View Full Version : May 21st.....Time To Remember.

BigFish
05-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Today is the 10th Anniversary of my Dad's passing. A somber day in my life to be sure and the sting of that morning has not dulled as time has passed. Every May 21st since that morning I have marked the day the best way I knew how. My Dad always told me....."Do what makes you happy"......simple words it seemed when he said them but after his passing they rang in my ears just as if he had spoken them to me. I go fishing on the 21st of May. It is what makes me happy and the quiet time affords me the opportunity to reflect and to remember my Father. It is a day I would be unable to work or do much else without being distracted by the events of the date so I take the day off if need be, find a favorite spot and I fish and I am grateful for having had such a wonderful Father. He is so very missed.:fishin:

mrstriper
05-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Larry...very nice way to honor thy father...hope you caught fish to make the day even better...

basswipe
05-21-2011, 03:48 PM
I bet the fishing was good even if you didn't catch anything.

I am very often at odds with my mothers' death.She fished.I fish on that day and sometimes I'm at peace and other times I cry.I'm 42 and now older than my mother was when she died.I have no idea what my thoughts will be come this August 2nd.

Peace to you and your family Larry.

spence
05-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Well said...

thanks,

-spence

BigFish
05-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Larry...very nice way to honor thy father...hope you caught fish to make the day even better...

Actually I did not???? This was the first year I was shut out?? I tried like hell, had a few swirls and a few follows....even did a double shift fishing the Big River and a favorite local spot but no fish. But thats not really what its about as you know......I had a great day and my wife joined me on the second shift fishing so that made it a great day.:)

Haus
05-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Larry, I don't know you but we share a very similar story. My dad past away on September 22, 2002 and I fish that date by myself every year. Except I don't feel like I am by myself. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm looking forward to fishing with my dad this year.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

jimmy z
05-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Yes my friend, whatever makes you happy. I understand how you feel, for I too think of my dad often. I just wish i could have had one more time fishing with him. He loved fishing so!
God bless you and may dad be with you always!:)