View Full Version : Lure Recomendations!!

Padawan
06-23-2011, 04:34 PM
If you had 200 bucks to spend on lures which one would you get for striped bass. I know there are Danny's, bombers, sluggos, eels ronz's , minnows. which one would you get?

There is to many to choose from as i am a beginner in this field.. I just bought my first shimano waxwing last week. List which ones would u get in particular.

tattoobob
06-23-2011, 04:39 PM
I would get a couple of Needles, and it all depends where and what type of fishing you plan on doing :fishin:

Padawan
06-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Jigs,poppers, ETC?...

redlite
06-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Sebile floating stick shad.

Padawan
06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
which ounce?

chefchris401
06-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Bone redfin, yellow ss darter, blurple ss darter, green ss needle, yellow ss needle, pt Jude butterfish, pt Jude po jee, afterhours blip pencil in yellow or white, white bucktails
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnnySaxatilis
06-23-2011, 05:03 PM

2 1/4oz ghost color. i know of a shop down here that still has a bunch :)

Padawan
06-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Cant find what you are saying online, can i get a link?

Thanks

numbskull
06-23-2011, 06:13 PM
$200 isn't going to last long if you pay a premium for stuff like waxwings or Sebiles.

Where you planning to fish? What size rod? Night or day? What are you fishing for?

redlite
06-23-2011, 06:50 PM

Daytime, nitetime, deep water, shallow water, rocks, sand, curent, no current, shore, boat, 8ft rod, 9ft rod, 10ft rod.......it don't matta.
they look like shad, pogie, scup, taug, macks......it don't matta.........
and I only own one.............
STIIIIIIIIICCCCCKKKKKK SHHHHHHAAAAADDDDDDDDD.

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Daytime, nitetime, deep water, shallow water, rocks, sand, curent, no current, shore, boat, 8ft rod, 9ft rod, 10ft rod.......it don't matta.
they look like shad, pogie, scup, taug, macks......it don't matta.........
and I only own one.............
STIIIIIIIIICCCCCKKKKKK SHHHHHHAAAAADDDDDDDDD.
Your such a plugger! I never thought I'd see a post with you promoting a plug. Lol. I just hope you bought 2 just in case you lose that one. They are great!!!! If you can reach the fish with it they WILL eat it.

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-23-2011, 07:59 PM
which ounce?

The same size you buy your kid to smoke. Only kidding.

zimmy
06-23-2011, 08:01 PM
north bar bottle darter- plastic; Yozuri darter- sardine. Both are must haves.

niko
06-23-2011, 08:08 PM
send me the two hundred and i will drop you off some live pogies :rotf2:

Padawan
06-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Niko your to funny... Im trying to adapt to not using live bait..

blondterror
06-23-2011, 08:52 PM
If you intend to fish the canal... great values at M&D's in wareham... The canal special made and sold my Mike is hard to beat at whatever he sells it for ~ $18
Get it in Green mackeral color

Where do you plan to fish most of the time???

Padawan
06-23-2011, 09:00 PM
off a boat... and somtimes in the river

JohnnyD
06-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Forget dumping $200 on Cadillac lures if you're new. The prettiest custom plugs won't catch crap if you can't get a sniff on stuff more reasonably priced and break-offs due to newbie mistakes (which we all still make) will be more frequent and far more expense.

For the boat:
Buy a few Cotton Cordell Pencil Poppers, some Rapala X-Raps in olive and mackerel patterns of a couple difference sizes, a package of 3/4oz Bill Hurley Sandeels, 1oz Crippled Herring and a couple 1.5oz white spro jigs.

For the canal:
All of the above, plus a canal special, 3oz lead heads with 9" Sluggos and a couple 3oz Crippled Herring tins.

$100 or so and you're good to go for just about any situation. Most bang for your buck.

piemma
06-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Forget dumping $200 on Cadillac lures if you're new. The prettiest custom plugs won't catch crap if you can't get a sniff on stuff more reasonably priced and break-offs due to newbie mistakes (which we all still make) will be more frequent and far more expense.

For the boat:
Buy a few Cotton Cordell Pencil Poppers, some Rapala X-Raps in olive and mackerel patterns of a couple difference sizes, a package of 3/4oz Bill Hurley Sandeels, 1oz Crippled Herring and a couple 1.5oz white spro jigs.

For the canal:
All of the above, plus a canal special, 3oz lead heads with 9" Sluggos and a couple 3oz Crippled Herring tins.

$100 or so and you're good to go for just about any situation. Most bang for your buck.

Best post of the entire thread. Do what Johnny said!

The Dad Fisherman
06-24-2011, 06:22 AM
pick up a black and an Olive Mambo Minnow, A Bone Redfin, A White 5" Smack-it Popper, a couple of pencil poppers in White and/or Yellow, a Black Mag Darter, a White/Yellow Spook (Bigfish/Afterhours make good ones), a Pack of Storm Shads in pearl, a pack of 9" Black Sluggos, a couple of Point Jude tins, and some time on the water.

Seriously, start with these and play with them to see what works for you. You should be all set for awhile with these and none of them will break the bank on you. Spend more time learning Tides, Wind, Weather Conditions, and the way they affect the areas you fish

and as an FYI, it ain't the lure that catches the fish....its the Fisherman.

MAKAI
06-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Best post of the entire thread. Do what Johnny said!

The puppy is learning, and he is becoming a jaded cynic along with it.

O.D. Mike
06-24-2011, 09:27 AM

For the boat:

For the canal:

How many X-raps did you loose that night we went out????:rotf2:

bassballer
06-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Go to a local shop and ask for advice on stuff you'll need. Tell them the type of fishing youll be doing and they should set you up. While your shopping pick their brain for advice, techniques ect. Not only will get the stuff you need you might learn some stuff in the process.