....bought at Lowe's......$140.00......cuts my grass for 4 years without oil changes and the motor burns up I am happy I got 4 years out of it! Can't see spending the big bucks on a friggin' lawn mower?????:smash:

Raven
05-15-2011, 08:07 AM
i could take several "free" briggs and strattens lawnmowers
and make a brand new machine ->anytime i want...

ya, just have to disconnect the wire to the spark plug
so there's no way it could accidentally start

tilt it up and try to turn the blade by hand and see what kind of resistance
you get... the more the better for "compression"

those little carb's are a piece of cake....:uhuh: