View Full Version : suspicious breakoffs- clip related?

zimmy
05-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Preface- I am not making any definitive statement about a product or a conclusion about the cause of the phenomena discussed below :spam:

Last night I lost 2 northbars. The first one fell to a fish that was up on the edge of the rocks. I grabbed the 40lb big game leader, the fish thrashed (20-22lb fish), mono cut at the snap and off the fish went with my bdarter.

About an hour later, I was wading and casting in a different locale around hightide. My plug caught some weeds behind me. There was slight resistance as I cast forward. The plug went flying off (well about 20 feet in front of me into the current). I have had much worse snags without a break. The leader again was sliced right at the snap. It looks like a serrated knife went through it on an angle.

It could be bad mono, although the leaders were tied last week and the mono stored in a cabinet. However it is my first time using the TA clips and I wondered if the angled bend could slice the leader under sudden pressure from a thrash or snag. Anyone ever experience something similar? Weird

Jackbass
05-16-2011, 09:20 AM
I haven't had those problems with the TA clips yet? Sounds like the metal on the clip could have been a little jagged or something. Weird.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

zimmy
05-16-2011, 09:23 AM
It was two different clips. It very well could be bad mono, bad karma, or strange coincidence.

Jackbass
05-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Maybe you got a bad batch? What kind of mono if it was Vanish I would blame the vanish

zimmy
05-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Berkeley big game. Never had a problem with it before.

chefchris401
05-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I've used those clips for two seasons now and never had that happen.

I'd check the edges of the clip, could have some burrs.

I use momoi or Andes leader material and never had any issues.

I love those Northbar darters!!!

Jackbass
05-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Run a q tip through the top of the clips and see if the cotton pulls. If it isn't the clips maybe you had something weird on your fingers. That ate into the line

JohnnyD
05-16-2011, 10:45 AM
You use something like needle nose pliers to pull the knot tight? Buddy of mine was getting mysterious breaks right at the knot (the loop that was attached to his swivel or clip would still be there) and we figured out that his needle nose were putting real slight grooves on the clip that slowly nicked away at the mono.

numbskull
05-16-2011, 10:59 AM
What knot do you use? I had an issue with a trilene knot in 50lb fluro(two turns around the clip) not setting correctly and breaking when I tried to tighten it in the V of the TA clip.

zimmy
05-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Run a q tip through the top of the clips and see if the cotton pulls. If it isn't the clips maybe you had something weird on your fingers. That ate into the line

The particular clips in question are goners, but I will check others from the same pack. Something weird on my fingers? :rotf2:

You use something like needle nose pliers to pull the knot tight?
No, spit, pulled tight, and cut w/ scissors

What knot do you use? I had an issue with a trilene knot in 50lb fluro(two turns around the clip) not setting correctly and breaking when I tried to tighten it in the V of the TA clip.

Palomar. Not sure I like what happened with your knots. I am going to take a close look at the way the v sets up on the line. For now I am changing mono and back to my old clips until I figure it out.

Jackbass
05-16-2011, 01:32 PM
I meant like bug spray or something to that affect lol

numbskull
05-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Palomar. Not sure I like what happened with your knots. I am going to take a close look at the way the v sets up on the line. .

I think that might be your problem. The Palomar and Trilene Knot use a double loop of line around the clip. With the V one loop will sit in the groove, the other above it, and pinch down on it under load. My problem was with the small clips.

basswipe
05-16-2011, 06:19 PM
30 or 50 pound Ande floro tied with a palamor on the business end and a Spro on the other also with a palamor.Rock solid leader.

When you say TA clip I'm assuming you mean a Breakaway?

tattoobob
05-16-2011, 06:29 PM
TA = Tactical Angler

GattaFish
05-16-2011, 07:15 PM
A lot of smoke to be burning through clips like that.... Been using Berkley Cross-Loks for years. Come in a 100 pack.... never had a problem

basswipe
05-16-2011, 07:49 PM
TA = Tactical Angler

What's the differance from a Breakaway?They look the same as far as I can tell.I hope I'm not missing out on something.

tattoobob
05-16-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure what the difference is but the way I look at it, I never had a problem with Breakaways so I will keep using them, but other than a different bend in some places I see no difference

basswipe
05-16-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure what the difference is but the way I look at it, I never had a problem with Breakaways so I will keep using them, but other than a different bend in some places I see no difference

I use the Breakaways too.In was just curious as they look the same,if one is better than the other I'll use the better one of course.

Pete F.
05-17-2011, 06:14 AM
If more expensive is better then the TAs are better

zimmy
05-17-2011, 07:25 AM
I never had this issue with breakaways, but again, it is difficult to isolate the cause. I was suspicious of the extra pressure points that could be caused by the V in the TA, but there are lots of reasons leaders could break. If I can't use a Palomar, I have to use a different clip. Also, no bug spray involved :)

tysdad115
05-17-2011, 08:05 AM
I am using TA clips with 40lb floro and a trilene knot ,so far no problems at all.

Thumper
05-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Funny this thread came up. I picked up a pack of these over the winter, tied (or should I say tried to tie) some the other night using brandy new momoi 60lb leader mat'l using a cinch knot, pulled tight and the knot broke. This happend with more than one of the clips. That was enough for me to see.

rockdoc
05-19-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't like the TA clips with the V. I see absolutely no advantage. They don't work with my double clinch knots, and they're more $$. I'm doing fine with the Breakaways on stripers and big bluefin tuna, no problems. Does anyone know of any advantage the TA clips might have?

Steve

JackK
05-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Don't get the TA hype...

Stronger wire? Great... But I've never had any issue with the Breakaway FL's bending a mm (the SL's are a different story, but I rarely use them). And I wouldn't use either for BFT (just me, I'd rather tie a SD Jam knot to a solid ring and change plugs via splits... but cool that the breakaways can handle it).

The V in the clip, so yo' knots don't slip? Awesome... But tie a good, tight knot on a breakaway and it won't go anywhere.

I also find the TA clips can be a pain to get onto certain plugs, which irritates me in the middle of the night.

Are they a good product? Sure... But IMO not good enough to warrant the extra cost.

Zim, I tie a standard clinch using 60-80 lb mono to my breakaways, using three turns of mono. Never have any issue with breakoffs or slippage.

JoeBass
05-19-2011, 09:48 AM
wait....you had on a twenty pounder already? I gotta get out there.

zimmy
05-19-2011, 12:52 PM
wait....you had on a twenty pounder already? I gotta get out there.

It is CT, you can get 20lbers in March :love: It is the 30+lbers that have been slow to show this year.

zimmy
05-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Update,
This was definitely an issue of bad mono in my case. I lost a pencil this when tied direct. Fish hit and the leader cut right at the end by the plug. No bluefish where I was fishing. Mono goes to trash tonight.