View Full Version : ABU Review

BasicPatrick
04-23-2003, 12:08 AM
Hello all, I need a little more help than usual...

I am starting to look at buying a new reel for a rod I picked up. I own a bunch and am only familiar with the Abu 7000c3. Today I looked at a green 6600c5 MAg-X. I also saw a blue one that looked nice at the MSBA show.

I am asking for somone to post a breakdown of the different ABU reels in the 6500 & 6600 sizes with some of the features. I am pretty set on level wind but not 100%. The reel is going on a 9' Rod for Herring & Eels

BasicPatrick
04-23-2003, 12:10 AM
To clarify...I am very familiar with the available Penn, Newell, Shimano and Accurate products. I love the 7000c3 and want to learn a bit more as I choose.

Thanks in advance

JohnR
04-23-2003, 08:03 AM
I'd still consider throwing on the 7K with live buckeyes but I think you can do no wrong with a 6500 CS Mag Elite or a 6500CL Big Game or the other "international" reels like the pro rocket, cs, blue yonder, etcetera, etcetera... Wasn't impressed by the MagX I saw - not the same reel as the favorite Mag Elite that we all know & love... A solid honerable mention - and best bang for the buck at less than 90 - is the 6500TCST, a lower geared 5.3-1, Big Handled, C4 like reel with the striper logo on the side...

The one thing that is really needed on those reels is to upgrade the drags to the Extreme Schmoothies... and I'd recommend the power handle on any with the stock paddle handle

Fishaddict
04-23-2003, 08:09 AM
Accurate.... :drool: Mmmmm..... :drool:
Fishaddict wants an Accurate :hf1:
Will trade Abu for Accurate :jump1: :humpty:

Saltheart
04-23-2003, 08:47 AM
There are so many now it would be hard to even list all the 6500 size ABU's. the 6600 designation means a center thumb bar free spool release.

I think the big handle John mentioned like on the BG series is a must. The little paddle handles suck. The difference between a C3 and a C4 is the levelwind bearing. There is also a faster retrieve ratio in the C4. I think the faster retrieve is an advantage sometimes and a disadvantage other times but thats a personal decision based on your area and intended application.

I like the BG6500CL and the BG7000CL.

The only problem I ever had with the Mag Elite is the mag casting control slider getting bumped forward by accident. When that happens , its a guaranteed blow up. My solution is to tape it in place with black tape at about a 1.5 setting.

I've had all kinds of ABU's in all sizes from 5500 to 9000 size and most models including C3 , C4 , Mag elite , Ultracast , Morrum , and Big Game and I always end up back using my levelwind Big Games.