View Full Version : Advice? Getting in to Boating/Fishing

wbnh
06-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm a Portsmouth, NH shore fisherman who knows no one with boats or technicians at a marina.

I was exploring some of the many options on Craigslist and others for purchase of a used 18-22 Center console for river fishing and maybe a bit of the coast.

Other than "don't do it", what advice do frequent boaters have for getting in to boating?

I haven't yet completed the state boater safety course, which is one prerequisite, but what other instruction is available? Who can teach boating and fishing the seacoast?

What are the options for keeping a boat in the water for the season? I understand that slips and moorings can have wait lists and are hard to get. Are there ever unused ones available mid-season?

Of course money is an issue, so the cheepest options are always appreciated...and I know trailering is cheepest, however I still would like to keep a boat handy in the water, even if it costs a couple of grand to rent a slip.

Thanks for any and all advice/instruction.

fishbones
06-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Get out on some local charters and ask questions about gear, etc... as far as the fishing end of it. You'll also learn some locations. Get to know your boats capabilities and play it safe until you are confident in more challenging conditions. As for slips/moorings, start calling around. With as many people either giving up boating or deciding to trailer, you should be able to find a place to keep your boat at a pro-rated rate. Good luck.

JoeBass
06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
I fish that area every summer for the past 20 years. Luckily my buddy has had a boat, until last year when he sold it.(I'm crying at the thought). That whole area is really great to fish by boat. He had a 20 foot center console with I think a 175 HP motor. It was great in the river and we'd take it all along the coast and out to the Isle of Shoals. He trailered it in and out each time, but had hoped to get a slip. We'd often stop at the Portsmouth public dock, go up and used the restrooms, get something to eat, etc. You live in a terrific town. Personally I have a 19 ft center console bay boat that I use here on Lake Champlain. I don't think I'll be bringing it to Maine though. It would be perfect in the river but I'd only go out in the ocean on nice days and then not very far. Good luck!

capecodder
06-29-2011, 03:53 PM
My advice is to start with a manageable boat that you won't lose too much if you don't like it. It sounds as if you have no experience, so it is possible you will find it not to your liking.

I found that as a surfcaster, it was all about the fishing as there is little to concern yourself with the beach. Of course basic precautions, but the beach is a relatively safe place. Once I got a boat, it was a transition time as boating is now the primary activity and fishing secondary. I mean that safety, operation, maintenance, positioning in the current, maneuvering all are required before you can even begin to fish. It took me some time to develop the skill and confidence.

Start with a manageable boat, and practice. Nothing beats experience.