View Full Version : First Striper from shore

albin35
06-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Finally caught a fish from shore and on the Canal. Horah for me. Last couple of seasons i've tried thowing plugs lures and bait from the pier a scusset beach. This time my brother and I went further down to the beach and fished the rocks. Caught a Schoolie it had nice girth for a 25" fish.threw it back green. It was a long wait but I finally caught one. My brother caught a schoolie also and droped a keeper sadly.

chefchris401
06-11-2011, 09:55 PM
stick with it man, theres bigger fish out there, you got your first one, now just a keeper. Congrats :fishin::cheers:

chaz
06-12-2011, 10:47 AM
about what time and direction of current ,i have noticed that current flowing from the beach area to buzzards bay seems best,thats when i have caught the most fish and like you say it was only like 25 26 inch or smaller.good fish but not legal keeper.

Swimmer
06-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Finally caught a fish from shore and on the Canal. Horah for me. Last couple of seasons i've tried thowing plugs lures and bait from the pier a scusset beach. This time my brother and I went further down to the beach and fished the rocks. Caught a Schoolie it had nice girth for a 25" fish.threw it back green. It was a long wait but I finally caught one. My brother caught a schoolie also and droped a keeper sadly.

Congrats............You'll be in the Twelve Step Program with the rest of us shortly.:fishin:

Tight Lines

Fly Rod
06-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Congratulations!! :)

Saltheart
06-12-2011, 01:14 PM
For some the first one takes a long time. The second should come with much less time inbetween than the first. Then you should start getting several each season then you'll hope for several every trip. So you are off the starting line now. :)

DMenace
06-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Well done, my man. Keep em coming.

tattoobob
06-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Don't be to concerned with size, just be happy to catch one or two on each trip. I bought and and read every striper how to book I could find and learned alot, also just sit back and watch and make a mental note of what others are doing and using in the areas your fishing

Good luck and congrats

Stripersurg
06-12-2011, 02:41 PM
First of many to come, congratulations

Gobi
06-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Congrats!

numbskull
06-12-2011, 04:48 PM
For some the first one takes a long time. The second should come with much less time inbetween than the first. Then you should start getting several each season then you'll hope for several every trip.

......Then you'll eventually get so you can't catch crap anymore but can live on the glory days of the distant past.

It is called "Back Beaching"

RIROCKHOUND
06-12-2011, 06:08 PM
about what time and direction of current ,i have noticed that current flowing from the beach area to buzzards bay seems best,thats when i have caught the most fish and like you say it was only like 25 26 inch or smaller.good fish but not legal keeper.

No offense, but are you seriously trolling a thread for details on a report based on a 25" fish? :smash:

Albin.
well done.
welcome to the addicted.

chaz
06-12-2011, 07:05 PM
:smash:seems to be the general consensus of what is really being picked up around that area lately.as far as larger fish they seem to be furthur out

albin35
06-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Just after slack tide my fish was landed. Some guys closer to the jetty were on bigger fish earlier and hour before high tide. I will need to make a pilgrimage to tackle shops in search of wooden pencil plugs. My brother got two made by a friend of ours he moved to left coast for work. I lost one of his plugs that hurt as much not being able to keep the schoolie I caught. Details about time and tides art someting i should have included.

StriperZ
06-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Way to go! Perseverance will pay off in the long run.

piemma
06-13-2011, 12:49 PM
:smash:seems to be the general consensus of what is really being picked up around that area lately.as far as larger fish they seem to be furthur out

Are you nuts? We been getting 30#+ fish for a month from the shores of the Large Ditch. Don't mislead the poor lad. He's additcted as it is.:wall:

Besides, if you are in the Canal how far is further out, the other side?:rotf2:

fishbones
06-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Only for the people that aren't fishing that side.:grins:

chaz
06-13-2011, 04:25 PM
like the ocean,not trying to mislead anyone,this is the info i get from people i speak with when i am there among others that say the same.
30 # fish this month?
also was just stated that was near the jetty wich is also a very good spot.
not trying to start a pissing contest here, fish on people fish on...

albin35
06-13-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm giving up on the fish pier. I liked high speed jigging action as I walked the length. The jetty is where the fish are. I would like recomendations on a fowl proof conventional reel. Is there such a breed?

tattoobob
06-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Are you nuts? We been getting 30#+ fish for a month from the shores of the Large Ditch. Don't mislead the poor lad. He's additcted as it is.:wall:

Are you kidding me Paul there are no fish in the Canal,

how far is further out? just out of casting range

chaz
06-13-2011, 05:36 PM
how far is further out? just out of casting range
what i trying to say is (off shore)
Are you kidding me Paul there are no fish in the Canal, (exactly)
THANK YOU

chaz
06-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm giving up on the fish pier. I liked high speed jigging action as I walked the length. The jetty is where the fish are. I would like recomendations on a fowl proof conventional reel. Is there such a breed?

i personaly like the penn spinfisher 6 series,i have one and also just purchased the battle ,feels good and no problems yet.
its a good quality unit that you will have for a very long time.:fishin:

piemma
06-14-2011, 01:30 PM
like the ocean,not trying to mislead anyone,this is the info i get from people i speak with when i am there among others that say the same.
30 # fish this month?
also was just stated that was near the jetty wich is also a very good spot.
not trying to start a pissing contest here, fish on people fish on...

Relax will ya? I'm just busting balls. Sheesssh!
These young guys have no sense of humor.
Seriously, yes, 30# this month. I have been in the Canal every night for 10 straight days. Night/0'dark 30 morning tides. Gone by the time it gets light.

I don't like company except the Canal rats and they don't talk.

I know a couple of guys on this board have multiple mid-to high 30# fish.