View Full Version : Tog Fishing

Got Stripers
05-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Well the last couple trips after getting my striper fix, I've reluctantly broken out the anchor (not my style) and dug out the crab bucket to give this tog fishing another try. Not much luck with the crabs and ironically the only keepers I've brought home have come on plastic.

Last year off Westport on Two Mile Ledge I limped to from the ramp on trolling motor power only (no outboard that morning) and caught tog on 4" split tails and 3/8 oz kalin jig heads, so I tried it again out by Hens and Chickens the past two trips and it worked there as well. I'd relate this to my freshwater bass jig-n-pig days, slow very deliberate retrieve right on the bottom is needed. So far it is 4 keepers on plastic and 0 on crabs. Anchoring up over the right spot in a hard current isn't my forte, but on a trolling motor, I can cover a lot of rocky ledge to get a few takers.

The plus side, is that I'm also dragging the plastic in striper water as well, last year during that trip we boated 6 keeper tog and a 25 lb striper. I remembered that trip when I read the article Crazy Alberto wrote, where he related the tog migration to his large results. I'll have to get out with a tog "expert" from this board at some point, all I seem to have figured out is how to give the tog a free meal:).

Clammer
05-23-2011, 12:25 PM
call Tony {{GOOSE}}:fishin:

Got Stripers
05-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Clammer,
Shouldn't you be on a beach somewhere, I hear the blues are in:).