View Full Version : Bombers - Hook Question

Circlehook
05-24-2011, 01:05 PM
I am sick of peeling the tailhook on a bomber/mambo/etc. out of a fishes eye or gill plate. Anyone have any success fishing these with just a front treble? How bad does it screw the action?

Clogston29
05-24-2011, 01:12 PM
i had the same problem and just started crushing the barb on the rear hook. at least its easy to get out now. taking in off really throws them off.

Stewie
05-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Maybe try a bucktail tag, no hook. If it slows the wiggle too much, give it a slight haircut. At some point you should get the same wiggle it had with the treble on the back. Another option is to bend the points into the shank of the hook. This gives the same weight and drag as a treble but the lollipops won't hook anything.

DZ
05-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Circle,
I always hate when that happens to fish. What I've done in the past is to just snip the points off (or just a point or two) the rear treble just above the bend. This will reduce (or eliminate) the chances of that happening without messing with the plugs action.

DZ

toaster816
05-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Not sure about it with bombers but you can certainly get away with just a tag on the back of redfins.

Circlehook
05-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Those are some good idea's guys. I think i will just take to points off the hooks. Have a bunch of old hooks from last year I can use, no sense wasting new hooks.

Thanks!

basswipe
05-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Get rid of the treble an put on an comparable weighted siwash(with crushed barb if you choose).Action remains the same.

bart
05-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Not sure about it with bombers but you can certainly get away with just a tag on the back of redfins.

i fish redfins with just the front treble and have caught some nice fish...

toaster816
05-24-2011, 07:27 PM
i fish redfins with just the front treble and have caught some nice fish...

Definitely speeds up the wiggle, sometimes that's exactly what the fish want. Pretty sure you could fish a redfin without hooks and still somehow get the fish in, fishies love em.