View Full Version : New to Site - Joke - and a Question Spot Burning

JoeD33
05-17-2011, 06:52 PM
I am newly reg user - is a joke necessary? Here is one to get things rolling regardless of initiation rituals - I will use the cleaned up version, substitute key "verb" as appropriate: A guy comes home with a duck under his arm, opens the front door and his wife is there. He says "This is the pig I have been "kissing". His wife says "That is not a pig, its a duck!". The guy says "I was talking to the duck." :biglaugh:

Question: is it a spot burn if you are skunked - if I say I was at xyz (very specific location) and indicate I was skunked, is it a spot burn? I think not, but what are thoughts here?

PRBuzz
05-17-2011, 06:56 PM
With that opening joke, think you need to ask your spot burn question to the Aflac duck!:rotf2:

JoeD33
05-17-2011, 07:00 PM
I like the reply, wry. Hope this is consistent with the site members. The duck's voice is new you know - Gilbert Godfrey was terminated due to comments he made that did not reflect Aflac's views, or something like that....

PRBuzz
05-17-2011, 07:01 PM
I like the reply, wry. Hope this is consistent with the site members. The duck's voice is new you know - Gilbert Godfrey was terminated due to comments he made that did not reflect Aflac's views, or something like that....

They are interviewing for a replacement, send them a tape audition!

Raven
05-17-2011, 07:05 PM
that's a very interesting question JoeD33

almost as profound as the falling tree in the woods
and if no one was there to hear it crash did it make any sound.

tattoobob
05-17-2011, 07:11 PM
You can give a general location like Race Point, The Back Beach, The Canal, Or Plum Island. Please don't give out poll numbers or land marks it just causes problems and fighting

stripermaineiac
05-17-2011, 07:15 PM
The spot burning is one of the best laughs I have. Especially when the one crying foul is someone that learned the spot from someone I showed it to 25 yrs or more ago. LOL. If your willing to put the time in go for it and if you wanna share it well just remember those that cry the loudest do the most spot burning just on a cell phone to their special group. The mine attitude has been around as long as i can remember. Funny i rarely see those types at many of the places I hike too an spend hrs at in the middle of the night.LOL

Thumper
05-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Reguardless if you get skunked or not you are still talking about a specfic spot, how do you think that is spot burning :confused: It's really very simple, keep spots off the internet.

JoeD33
05-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks folks. My instincts are the same, no location whatever the circumstances should be revealed and I will keep my skunked spots to myself, heaven forbid someone else should learn of those sites.

quick decision
05-17-2011, 07:48 PM
There have been many places closed to public because of a few arsholes. Better keeping it to yourself. When I first joined the site everytime I caught a fish I wanted to tell everyone. As I became a better fisherman, the erge to do that went away.

fishbones
05-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the site and good joke. Spot burning is only ok if the spots are in NJ.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Goose
05-17-2011, 10:10 PM
spot = four letter word

ivanputski
05-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Loose lips put 4 guys right in your spot next time out... I'd highly advise against it... (Oh, did I mention 4 guys is when you say something in person... on the internet its much worse)

SurfCaster413
05-17-2011, 11:10 PM
You may not wanna spot burn in the forums however, shooting me a PM everytime you are CATCHING fish with exact details is allowed,

jimmy z
05-18-2011, 04:57 AM
Welcome, and IMO, a spot burn is a spot burn whether one catches or not. Just because one doesn't land on one particular outing, does not mean it isn't a producer at another time. It's a spot!

Jackbass
05-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Welcome to the Forum Joe!

FishermanTim
05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Spot burn is not related to sucess or failure when reporting, but rather that a perticular spot is accessible to the masses that would not even consider doing the leg work themselves. Whether you catch or not, revealing a spot will attract some that figure it was just your bad luck and not theirs or it may make them move to other locales without any consideration of whether they are crossing through private property or not.

In other words: it's a lose-lose scenario. You can tell others if you want, but I would advise against it even if they are friends. Remember that all it takes is one "friend" to spill the beans and create a googan bucket rush at your "spot".
Your best bet is just be vague, never specify exact locations/spots and encourage others to "get out and find their own spots"!!!

PaulS
05-18-2011, 12:53 PM
If it's not my spot, fire away.

Welcome!

PRBuzz
05-18-2011, 06:04 PM
The new spot burn medium of choice: FaceBook!

Haus
05-18-2011, 07:50 PM
No spot burning allowed. If you need to get it off your chest and tell someone, just give me a ring. I'm here for you.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device