View Full Version : looking for rod

darkness777
05-23-2011, 01:38 PM
so im new here and i have never been fishing for striped bass but i've seen alot of it on tv and before i deployed a watched someone catch one near me from the river bank. the fish this guy caught was huge, and it looked like he had a lot of fun bringing it in. Anyways, i went fishing today for the first time since ive been back and on my very first cat my rod snaps right in between the 3rd and 4th guides. so now im looking for a new rod. i dont have a lot of money so im looking for something around $40-$60. i want something that i can use for stripers as well as any other freshwater fish. Im thinking of maybe a medium or medium heavy rod should be good. any advice, or what do you use? sorry its so long...any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jackbass
05-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Go with an ugly stick I guess you won't break it and it should be fairly inexpensive. Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
05-23-2011, 02:58 PM
If you want to spend around $100 you could find a decent off the shelf rod. You didn't say whether you were going in the surf, from a boat or sitting on a dock. A good all around rod for boat, mild surf, i.e: beach fishing and on a dock would be an entry level Lami. I haven't looked in a long time as I usually have CMS make my rods but I'm thinking you could find something in the 8 to 9' range for $100 at Bass Pro Shops.

fishbones
05-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Where are you located? I may have an old rod kicking around in the basement if you're interested.

darkness777
05-23-2011, 06:02 PM
im in tn, right now near ft campbell, but im moving to italy soon. right now all i want is a good strong rod that i can use for pretty much anything fresh water and maybe some light saltwater. primarily i fish from the banks but i will probably be renting a boat for my next fishing trip.

JohnR
05-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Don't know what's available down your way but the rod that broke, what were the specs?

Quickest / Cheapest might be to see what is available on a local Craigslist.

I'm guessing that what you would use would be similiar to what we us on inshore stuff, say a 7.5 to 9' lighter rod rated 3/4 ounce to 2 ounce for jigs and plugs.

tattoobob
05-23-2011, 07:48 PM
I would look for a 8 to 9 foot ugly stick

darkness777
05-23-2011, 11:02 PM
the rod i had was a 7' berkley i got from walmart. its a medium action. im not exactly sure why it broke cuz it was just fine last year. i think im going to look into the ugly sticks though. i'll let you know what i decide...or if i need more help
thanks,
Doug