View Full Version : Broke the bottom 9"s from a new SSU

05-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Took a fall after stepping on a rock at the ditch I know to be unstable but did it anyway. On the way down I hit the rod that was resting in between two rocks and snapped it off. Got it home and using a 3' piece from an Arra blank inserted from the bottom and shimmed with masking tape along with 30 minute two-part epoxy put the rod back together. I used my jigs that I have to compress cork to together on the blank, pulling the cut piece of Arra blank up into the bottom of the SSU blank. Also, I cut a 3/4" PVC pipe in half to a length of 8's and placed them on either side of the break, which was fairly regular, with very little shattering of the graphite, and using four hose clamps pulled the old rod (broken SSU blank) up against the Arra blank that was inserted inside the SSU blank heavily coat in two-part epoxy. I undid everything at noon today. The 30 minute epoxy has an 8 hour time frame to make what is being repaired ready for use again. Mid rod I dont think this would work, but the lower ten inches where it broke I think it has a shot. I took the rod outside and made several casting motions and everything seemed O.K. Took some pics of the repair jig I set up but I dont have them with me. The only problem is the the grips were wetup with cork tape, not burl cork. I think when I put it back together, burl cork will be adherred to the rod.

05-25-2011, 10:00 AM
I have never tried this for repairing a rod. I have done something like this to add handle length to bait casting rods. hope it works out. you can always sand off the cork residue and wrap or put burl cork onto the handle.

05-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Swimmer that sounds fine. I've repaired and re designed a few rods over the years. Having the correct insert size is key to strength and adhesion. I've gone as far as making a jetty conventional out of 3 rods. Made the glue splice under the reel seat and utulized a ferrule to connect the other broken section. All were honey glass rods sections. Good job on your part..

06-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I actually have added length to a couple of rods. The last one I did ended up 13 1/2' long. It could cast a 3 oz. metal almost all the way across the canal. Broke the top 18" off of that one, not repairable. The only that happened as a result of the break was thatI couldn't put cork tape back on the rod. I put burl cork on it from the bottom to the reel seat. Now the rod doesn't spin on the lathe because the eyes make it spin off-center. So I have to take four of five of the eyes off and re-wrap after I turn down the burl cork. It should work out fine.

06-08-2011, 02:04 PM
The best way is as you did with a piece from another rod with a similar or same if possibl;e size and taper.

You can use a simple wooden dowel too down near the butt end as you mentioned. This is common to extend butt lengths. I usually just do the repair and clean by scraping then a solvent wipe then cork tape over it all.

06-08-2011, 03:09 PM
nice trick ....

glad you didn't get hurt falling

06-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Update: The repaired rod cast as far as it did before he mishap.