View Full Version : CTS Rods, 1 Piece

Surf Caster
06-13-2011, 09:10 PM
I have heard a few guys on the east coast are getting to test the new 1 piece 10 ft blanks from CTS, has anyone on here had any experience with them?

I want to consolidate my rods and sell a few off and build a new 10fter. I was going to immediately go for a 10 ft GSB 120 1M wrapped NGC, but would love to know if anyone has any experience with the 1 piece CTS blank yet.

I was going to post this in the rod building forum, but given its not actually about building the rod, I thought I'd start here first, so sorry if I'm in the wrong forum. :smash:

Thanks all.

JohnR
06-14-2011, 07:23 AM
I have heard a few guys on the east coast are getting to test the new 1 piece 10 ft blanks from CTS, has anyone on here had any experience with them?

I want to consolidate my rods and sell a few off and build a new 10fter. I was going to immediately go for a 10 ft GSB 120 1M wrapped NGC, but would love to know if anyone has any experience with the 1 piece CTS blank yet.

I was going to post this in the rod building forum, but given its not actually about building the rod, I thought I'd start here first, so sorry if I'm in the wrong forum. :smash:

Thanks all.

Right place for this question - yeh, I'm interested too.

afterhours
06-14-2011, 07:40 AM
i'm waiting on one, will report when i fish it.

rphud
06-14-2011, 08:26 AM
I have been waiting and will continue, and anxiously at that!

Does Mike have these yet?

Mike P
06-14-2011, 09:08 AM
I have been waiting and will continue, and anxiously at that!

Does Mike have these yet?

Last time I checked, two-piece blanks only.

I'm not sure whether the one-piece blanks are in full production, or just in the field testing stage.

Sgt Striper
06-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Have you tested out the 2 pc.????? Nothing wrong with them at all. Many need to get out of the 1 pc. mindset and try the new 2 pc. rods!! And since they are being shipped from N.Z. I expect you will be paying extra for the added shipping costs.

Surf Caster
06-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Have you tested out the 2 pc.????? Nothing wrong with them at all. Many need to get out of the 1 pc. mindset and try the new 2 pc. rods!! And since they are being shipped from N.Z. I expect you will be paying extra for the added shipping costs.

I'll likely test a 2 piece as well, but would prefer one piece.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mike P
06-15-2011, 01:27 PM
I've always insisted on one piece rods too, but once you see how the ferrules on these rods are machined, how tightly they fit, and how the tip/butt division is seamless and isn't noticeable when the rod is flexed, you'll be sold on them.

Ease of transport/storage isn't a big deal for me, but I look at it this way: rods break, and it doesn't cost nearly as much to ship a two piece rod back to the manufacturer or distributor under warranty as it does to ship a one piece that breaks a foot from the tip. Also, with a modern guide layout that puts all of the guides on the tip section, if you need to replace a reel seat, or have to replace the shrink wrap grip material, no need to strip down the whole blank and turn a $20 repair into a $150 total re-wrap.

Surf Caster
06-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I agree 2 piece technology is great these days, it's just annoying when the pieces twist and guides become misaligned which happens on a couple of my 2 piece rods.

Sgt Striper
06-15-2011, 02:52 PM
I've always insisted on one piece rods too, but once you see how the ferrules on these rods are machined, how tightly they fit, and how the tip/butt division is seamless and isn't noticeable when the rod is flexed, you'll be sold on them.

Ease of transport/storage isn't a big deal for me, but I look at it this way: rods break, and it doesn't cost nearly as much to ship a two piece rod back to the manufacturer or distributor under warranty as it does to ship a one piece that breaks a foot from the tip. Also, with a modern guide layout that puts all of the guides on the tip section, if you need to replace a reel seat, or have to replace the shrink wrap grip material, no need to strip down the whole blank and turn a $20 repair into a $150 total re-wrap.

What he said!! :uhuh::uhuh: plus 1 piece rods tend to break easier...when you close a door on em:rotf2:

Mike P
06-15-2011, 03:20 PM
I agree 2 piece technology is great these days, it's just annoying when the pieces twist and guides become misaligned which happens on a couple of my 2 piece rods.

The ferrules on some of the newest 2 piece rods are so well machined, and fit so tightly, that twist isn't the big problem--getting the rod apart after a couple of fishing session is. ;)