View Full Version : BLAM goes my rod....

redlite
06-13-2011, 03:57 PM
The dreaded has happened.
By beloved Arra 1205 blew up on a cast the other nite. Words truly can't describe how distraught I am. She was a tiresome workhorse for me. 27 40#'s and a 50# on her.
At least I retired her with one last 40#.

Now I have to do battle with Lamiglass over both of them (one that blew up 2 yrs ago that I never sent back) that are broken. They BETTER do somethin for me. Issue is gonna be that I don't have receipts.

Down to a loaner 1201 from Krispy. If that breaks, I am gonna be fishin with an ugly stick. Sucks bein poor.
Sad, sad time. She will be missed.
End of o' bitchuary.

PRBuzz
06-13-2011, 04:04 PM
If that breaks, I am gonna be fishin with an ugly stick.

Sorry to hear about your favorite stick, however fishing with the Ugly will heighten your other senses for the fishing world, like being blind, deaf, etc.:)

Stewie
06-13-2011, 04:33 PM
You don't have to fish an UglyStik, I'll happily loan you my $29 BassPro Spinning rod, it even has foam grips.:uhuh:

tattoobob
06-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Sorry for your loss

Rob Rockcrawler
06-13-2011, 04:53 PM
What were you throwing when you broke it?

toaster816
06-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent.

redlite
06-13-2011, 05:27 PM
What were you throwing when you broke it?

Rod 1 - 3oz Ronz
Rod 2- small eel

Both broke in almost the same place - half.

Adam_777
06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
I'll loan you a decent rod.Just PM me your spot and I'll meet you there with it.:rotf2:

Raven
06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
you need more back bone

ivanputski
06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Yikes... That is scary, since my go-to work horse is a 1205 (factory). I absolutely love that rod. Its scary as hell that you snapped it throwing a small eel because I have been throwing monster rigged eels with it this month... Its so hard to believe how it could snap since its such a meat stick. Please tell me that this isnt my eventual fate!!!

Slingah
06-13-2011, 08:39 PM
you should be a Lami prostaffer......ask them for a free one...those numbers are quite the endorsement

spence
06-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Rods aren't designed to last forever. Sounds like you got your monies worth.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

5/0
06-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey Mike fish with the Ugly stick,it'll put some more meat on yur shoulders
Just sayin:hihi:

Tagger
06-14-2011, 03:29 AM
Sorry for your loss .. At least she went fishing ,, not in a car door . :fishin:

Jackbass
06-14-2011, 06:17 AM
I would say you got your moneys worth. I would absolutely send one back with a pic of you and a 40 pound fish, and the story of how many fish you caught with it.

1dozenraw
06-14-2011, 06:31 AM
I thought the 1205s were less apt to fail than some other Arra models. Am I wrong? I have a 1205 and bought it partly because I had read it had a reputation for being more rugged than other Arra models. Just wondering.

Stewie
06-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Had to be user error:smash:

Mike P
06-14-2011, 06:49 AM
I would say you got your moneys worth. I would absolutely send one back with a pic of you and a 40 pound fish, and the story of how many fish you caught with it.

Probably not a good idea. That'll really convince Lamiglas that the rod was defective, and they're sure to give him a new one under warranty once they hear that he landed 27 fish over 40 and one over 50. :doh:

JohnR
06-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Sorry to hear about your favorite stick, however fishing with the Ugly will heighten your other senses for the fishing world, like being blind, deaf, etc.:)

Fishing with yarn and a coke can will do almost as much as the Ugly Stick to raise one's fishing acuity.

Probably not a good idea. That'll really convince Lamiglas that the rod was defective, and they're sure to give him a new one under warranty once they hear that he landed 27 fish over 40 and one over 50. :doh:

Yeh, unlike baseball, me don't think Lami will respond with a thank you contract for past success.

Thumper
06-14-2011, 07:14 AM
I sure hope they replace the rods, considering all the attention that st criox and century have been getting, I'm sure their sales are down.

zimmy
06-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Had to be user error:smash:

That's the answer I got from Lami, too.

zimmy
06-14-2011, 07:22 AM
by the way, 27 40's is ridiculous. I'll trade you a rod for some mentoring :devil2:

JohnR
06-14-2011, 07:26 AM
by the way, 27 40's is ridiculous. I'll trade you a rod for some mentoring :devil2:

Its a pretty toxic mix of waderpee and chewspittle - not really sure you want to go there...

1dozenraw
06-14-2011, 07:28 AM
by the way, 27 40's is ridiculous. I'll trade you a rod for some mentoring :devil2:+1.

ThrowingTimber
06-14-2011, 08:25 AM
thoughts and prayers sent

fishbones
06-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Sorry to hear about the rod. If you haven't called Lami yet, call and explain what happened. I had a Lami break a few years ago due to user error and they replaced it for just the cost of shipping, without me having the receipt. Probably depends on who you talk to over there, but I would imagine they'll do something for you. Especially since it broke on a cast and not from misusing it.

Mike P
06-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Fishing with yarn and a coke can will do almost as much as the Ugly Stick to raise one's fishing acuity.

Yeh, unlike baseball, me don't think Lami will respond with a thank you contract for past success.

Plus the fact that the rods are already carrying someone else's name on them. I doubt they're going to re-name them in Mike's honor.

DZ
06-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Redlite,
Just curious if you use braid or mono? I've been casting for a long time and have never had a rod blow up on me - I strictly use mono. I know the freshwater largemouth bass circuit had all sorts of problems with busting rods when using braid. Since I've been working at the Edge I see the rods returned all the time - broken in various places. Most seem to be broken while using braid. Maybe a connection. Of course I'm sure your sticks are put through the most severe tests/environments - could have been easily nicked by a barnacle. One other thing - not sure Lami or any other rod manufacturer would consider swimming/wet suiting with the rod as "normal use" but that's just my opinion. Hopefully in your case they will come through. Call Arden or Pete G at the shop for their advice.

DZ

rizzo
06-14-2011, 09:55 AM
I have a 1205 and I BABY it! Never set it down on rocks or using it to push off the bottom wetsuiting - I have this feeling its gonna break if it gets a scratch in it from all I've heard.

I think the GSBs are a much more durable blank but you mentioned the action is too slow for your liking in the past. Maybe talk to a good rod builder and have them cut the blank a bit and add some length to the butt section to match the 1205 action? A friend of mine had this done, and its very similar action to the 1205, and cost about half as much for the blank! 1201ls and 1201ms are a good one to use for that.

Back Beach
06-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Sad part is it wasn't even his rod...he pirated the thing and claimed it as his own...:laugha: Kinda like eminent domain with fishing tackle...

If I were the owner of that rod I'd demand it be replaced today, plus five years interest...:lama:

I actually can't believe it lasted as long as it did, its a miracle...it was cetainly well built.

bassballer
06-14-2011, 10:46 AM
I blew up a 1202 last year and the builder had to battle with lami to replace the blank. They said it looked like i had broke it. It blew up casting a 2.5 danny.

zimmy
06-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Its a pretty toxic mix of waderpee and chewspittle - not really sure you want to go there...

I don't dip, but I can pis myself. Will that get me 13.5 40's or is the mix necessary?

JohnnySaxatilis
06-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Ask Westportmafia about his Ron Arra story :rotf2: more like a saltwateredge.com story:uhuh:

SeaMule
06-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Mike,

Firstly, sorry for the loss. Now the facts: You were an OTW Angler of the year, you know alot of people that either fish Lami's or are interested in buying one. Let Lamiglas know that. Who knows, there may be an Arra and Crazy Alberto already, however the latest edition the "Red Lite Special" may be next!

Good Luck

Tagger
06-14-2011, 02:42 PM
No doubt mono stretch is easier on the rod and the angler . as is fiberglass over graphite for that matter . How much power can you get out of a rod before it starts working on you ? The answer my friend is blowing in the wind ..

Slipknot
06-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Well if they don't replace it for some reason like a nick on the blank or some other nonsense, then I suppose we can have a fundraiser for you since you are poor.

Pete F.
06-14-2011, 06:58 PM
St Croix or Century might be interested in having you fish on of their rods. You gotta ask the right person.

Saltheart
06-14-2011, 08:20 PM
I beat the hell out of my 1205 and yes , someday it will break at a ding I put in it falling down or dropping it or it sliding off the car , etc. If you gets several years and lots of heavy use from a rod , it owes you nothing. If you walk out with a new one , catch one fish and it breaks on the next cast , you deserve a new rod. To me its like LLBeane warrantee. Some people get a good pair of leather boots and wear then twenty years and are happy. Some take those well worn 20 year old boots to the store and demand a free replacement pair.

Anyway , just cause a rod breaks after years of heavy use does not mean there is anything wrong with the product line.

Now , if you get new one from Lami fine , if not , I think the smart move right now is to buy a century. Time and technology march on and lets face it , the Arra blanks are a 20 year old or older product line.

Krispy
06-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Pls drive down to CT and return my 1201, I need to hang it in the basement for dust retrieval purposes. :)