View Full Version : arrg.

Nebe
06-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Dropped my fluke rod and Avet SX off of my yak last night. :fury::fury:I guess that is why people use lanyards huh??

but to salvage the evening, i proceeded to use my largemouth rod with 8 pound test to crush many many 15-20 lb bass and get towed all over the place.

By the end of the night, i had forgotten about my rod... :hihi:

Im going to go snorkel for it right now.. I took some bearings and maybe i will find it :huh:

fishbones
06-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Bummer, hopefully you find it. Sounds like a great night other than the lost rod, though!

albin35
06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Good luck on the retrieve. I lost daiwa 50 and a custom jigging rod on a cod charter last year. Fortunately someone on the other side of boat jigged it up in 200' of water. I hope you get it back.

vineyardblues
06-14-2011, 10:06 AM
ouch, broke the reel seat on a new penn after catching a bass and everything went in the water off the boat.
Good luck finding it :)

JFigliuolo
06-14-2011, 10:21 AM
love it? leash it....

I VERY expensive lesson I learned last year.

Nebe
06-14-2011, 10:21 AM
It's gonna be cold. :(
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

toaster816
06-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Hope you find it man. What rod was it?

Nebe
06-14-2011, 11:22 AM
My favorite.. A star stellar lite

RIROCKHOUND
06-14-2011, 11:23 AM
It's gonna be cold. :(

Oh suck it up. It was a lot colder in Newport Harbor in early December! :smash:

good luck!

bassballer
06-14-2011, 11:30 AM
My favorite.. A star stellar lite

Great fluke rod!

Nebe
06-14-2011, 12:27 PM
No luck finding my rod, but I could have limited out on black feesh if I had my hawian sling.

RIROCKHOUND
06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
No luck finding my rod, but I could have limited out on black feesh if I had my hawian sling.

and they were in season :smash:

call 'the kid' I bet he'd find it for some beer and gas money....

numbskull
06-14-2011, 01:36 PM

Blackfish like chartreuse ?

ivanputski
06-14-2011, 02:28 PM
I always wondered if anyone ever casted their surf rod right into the ocean by mistake, and never got it back... I'm sure it has happened, but those arent the stories that we are quick to share! I have had some CLOSE calls when washed off a rock and while swimming... with a black rod and reel, good luck finding it even in 3 feet of white water! The thought of casting 1,000 dollars into the ocean is scary!

So.... anyone?

RIROCKHOUND
06-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Blackfish like chartreuse ?

Wow..
Nebe, you lost some weight. Looking good! :biglaugh:

albin35
06-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Bought my first surf rod three years ago in ocean city maryland. got some line and some plastic chad. Hotel on Ocean I'm at surf line casting. venture in up to waist casting, waves come in i jump and again. Mamouth wall of water easy 8' knocked me and rod into ocean. 57$ fishing rod saved lost 500$ eyeglasses.

Sorry you couldn't find the missing gear.

toaster816
06-14-2011, 03:27 PM
I always wondered if anyone ever casted their surf rod right into the ocean by mistake, and never got it back... I'm sure it has happened, but those arent the stories that we are quick to share! I have had some CLOSE calls when washed off a rock and while swimming... with a black rod and reel, good luck finding it even in 3 feet of white water! The thought of casting 1,000 dollars into the ocean is scary!

So.... anyone?

Got swept off a rock last season. Setup went in the drink. Lost my mind. Waited for dead low. Grabbed my gear and went home.

chefchris401
06-14-2011, 03:31 PM

So.... anyone?

Toaster816 has a story like this, the short of it was, fishing solo at night in big surf, makes a cast proceeds to get hit by a wave and washed away cause he only weighs 87 pounds with boots on:rotf2:, drops the rod in surf, its gone, goes back to his truck, sleeps for a few hours, goes back at day break and low tide, the darter and line had swept in and go tangle in some debris, follows it to his vs/legend combo!! Goes home, washes it down, rinses the reel, checks the guides and has been using it ever since.

numbskull
06-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Smart man..........fishing a darter.

Adam_777
06-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Sorry for your loss man.You should try again to find it.Search in quadrants.Don't give up so easily.I just bought an SX.They are a sweet freaking piece of machinery.

Nebe
06-14-2011, 07:03 PM
I did quadrants Adam. With no wetsuit, I was pretty chilly. I might have a friend who dives who might look for me.

Adam_777
06-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Hopefully that friend finds it for you.

slow eddie
06-15-2011, 08:20 AM
i do believe that it is illegal for a man in a hawian sling and anothere man in a wet suit to be in the same zip code together.
if not, it should be.

robc22
06-15-2011, 09:01 AM
That's alot of cabbage to lose over the side......hope you find it....good luck......

JohnR
06-15-2011, 09:18 AM

So.... anyone?

Have done it twice - both times finding rod fortunately - and both times so exhausted being up for 30 something hours that I'm lucky it was only the rod that went in the drink.

Rockport24
06-15-2011, 09:29 AM
that sucks Nebe, I always struggle with leashing because I hate how it gets in the way, but its better to be safe than sorry.
Once time a nice bass took me into the rocks on my yak, so I put the rod in the holder and paddled out with the fish still on, the fish then took the rod into the drink with it, but because I had it leashed, I was able to grab the leash and get the fish in....

Fishoholic
06-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Dropped my fluke rod and Avet SX off of my yak last night. :fury::fury:I guess that is why people use lanyards huh??

but to salvage the evening, i proceeded to use my largemouth rod with 8 pound test to crush many many 15-20 lb bass and get towed all over the place.

By the end of the night, i had forgotten about my rod... :hihi:

Im going to go snorkel for it right now.. I took some bearings and maybe i will find it :huh:

Many many...I like the sound of that. :uhuh:

I've never dropped one (knock on wood) but I use to see about 3 a year on the charter boat I worked on. It was pretty rare when when we actually recovered one. I think they float pretty vertically off the bottom..makes them a bitch to snag :wall:

basswipe
06-17-2011, 06:34 AM

So.... anyone?

About 20yrs ago I was fishing pogy chunks and I had to take a leak so I prop up my rod with a pile of rocks and go into the woods to to do my business.As I'm walking back I see my rod starting to double over and promptly come out of my little rock pile and enter the ocean never to be seen again.

I rarely bait fish anymore but on the rare occasion when I do the rod is in a good quality sand spike.And I haven't drank and fished in many years anyway which eliminates the need to go for a walk.