View Full Version : em pro problems

shark lobster
05-20-2011, 08:19 PM
i just bought in the last month 2 5500 older style em pro ,s and as of the other nite after a few cast it spooled up on me under the spool ,, cleaed it and after 4 cast or more same thing , the other reel was being used and did he same thing a few times ,, very annoying any ideas

Matt D
05-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Did you take the gold wraps off the lineguards? They're supposed to keep the line from getting under the rotor. I'be never had it happen to me. I actually just removed the guards cause I don't care for the noise they make.

Mike P
05-21-2011, 08:41 AM
It can happen if you allow too much slack in the line after your plug hits the water. When you see the plug about to touch down, put your finger against the spool to stop line from coming off, and flip the bail by hand. Give the line a pull after the bail's closed, to make sure that it's tight.

iamskippy
05-21-2011, 10:49 AM
was this professionally spooled? you may have spooled it incorrectly or not tight enough.

shark lobster
05-21-2011, 07:38 PM
It can happen if you allow too much slack in the line after your plug hits the water. When you see the plug about to touch down, put your finger against the spool to stop line from coming off, and flip the bail by hand. Give the line a pull after the bail's closed, to make sure that it's tight.thanks man i think that is it ,,,, yes they were spooled by a pro...:wall:

shark lobster
05-24-2011, 06:54 AM
a follow up on my empro problem ,,, after casting and casting and casting , i found its not the reel, but the rod i have it on ,, the first eyelet is so large that when i rip the reel it gets the line going in to much of a circle loop that it goes outside the reel spool causing it to spool under ,so my next thing is i need a rod suggestion i only throw plugs ,,, i dont jig any help would be great !!!!

Swimmer
05-24-2011, 02:54 PM
a follow up on my empro problem ,,, after casting and casting and casting , i found its not the reel, but the rod i have it on ,, the first eyelet is so large that when i rip the reel it gets the line going in to much of a circle loop that it goes outside the reel spool causing it to spool under ,so my next thing is i need a rod suggestion i only throw plugs ,,, i dont jig any help would be great !!!!

Too large or too close to the reel?

shark lobster
05-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Too large or too close to the reel?i think to large ,,,

Adam_777
05-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Hmm what rod you want depends on a ton of things.What size plugs?Location ? Preferred length ? and how much $$ you want to drop.Good surf rods range from 100$ to 500$ for the high end technical surf rods.May find a decent used one for under 100 in the classifieds section if you post what your looking for.

robc22
05-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Chuck

You gotta grab the line after you cast and tension/spool it back on your reel......really doesn't matter if your throwing plugs or jigs......such is casting of large fixed spool reels......

Mike P
05-24-2011, 08:00 PM

I would think that if that was the issue, you'd have line wrapping around your first guide's foot instead of getting under the spool. That's one of the reasons that Lamiglas is now using those K-frame guides on their top end factory rods.

I used my Em Pros on rods with a big 50 mm collector guide, and the only times I ever had line get under the spool was when I let too much slack line off the reel after the plug hit the water.

Try what Rob suggested---close the bail by hand and give the line a tug before you start reeling. Don't pay to have the first guide replaced or reset closer to the reel until you're sure that's the problem.

shark lobster
05-24-2011, 08:21 PM
I would think that if that was the issue, you'd have line wrapping around your first guide's foot instead of getting under the spool. That's one of the reasons that Lamiglas is now using those K-frame guides on their top end factory rods.

I used my Em Pros on rods with a big 50 mm collector guide, and the only times I ever had line get under the spool was when I let too much slack line off the reel after the plug hit the water.

Try what Rob suggested---close the bail by hand and give the line a tug before you start reeling. Don't pay to have the first guide replaced or reset closer to the reel until you're sure that's the problem.i put reel on another rod threw it 50 times easy and it did not do it once ,, small guides ,,,, thats why i thought it was the rod this is reeely gettin me pissed ,,, i plan on doing alot of fishing this week end but cant with this issue,, both reels doin same thing!

Chunkah
05-25-2011, 07:15 AM
Can you take it somewhere and get the first guide replaced? Maybe give CMS a call.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

shark lobster
05-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Can you take it somewhere and get the first guide replaced? Maybe give CMS a call.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile devicethat would be a great idea man,, i was thinking getting 2 new rods ,,,,i will try that