View Full Version : so far... it sucks

niko
05-26-2011, 06:23 AM
every move i make this year has been wrong. i'm a day late to one spot - i fish north on the bank and the bite is to the south - stuck in the fog. i just can't seem to get dialed in on the fish. i guess it will help me appreciate a good trip when it finally happens. but i'll say this - fishing is alot more fun when your catching fish

Back Beach
05-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Don't feel bad. I've yet to catch a fish over 10" in fresh water this year despite endless efforts...I even have a boat.

On another note, I fished the canal last week on Sunday,Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday....needless to say the fish blitzed out big time on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday...I managed to miss the whole thing and only had a handful of small fish to show for the $100 worth of gas I burned. :wall:...even RI Jimmy outfished me last week...:laugha:.. just kidding Jimmy.

Rockfish9
05-26-2011, 06:30 AM
It's not how you start it's how you finish...things have a way of evening out....

RIROCKHOUND
05-26-2011, 06:45 AM
even RI Jimmy outfished me last week...:laugha:.. just kidding Jimmy.

Don't get him started, he has been emailing me every day calling himself 'maroonlite'

iamskippy
05-26-2011, 07:23 AM
every move i make this year has been wrong. i'm a day late to one spot - i fish north on the bank and the bite is to the south - stuck in the fog. i just can't seem to get dialed in on the fish. i guess it will help me appreciate a good trip when it finally happens. but i'll say this - fishing is alot more fun when your catching fish

i'm with ya paul. but at least your gear is still in 1 piece. :rotf2:

piemma
05-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Don't feel bad. I've yet to catch a fish over 10" in fresh water this year despite endless efforts...I even have a boat.

On another note, I fished the canal last week on Sunday,Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday....needless to say the fish blitzed out big time on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday...I managed to miss the whole thing and only had a handful of small fish to show for the $100 worth of gas I burned. :wall:...even RI Jimmy outfished me last week...:laugha:.. just kidding Jimmy.

yeah, well maybe if you returned a phone call every few months you might know what's happening. Not like I haven't been trying!:wall:

Circlehook
05-26-2011, 08:05 AM
I caught a fish on my first cast this year, and it has been all downhill since then. Broken gear, foul hooked fish, mystery breakoffs. I hope this doesn't last all year.

RIJIMMY
05-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Don't get him started, he has been emailing me every day calling himself 'maroonlite'

huh? I have no clue what you're talking about.

up until last week, I never caught a single fish from the canal and then suddenly it was the freakin motherlode. I've never seen that type of action before.

From the boat, its sucked so far. A few small fish but nothing exciting, I hope this weekend changes things.

RIROCKHOUND
05-26-2011, 08:58 AM
busting your chops jac-ass....

bart
05-26-2011, 09:37 AM

I told you I'm hammering them. all fish between 2-3.5 lbs on zoom worms and lizards from shore. my godfather has a couple four lb. fish. there are some real monsters in this spot. I know of an 8 pounder caught there and my godfather had three 5 pounders last May. Haven't even thought about fishing the surf because it's been so good. Let me know if you want to go...

The Dad Fisherman
05-26-2011, 10:09 AM
So far, in the grand Scheme of fishing, 2011 has been outstanding for me so far.

Back in January had the best smelt trip ever.
Late April Early May the Freshwater fishing was pretty steady
Early May the Carp Fishing was excellent....had the best day ever one Saturday Morning.
And the Past week I've limited out on Floundah twice from the Kayak.
This weekend I start chasing the Striped ones...so hopefully it continues

blondterror
05-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Getting skunked early on should be good karma for later.. I have had good luck thus far and have caught keepa sized fish every time but once this year... the big diff for me is little daylight fishing (90% night/1st light) and fishing quality moving water where I have done well in the past... last night was a 39 inch fish caught on the north side of the cape and some smaller 30ish fish on black swimming plugs

Sea Dangles
05-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I have released every bass caught from boat and shore so far.Begging for good karma.

chefchris401
05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Everything this season has been flipped upside down.

Last season my go to spot was killer on the dropping tide, this year it's only producing on the incoming high tide.

Did manage two nice fish back to back last night. Then went for a nice swim out to some big rocks, that water is cold.

Slow start for me so far, but it's picking up finally!!

Stay safe out there guys.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

SeaMule
05-26-2011, 12:10 PM
I caught a fish on my first cast this year, and it has been all downhill since then. Broken gear, foul hooked fish, mystery breakoffs. I hope this doesn't last all year.

Check your guides (especially the tip) Often the guide insert will crack (hit a rock, car door, or cast a barrel swivel through it). Sometimes you can't even see it, however run a cotton swab through the eye and see if it tugs on any of the cotton fibers. If so, replace the eye and your mystery will be history.

Liv2Fish
05-26-2011, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=RIJIMMY;861354]huh? I have no clue what you're talking about. up until last week, I never caught a single fish from the canal and then suddenly it was the freakin motherlode. I've never seen that type of action before.

There's a period in the spring when the fish make the run through the canal in clouds. This can be over a period of 1-2 weeks and if you're there when the clouds go by, you can be on almost every cast. It can be day or night but once this is over with, switch to nights or bring a book.

Given the fact the fish have been penned up in BB for a while waiting for the temps to break, I would bet it will be quick this year.

Last year it was the late east tide on Memorial Day that brought the first clouds. I had taken Friday off and fished every tide on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and the first half of Monday. I got frustrated and decided to spend the last half of Monday with the wife and missed the show.

Sounds like I missed it again this year as I was away on vacation and haven't fished the canal yet. I was hopping to get in on it this weekend.:wall:

ProfessorM
05-27-2011, 06:39 AM
sorry guys. I won't make you feel worse, I'm too tired.

maddmatt
05-27-2011, 07:08 AM

if u quit now it will stop

PRBuzz
05-27-2011, 07:41 AM
every move i make this year has been wrong. but i'll say this - fishing is alot more fun when your catching fish

You should not have turned me down yesterday, another wrong move...killed the cod yesterday! O.D. M is sore today from hauling in so many (big) fish.

Circlehook
05-27-2011, 08:48 AM
if u quit now it will stop

I know, I should give up. I'm cursed:devil2:

niko
05-27-2011, 12:20 PM
QUOTE=PRBuzz;861560]You should not have turned me down yesterday, another wrong move...killed the cod yesterday! O.D. M is sore today from hauling in so many (big) fish.[/QUOTE]

you dirty birds don't know what a big cod is :bshake:. we had a solid day today so i'm feeling a little better

PRBuzz
05-27-2011, 12:28 PM
:. we had a solid day today so i'm feeling a little better

Cod or flatties?

niko
05-27-2011, 12:36 PM
flatties and bass.