View Full Version : When the bass stop biting

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
You can catch some mussels and winckles. Yup I'm a greenhorn for sure but what a good free meal. The winkles in the pic are not cooked. We just boil them with a bunch of crushed pepper. Those mussels are quick and put up a hell of a fight!!!:drool:

fishbones
06-07-2011, 12:17 PM
You can catch some mussels and winckles. Yup I'm a greenhorn for sure but what a good free meal. The winkles in the pic are not cooked. We just boil them with a bunch of crushed pepper. Those mussels are quick and put up a hell of a fight!!!:drool:

I'm confused. When you said you love winckles, I thought you meant something else.:rotf2:

That really does look good, though. I remember the first time I fished with Seamule, it was real slow. I looked over at him in the dark and noticed he ket bending over and picking things up and putting them in his pockets. He was collecting snails for a salad. I fealt bad when I realized he put so much effort in that I didn't have the heart to tell him about the Red Tide warning sign that he missed on the way in.

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-07-2011, 02:35 PM
:rotf2:

I'm confused. When you said you love winckles, I thought you meant something else.:rotf2:

That really does look good, though. I remember the first time I fished with Seamule, it was real slow. I looked over at him in the dark and noticed he ket bending over and picking things up and putting them in his pockets. He was collecting snails for a salad. I fealt bad when I realized he put so much effort in that I didn't have the heart to tell him about the Red Tide warning sign that he missed on the way in.

chefchris401
06-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Jay you are a true greenhorn and damn proud too!!

wheres the salted cod and sweet bread. :rotf2:

The Back Eddy in westport has one of the best mussel dishes Ive ever eaten, i got the recipe from aaron, real simple with some exotic ingredients.

The nice thing mussels is their free or real cheap if you buy em, and pretty easy to get without much skill.

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Jay you are a true greenhorn and damn proud too!!

wheres the salted cod and sweet bread. :rotf2:

The Back Eddy in westport has one of the best mussel dishes Ive ever eaten, i got the recipe from aaron, real simple with some exotic ingredients.

The nice thing mussels is their free or real cheap if you buy em, and pretty easy to get without much skill.

Salted cod and sweet bread are at Marques market:drool:
I was always scared of mussels until I finaly tried them while bussing tables at the old China Royal in Fall River Mussels Hunan Style. Man those were killah!!!

I'm greenhorn and proud but I'm pretty pissed I didn't bring home any Mac's from the canal for the table. TonyO is dying to try them

piemma
06-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Here's a real simple recipe for steamed mussles.

Garlic, green onions, cilantro some white wine and olive oil. Put the mussles in a pot with all that stuff chopped up and maybe a cup of water. Boil until the mussles open. I guarentee you will love it.

slow eddie
06-08-2011, 08:59 AM
jay, u make a fellow gee proud. used to cook up the winkles in a broth for my grandma. then whe would pick them out with a hat pin. very tasty but a bitch to get a mouthfull.

FishermanTim
06-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Here's a real simple recipe for steamed mussles.

Garlic, green onions, cilantro some white wine and olive oil. Put the mussles in a pot with all that stuff chopped up and maybe a cup of water. Boil until the mussles open. I guarentee you will love it.

Don't forget the crusty bread to dunk in the broth!:drool::drool:
Oh, and also don't leave out the cold pilsner!:cheers:

piemma
06-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Indeed! Thanks Tim, I forgot the bread

O.D. Mike
06-09-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm greenhorn and proud but I'm pretty pissed I didn't bring home any Mac's from the canal for the table. TonyO is dying to try them

Someone who I used to work with wanted me to give him macs to sashimi them up. He said if he was on the boat, he would just start eating them live....:yak5:

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Someone who I used to work with wanted me to give him macs to sashimi them up. He said if he was on the boat, he would just start eating them live....:yak5:

Thats not me:yak5:
I take the tinks gut em roll em in minced garlic,crushed pepper then flour and pan fry them until crispy.

O.D. Mike
06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Thats not me:yak5:
I take the tinks gut em roll em in minced garlic,crushed pepper then flour and pan fry them until crispy.

Some people call it bait, some people call it dinner....

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Some people call it bait, some people call it dinner....

Trust me I know. Some guy Tony busts my bag all of the time for eating the bait. Beats spaghetti and meatballs every night.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

t.orlando
06-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Don't make me put up that picture of you and your favorite meat item.