View Full Version : WHat gear do I need ?

cheferson
06-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Just made the plunge!! :jump1:Got a hobie PA !! Looking for advice for what accessories and gear I should get? I got a cart , maybe a PFD , if my old one is no bueno ... WHat else?

blondterror
06-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Get a comfortable PFD, GPS/FF, leashes for rods...., figure out what you what for rod holder(s)... Ram or Scotty.... , stern light for Joppa flats at night

Tektite - LED Flashlights, LED Replacement Bulbs, Dive Lights, IR, Strobes, Marker Lights, UV, CSI, LZ kits, & Tekna Knives and lites (http://www.tek-tite.com/src/product_info.php?id=2163)

cheferson
06-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks!

ANother question , SHould I buy most accessories at the dealer and get the 0 sales tax? Or would it be cheaper better to shop around online? Are the Hobie accessories what I should be looking at for rod holders , etc or other brands?

Thanks , Kayaks is one thing I really know little about . I have a lot to learn!

blondterror
06-11-2011, 11:34 AM
New England small boat (Hobie Dealer) in Rowley has most everything you need... the sternlite I bought online.. I also bought a green/red bowlite but no one in yaks uses them in Joppa so power boats think you are a powerboat

BigFish
06-11-2011, 11:53 AM
You will find you do not want to peddle with bare feet as you will blister! I highly (and I mean HIGHLY) recommend the NRS boots! Go to Austinkayak.com and they are a great place to deal with, offer 15% off alot and free shipping alot!! I order alot of stuff right from them! I will get the style name for the NRS boots! The NRS Boots are comfortable as all hell for peddling!!!:uhuh: I loved them and got some for my wife and she loves them!!

BigFish
06-11-2011, 11:55 AM
NRS Cross-4 Wet Shoe! Reasonably priced as well!!! Did I mention how comfy they are?? Also buy a Hobie Lipper.....Austin Kayak has them as well!

BigFish
06-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Chef......I recommend this to others and it is very important. You need to be able to climb back into your kayak should it roll in deep water. Take your yak out in fresh water first! Test drive it, get used to it and here is the important part......get out of your kayak in water over your head (10 feet deep) and practice climbing into your kayak for safety sake! You will one day find yourself in the water......this was the best piece of advice I received!!:uhuh:

BigFish
06-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Also you got the PA? How are you transporting it?? I had a devil of a time ironing out a comfortable method for me....and I own a truck!!!

Nebe
06-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Congrats on your purchase Chef!! do a google search for "kayak rigging" to see ways to rig your kayak. bought my Yak from Mac and he did a great job of outfitting my Revo.

I recommend a Ram tube rod holder. on my old redfish i had a rod holder with a rubber strap to hold the rod and it was ridiculous.. the tube just lets you drop it in.

Buy some leashes for your rods and gear just in case.

BigFish
06-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I would not rush Chef! Get the necessities and start out by checking out others rigs and see how they do things! Ask questions and use the search function to do some research here on S-B and the other site in the yak forum! Also check out Newenglandkayakfishing.com......great site for yakkers!!!

cheferson
06-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks!

Will just grab the essentials and get the rest later!

Nebe
06-11-2011, 07:11 PM
to start, i would buy a fish finder. I have an Eagle Cuda 300.. its nice. All i care about is depth and structure..

I also have a garmin etrex gps to track location boat speed for trolling.

Bigfish is right.. take it slow.

The Dad Fisherman
06-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Go to NEKF and all will be answered....

New England Kayak Fishing (http://www.newenglandkayakfishing.com)