View Full Version : The Anatomy of a Mugging.

timmah
06-22-2011, 11:32 AM
This was last night and mind you, I am a very laid back guy. But i just couldn't walk away and move, though they expected me to.

1. Arrive at 400-600 foot bridge at 11pm with 5 to 6 fish-able spans. Put lure on and start fishing shadow lines, while fishing partners start drifting eels.

2. Four guys walk up bridge by you and all around you with 3 rods each and start setting up 4 feet away.

3. Get agitated because the 30 foot flip you can do with your lure into the shadow line is now lost. Pleasantly convey this fact to 4 said muggers with 3 rods each setting up with bait all around you.

4. Muggers say, "What this, YOUR bridge" and convene speaking foreign language to you and each other in a LOUD manner. You say, "No it's not my bridge, but there is normal common courtesy when fishing." They now don't understand English all the sudden and continue to set up right on top of you. With 3 Rods each. You say, "OK. that's fine, I'll just run the shadow line under your rigs. They drop their rigs strait down. Mind you, this is a 500 foot bridge with 5-6 spans. So you say again,"you guys are being really rude and continue to attempt to communicate the rudeness." Now they start to mock you in a language you don't understand. And you KNOW they are mocking you.

5. Let them get all set up and keep casting to shadow lines, switch lures, and consult Fid on which language they are speaking. You decide it's Cantonese. So you ask Fid to translate on his phone, (cuz Fid can do just about anything on his phone) "You are being very rude" Fid finds the translator pretty quickly between casts and actually has a digital voice pronunciation and written text of the translation on the phone, all the while the Muggers are exceptionally loud and boisterous. You decide the pronunciation could be mis-interpreted if you attempt to speak it, so you actually SHOW the phone with the writing (characters) on the screen to each mugger. "You are being very rude" They Laugh at YOU.

6. You cast, pissed offedly at the nice shadow lines in between the docks a little too far and get hooked up on a dock. You hear the muggers laughing at you. You gently twitch the rod and get the plug unhooked from the dock and during the retrieve you see the HEAD MUGGER LOUDMOUTH toss all his plastic bait and grocery bags into the water. 4 Bags. You say loudly, "What the F***." They raise their hands in dissolution.

7. You retrieve your plug (sinking old school rebel) and walk over in-between all four muggers and cast directly at the trash (BAG) floating away in the current. Your first cast is off the mark a little and you get a tangle with said muggers, you yet manage to quickly flip swing over the lines. You cast again at bag (trash) floating away further with mugggers "trying to figure you what the hell you are doing". Second cast is right on the mark about 30 - 40 yards out and you hook the bag and bring it in with reckless abandon. You take bag off hook and throw it down in front of HEAD mugger. He yells at you in Cantonese. You do not understand anything but "this a**h(((le could be from anywhere. He's just a plain A((hole."

8. You decide it's all over now, They are yelling at you and you can't take it and are gonna call the cops. You pretend to play with the phone, then start saying, "there is a bunch of Poachers on ******* bridge, they keep taking short fish and harassing us". As soon as you start talking, HEAD mugger starts packing up and off they go. TJ says, "you called the cops" You say, "No, Saturday night live skit, pretended to call the cops." They Left.

9. Three of the guys were OK and would have moved when asked nicely. ONE was an A hole. There are aholes everywhere these ones just happend to speak Cantonese.

10. If they spoke English, there would have been fishticuffs.

11. Can you tell I'm PISSED?

afterhours
06-22-2011, 11:49 AM
surprised tj did'nt do the rude fisherman toss off the bridge.....

niko
06-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah - some people just suck.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

UserRemoved
06-22-2011, 12:25 PM
ngóh jek heidínsyùhn jòngmúhnsaai síhn

néih yium̀hyiu tùhng ngóh tiumóuh?

FishermanTim
06-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Funny isn't it, that when you mentioned poaching that the *hole decided to leave? Makes me think that that's EXACTLY what his plan was right from the start.

I'd say that you handled yourself quite well, considering the situation.

I was going to suggest taking an old crappy lure (we all have one that is on its last legs) and cast over his line and retrieve. When he complains, throw the "no comprende' inglese" right back at him. :grins:

It will never cease to amaze me at the audacity of some anglers (I use that term loosely because there are too many poachers that get lumped in) that will get all pissy when you make a comment, reply with the "It's YOUR bridge/spot?" whine, and proceed to presume that it's THEIR bridge/spot!!! :smash:

Maybe a cool, refreshing dunk in the salt would calm him down?
(Or at least change his attitude?):biglaugh:

Rockfish9
06-22-2011, 01:28 PM
that's just about the same as having 3 kayaks troll circles around you, casting in your direction as you fight a fish from the bow of your boat..

I meet some real decent folks out on the water ( on land as well) there are always a few that feel "entitled".. unfortunatly, for some reason, the ********* always stand out... the "good guy's" fade from memory... ..the best thing to do is to catch fish inspite of them....I'm not so sure I'd press a 4 on one on a bridge at night... I hate swimming in cold water( or getting shanked in the back)... from the sounds of their attitudes.. it could happen .. be safe.

timmah
06-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Funny isn't it, that when you mentioned poaching that the *hole decided to leave? Makes me think that that's EXACTLY what his plan was right from the start.

It was the plan from the start, they were using 1/2 inch chunks with 3 rods each, that's 12 rods in a 40 foot area right around me.

They were harvesting not fishing.

Fishoholic
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
surprised tj did'nt do the rude fisherman toss off the bridge.....

I was on the other side of the street watching quietly and patiently waiting for the chance/reason. :uhuh:

JohnnyD
06-22-2011, 03:49 PM
I can't be bothered trying to reason with those people any more. I'd have picked up my gear and while walking away, called the cops to tell them I'm being harassed by a group of 4 people and feel threatened.

StriperSniper
06-22-2011, 03:51 PM
I was on the other side of the street watching quietly and patiently waiting for the chance/reason. :uhuh:
Eddie haskell and the beave were surrounded by hostiles,gosh lumpy what more chance/reason do you need?
Where's wally when you need him:huh:

JohnR
06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Ouch. Been in the 1v4 WRT poaching. Sucks.

fid
06-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Well, it was more like 1v1 - with a few backups on each side. That one guy was amazingly rude and needed to be tossed.

ivanputski
06-22-2011, 08:50 PM
next time quietly walk passed like you are leaving, quickly grab his ankles and pitch him over the bridge...

And I'm not joking...

Fishoholic
06-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Eddie haskell and the beave were surrounded by hostiles,gosh lumpy what more chance/reason do you need?
Where's wally when you need him:huh:

well Mr Sniper being upittiy and posting up on top of my fishing partner isn't quite grounds for throwing someone in the water. Close... but not quiet enough. The "reason" I was waiting for was physical contact. If you threw someone in the water every time you got mugged at my bridges you'd have a full time job. If I'm gonna go down for throwing some dipchit in the drink (that possibly doesn't even know how to swim) you better believe it's gonna be in "self defense" :uhuh:

piemma
06-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Now where is that thread about carrying when fishing? :fury:

Plum Crazy
06-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Somebody needs to write a book on fishing etiquette and "HOW IT IS OUT THERE" not that these yahoos would read it but maybe they would hear of it.
I am sorry this happened to you, not only does it suck to even have to come in contact with you , it ruins your night and if your time to fish is as rare as mine then it really sucks.:crying:

maddmatt
06-23-2011, 07:19 AM
this happened to me opening day of trout season 1 year

cast across all their lines

gather them up all together

cut them all off with a knife

shrug at them with knife in hand

continue to fish

i'm 1 for 1 with this method

i'm also large

i also had backup

Swimmer
06-23-2011, 07:59 AM
So Tim, what did you catch?

Fishoholic
06-23-2011, 08:07 AM
So Tim, what did you catch?

6ft chinaman :smash:

StriperSniper
06-23-2011, 08:43 AM
well Mr Sniper being upittiy and posting up on top of my fishing partner isn't quite grounds for throwing someone in the water. Close... but not quiet enough. The "reason" I was waiting for was physical contact. If you threw someone in the water every time you got mugged at my bridges you'd have a full time job. If I'm gonna go down for throwing some dipchit in the drink (that possibly doesn't even know how to swim) you better believe it's gonna be in "self defense" :uhuh:
I spend alot of time on YOUR bridges and your right i would.See you on the incoming:fishin:

fid
06-23-2011, 10:52 AM
think he was more like 5'8.. not quite as imposing.

Fishoholic
06-23-2011, 11:21 AM
I spend alot of time on YOUR bridges and your right i would.See you on the incoming:fishin:

cool, come say hi next time

think he was more like 5'8.. not quite as imposing.

:rotf2:

fid
06-23-2011, 04:15 PM
:D

spence
06-23-2011, 06:14 PM
I've had people get right over my shoulder at the old train bridge in Tiverton...To some degree it's just a cultural thing, many Asian people just don't think of personal space the same way Americans would. I've even been in business situations where I just about had to elbow a Korean guy back to get him off me...

Sometimes they might try and muscle you out...I just put a jig on and give my cast a little more drop with a clumsy "excuse me" as you cast.

Granted, they were just trying to move you out.

-spence

StriperSniper
06-24-2011, 10:37 AM
cool, come say hi next time

I will,actually i thought i already did.
Wrong lumpy sorry:biglaugh:

One thing to keep in mind...
Fishing last season when this guy walks up and starts casting parrallel to the bridge right across my line.
I ask him if he enjoys swimming in cold water,he walks away and next thing you know he's back with a cop.
Guy reported being a victim of a racially motivated hate crime,cop didn't bite but warned me to be careful it wasn't the first time certain groups have played that card.:cens:

FishermanTim
06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I will,actually i thought i already did.
Wrong lumpy sorry:biglaugh:

One thing to keep in mind...
Fishing last season when this guy walks up and starts casting parrallel to the bridge right across my line.
I ask him if he enjoys swimming in cold water,he walks away and next thing you know he's back with a cop.
Guy reported being a victim of a racially motivated hate crime,cop didn't bite but warned me to be careful it wasn't the first time certain groups have played that card.:cens:

When the guy brought the cop back, I would give the cop the "I'm so glad you're here" routine and claim that the other guy had threatened you "racially" and physically.

Turn-a-bout is fair game when dealing with d-bags!