View Full Version : Casting Eggs

UserRemoved
05-26-2011, 01:19 PM
YouTube - ‪Surf Fishing : Roger Martin on a Casting Egg‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17XoNP3Ic8I&feature=player_embedded)

Nice video Zeno put up today. Salty's is the only commercial mfg of casting eggs and they're one of our biggest sellers.

Pretty much a rehash of what we been saying for years but a good video on how they work.

Casting Eggs (http://www.saltys.co/casting%20eggs.htm)

Crest Daddy
05-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I just picked 1 up from a local shop. Can't wait to try it out.

UserRemoved1
05-26-2011, 05:12 PM
CD it's a great way of fishing worm hatches and funny fish too. 8' rod and smaller I recommend the 1 oz, Any rod over 8 is a 2 oz so it loads the rod better.

If anyone else is interested in trying one put CASTING EGG into the discount field of the cart until Sunday night and we'll give you 10% off. We recommend you rig these before you go out on the beach or boat, put them in a zip lock bag. Put a angler clip on the end of the leader...it lets you change the fly/bucktail quickly.

slow eddie
05-26-2011, 05:29 PM
as far as i know they have been around for 50 yrs.+. sylvester made them popular. use with a bucktail and pork rind in white water.
deadly........

UserRemoved1
05-26-2011, 05:41 PM
yes not my invention. I found it in a book at the library 10 years ago. I own a copy if the original book now also.

Currently working on a new twist of this original design also.

ivanputski
05-26-2011, 11:40 PM
There are some days where the casting egg saves the day! It basically allows you to become a fly fisherman on the spot if you need to

striperjerk1
05-27-2011, 03:00 PM
I like the egg but for sandy beaches i use a tin { kastmaster , hopkins } on the bottom w/ leader and a sandeel fly pattern. :uhuh:

UserRemoved1
09-24-2011, 01:26 PM
:spam: of the best kind

"I can not tell you how successful my surf casting has become since
using your casting eggs.
A 22# and 21# striper last weekend.
What pound test swivel do you use?
Thanks.
XXX XXXX
Charlestown, RI"

Raven
09-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Currently working on a new twist
of this original design also.

how's that comin Dude

zimmy
09-24-2011, 03:14 PM
The ones I have used always seem to crack when they hit the water. Guess I have to give Scott's a try.

UserRemoved1
10-07-2011, 03:01 PM
feedback of the best kind 40" 22lb :kewl:

http://www.saltys.co/images/gilstriper10062011.jpg

SINGING REELS
10-09-2011, 05:08 AM
It should also be noted that back in the days when the ladies would mend socks they used an wood egg that they would place inside the sock to mend it. These eggs may still be available where thread and needles are still being sold. They were one of the first casting eggs that I made up . Simply drill a hole through the egg and wire it like a plug, with a loop on each end. As the vidio above shows the use of a small jig can be upgraded to a larger one, depending upon the size of the egg you use..

The use of an casting egg does provide for more opportunities in some locations where the surf surges provide all the motion one needs with out even moving the egg once you cast it out.

SINGING REELS
10-09-2011, 05:22 AM
It also is noted that one can place a eel or a sand eel or sea worm in place of the fly or jig and have great results in areas where the surges along the edges will keep the bait in some what of a normal presentation. That is if one has an open mind as to catching a fish, under any means.