View Full Version : Inboard oil change 101 stupid mistake

blondterror
06-22-2011, 09:45 AM
I changed my oil in my lake ski boat about 4 weeks ago and have been seeing oil in the bilge... I finally figured out the source of the oil leak... when I took the old filter off the filter gasket stuck to the block and I installed the new filter over the old rubber seal which quickly failed under pressure... what an idiot I am... now I have a nasty job of degreasing the bilge with the Zep degreaser and plenty of rags.

make sure you do not do this... plus I learned that it is best to change your oil before winter since old oil can develop some acids that damage the engine over the winter... learn something new every day....

JFigliuolo
06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
HA! I did the exact same thing w/my wifes car... same thing but w/less clean-up.

tysdad115
06-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Nothing like having oil spray out at 60psi....my guys do it every once in a while and they dont hear the end of it until someone else does it next.

Fishoholic
06-22-2011, 11:32 AM
make sure you disconnect your bilge pump when cleaning it out. You don't want oily waste water being pumped over the side $$$ :)

blondterror
06-22-2011, 01:34 PM
make sure you disconnect your bilge pump when cleaning it out. You don't want oily waste water being pumped over the side $$$ :)

I pulled the boat with my neighbors 4x4 pickup... cleaned the bilge in my bluestone driveway which is about .5 mile from the lake and built on a big pile of sand/gravel...

Fishoholic
06-22-2011, 03:09 PM
good call. Any kind of work done to a boat always seems much easier on land.

StriperZ
06-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Changing the starter on a volvo penta I/O mounted in my Grady White, is not easy on land or in the water.

Fishoholic
06-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Changing the starter on a volvo penta I/O mounted in my Grady White, is not easy on land or in the water.

better than the gimbal bearing :tooth: