View Full Version : How's your season so far?

piemma
06-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Just curious.
I am having my best season in 7 years according to my log book. Well over 100 "keepers" 34" not 28". 5, 30#+, 26 in the 20#+ and the rest teens. Canal and Narragansett Bay are the only 2 places I have concentrated.
But I have also been putting my time in. I have only missed 6 days since early May.

JohnR
06-24-2011, 07:10 AM
I haven't caught a fish. Between work, scouts, and other events killing May for me with screwing up my knee taking out June. I have had 1 singular evening of fishing. One. I hope to rectify that soon but I'm still not ready for serious combat fishing :wall:

Rockfish9
06-24-2011, 07:18 AM
I'm encoraged by the number of medium fish around between 10-15lbs...still seems to be a lack of small fish, there should be alot more of them ...it's still early up our way, water temp on the ocean and in the river at high tide is still topping out @ 57, and the persistant easterlis have made fishing a little more of a challange, the bonus, less people on the water...making early morning/first light fishing a pleasure... there are plenty of low to mid 20lb class fish around, enough 30's to make it interesting and this week i took two over 40 (lbs... not inches)... unfortunatly Tuesday night ole razor lips made it's seasonal day view...there is a long way to go, so far on a scale of 1-10... I give it an 8...

BigFish
06-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Out less than normal due to being back to work and some family obligations but when I have been out it has been dismal....yak or shore! Just ain't hitting them right? I have only 3 fish all in one morning at the Big River...15#, 20# and 25 #!!! Not happy but soon gonna change that!:uhuh:

albin35
06-24-2011, 09:15 AM
I need to put more time in. Has anyone been using Eels yet or is early for them? I may make an effort tonight to fish with them at local river mouth.

MAKAI
06-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Picking them OK surf and boat, when I get the chance.
Which is a lot less than I would prefer, obligations suck !

fishbones
06-24-2011, 09:44 AM
I need to put more time in. Has anyone been using Eels yet or is early for them? I may make an effort tonight to fish with them at local river mouth.

I just started using them last week and they're working just fine. You might have to look around for the bigger ones, though. I've bought them twice and the first time was mostly shoestrings and the second time there were some medium sized ones mixed in.

My season's been really good so far for both size and quantity. I broke my shore pb twice in one night last month and have had fewer skunkings per trip than any other season. I've also been seeing a lot of medium size fish which hopefully is good for the future.

Vogt
06-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Ive gotten much more 20+ lb fish than normal but far fewer teen class fish. Still having a decent season, just less action overall.

Rob Rockcrawler
06-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I had tough time out on the cape but things have since turned around. Its been a pretty steady pick of fish everywhere. Lots of smaller fish the past couple of weeks <20",last year i dont think i caught more than 2 that size. Usually by this time in the year i have had a few big fish. I didnt check it compared to last year but it is about on the same level. Last year was my best so im not complaining. This weekend looks like another one to pad the stats a bit for numbers, hopefully size will improve as well.

Billybob
06-24-2011, 11:02 AM
It's been weird here in Ct., spring river run was decent, but then the rain and temps seemed to scatter them quick.
First few weeks out front in the boat was a slow pic.
Then last week was great on the reef with bait, I got a 48# and a 36# and a couple in the 20's.
Hopefully it will stay hot for a while.
We'll find out tomorrow.

lurch
06-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Not one cast this year :(

just too damn busy.

JamesJet
06-24-2011, 12:12 PM
did pretty well on the early runs of big fish at the ditch, and really havent fished much since then. I did have a very successful groundfish trip that put lots of cod and pollock in my freezer. Got out in my new boat 2 times witch is almost hlaf what I expected this first year of 5 times total (1 and a 3 year old have a lot to do with that). Usually I fish small rubber early for schoolies but never did that so cant comment on lack or presence of small fish compared to other years.

FISHING_FOOL
06-24-2011, 12:55 PM
My worst year in 5 years..... Havent caught a keeper yet!

luds
06-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Pretty average season for me except I have caught less really small fish than I typically do. Lot's of barely 26-30" fish but nothing in smaller than that. Really nothing too much bigger either. I usually do some southeastern ma and ri fishing in the spring and I have not fished further south than the canal this year.

JLH
06-24-2011, 01:53 PM
A little below average.

River fishing was tough this spring with high muddy water for most of the run. In the surf it has been good some nights with double digit numbers of fish but very slow on others which is pretty much the norm for me... Nearly all of the fish I am getting are in the 10 - 15lb range, still haven't broken 20lbs yet for this year but I have a feeling that may change this weekend.

timmah
06-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Just curious.
I am having my best season in 7 years according to my log book. Well over 100 "keepers" 34" not 28". 5, 30#+, 26 in the 20#+ and the rest teens. Canal and Narragansett Bay are the only 2 places I have concentrated.
But I have also been putting my time in. I have only missed 6 days since early May.

Very close to yours, not nearly 100 keepers, but a lot of 30 and 20+ one 40. Same canal, and Narragansett bay, with the usual spots not producing (except canal) and found some new spots that i've been meaning to fish for years that have been phenomenal. The nicest part is the vast majority of fish being on my own plugs and soft baits.

tysdad115
06-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Lots of fish when run was on at the ditch, but apparently thats the only time I can catch them. I'm such a googan....stuck on 30# (5) , need to start exploring beach areas around me for some night time action. Picked up some skins for some plugs I have, maybe trying that new angle will be the difference.

tattoobob
06-24-2011, 04:54 PM
I haven't been keeping a log for years now, I have only fished like four times and I have about 25 to 30 stripers in the 12 to 27 pound class
one Blue fish about 5 pounds, I lost a monster in the canal and she stole my plug

stupid job keeps getting in the way of all the good fishing days

Adam_777
06-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Good so far.I am fishing much less than last year and working much more.Had a good start.

Clammer
06-24-2011, 05:01 PM
today was the 1st time Denis & I have fished together for larger fish ........ it was a good day //alot of fun //:fishin:

Clogston29
06-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Work, baby, weather and tide have only lined up a few times so far. Nothing big but good getting out. Cutty has been highlight so far. Looking forward to August and sept up my way and bi at end of September.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

striperman36
06-24-2011, 06:02 PM
There are no striped bass in Kansas

Finaddict
06-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Due to work and daughter ... work has been the most demanding, and have been fortunate to have my daughter more weekends than normal ... has kept me from fishing ... did get out once, and caught a couple of fish, nothing overly big ... planning on fishing this weekend, finally...

niko
06-24-2011, 06:27 PM
early season was brutal for me but i seem to have found my mojo. gonna get a tuna next week :uhuh:

Fly Rod
06-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Fishing is excellent!! :)

Stripers are stock piled here on Cape Ann. :)

At least for some of us.

JohnnySaxatilis
06-24-2011, 08:29 PM
45 trips 59 keepers 28 schoolies 6 blues. mostly in the 30 to 36 in range, couple 30# in the ditch during that mack run one morning. lots of lost fish as well, all on plugs. Trout season was fun, with some fat bows and tigers. fishing on the cape here is switching to wire leader season and smaller bass pick on sand eels. its been fun not having a legitimate job that sucks the life from me. overall caddying, golfing, cleaning boats for cash, goin to school, and fishing. swish:uhuh:

QuonsetCaster
06-24-2011, 11:16 PM
today was the 1st time Denis & I have fished together for larger fish ........ it was a good day //alot of fun //:fishin:

Nice job Clammer and Denis just keeps on getting better looking everytime I see him..Could it be the fish ?:uhuh:

Ryan560
06-25-2011, 12:18 AM
I started earlier than I normally do this year,1st week of march I was catching a few keepers here and there in the rivers.Has definitely been one of my best seasons so far, also the first year I've been keeping a log. The CT river was great for 2 weeks with my best fish being 30lbs., I started a new job the day after I caught that fish and it ruined my mojo. There was certainly bigger fish to be caught.Last few weeks I've been driving down to soco, I managed about a half dozen trips there so far, and was only skunked on one outing. So far I'm on 25 keepers and 63 shorts, most of the shorts where in march and outta those maybe 10 where under 20". Bummed I couldn't make the canal this spring, gonna try to hit it right in the fall.

numbskull
06-25-2011, 05:32 AM
I'm seeing plenty of 10-15lb fish, and almost nothing else....but then again I've not gone looking in the canal.

blondterror
06-25-2011, 06:28 AM
So far its been my best year to date... I seem to be going to the right places when the fish are around. I had one very good canal day, great day at race Point, two good days/nights at Barnstable harbor, good morning off Point Gammon, and a good 4 day stint at Cutty. I have gained a lot of confidence in fishing my darters and my 7 inch eelies. Have yet to fish the north shore in MA but that will change this week. Biggest fish so far 22 lbs / 39 inches.

RIROCKHOUND
06-25-2011, 06:59 AM
I'm seeing plenty of 10-15lb fish, and almost nothing else....but then again I've not gone looking in the canal.

that would sum it up. just make the fish 8-11lbs for me.... whats the canal?

Back Beach
06-25-2011, 07:41 AM
:sleeps:

Maybe next year...been very busy w/everything besides fishing so far.

Tagger
06-25-2011, 08:41 AM
I don't keep logs but my best year ever ,. Just hitting it right .. even stopped fishing a few times it was so good . Starting to hit them good in the Yak now .

numbskull
06-25-2011, 11:07 AM
that would sum it up. just make the fish 8-11lbs for me.... whats the canal?

Probably the same fish I'm catching but it has been so long since I saw a 20 lb'r I've started lying to myself.

american spirit
06-25-2011, 11:11 AM
fish seem slightly bigger at my locations compared to previous years. last two weeks i've been out have produced 15-18# fish. i only get out once a week if i'm lucky.

this year i'm really catching some smallmouth bass fever throwing tubes and senko's at spot pond. a trip to PA fishing the susquehana river got it going for me.

JohnR
06-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Removed the skunk last night with my SECOND :wall: outing of the entire season with some assistance, thank you sir.

striperman36
06-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Gonna finally get the boat out tomorrah, been a nasty spring, but not as bad as the last 2 years

Pete F.
06-25-2011, 08:07 PM
I've been two times so that consists of 4 nites and done well for NH, no 20 # fish yet but teens.

BostonIrish
06-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Struck out last night...still smell like dead macks..wife said "you suck at fishing"

rphud
06-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Out for the traditional start of the season weekend at Cutty (coaching high school lacrosse and work eliminates spring fishing) and put my son on a mess of fish. Seemed like every time I looked over his light was on unbuttoning a fish up to 36" or so. I meanwhile caught two, one dink and one personal best. Hope the rest of the year is half as good. Actually I just hope I get to fish a bunch the rest of the year.

cheferson
06-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Removed the skunk last night with my SECOND :wall: outing of the entire season with some assistance, thank you sir.

Nice! I don't feel so bad with my dinks , 2 teens and a blue for the season! This is the least amount I have fished since I started though

piemma
06-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Narragansett Bay has been unreal for 3 days. 1, 30 3, 24 - 25 and I have lost count of the high teen fish. All on live bunker. I switch over to a single Gami 9/0 rather than a treble as I am releasing almost everything.

timmah
06-27-2011, 09:32 AM

I love the de-skunking spot, I want your son to pull a 30# from there this season. :jump1:

RIROCKHOUND
06-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Narragansett Bay has been unreal for 3 days. 1, 30 3, 24 - 25 and I have lost count of the high teen fish. All on live bunker. I switch over to a single Gami 9/0 rather than a treble as I am releasing almost everything.

1. What did you catch them on? (i.e. what is a bunker?)
2. What spot were you in. Please PM me lat/longs #'s
3. Whats the water depth?
4. What was the wind direction?
5. What was the tide doing?
6. What color shirt were you wearing?
7. What size motor does your boat have?
8. What are pogies? are they different than bunker? *See #1)
9. What leader material were you using?
10. What kind of rod and reel?
11. Can you teach me how to use my GPS? (See #2)
12. I'm scared of the dark.
13. Where are you getting these bunker things? Can I buy them? Do I trap them?
14. Can I buy some pogie traps at Benny's?
15. what is 'tide' anyways? I only see water moving at those breachway-things.
:smash::smash::smash::smash::smash::smash:

Paulie...
you are more patient than I am.
Each of those messages would have gotten a two word response that sounds a lot like a CeLo Greene song.....
Lesson learned, huh :D:D:D:D:D:D

piemma
06-27-2011, 11:54 AM
You're killing me!!!!:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

Fishoholic
06-27-2011, 11:58 AM
boat fish certainly count when you're talking numbers like that. Me..I think I'm gonna take up golf.

RIROCKHOUND
06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
You're killing me!!!!:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

I can't believe either tha balls or lack of "Fishing ettiqute" to just PM someone you don't know and ask for details...
next think you know people will be trolling for details on schoolie reports.... :smash:

RIJIMMY
06-27-2011, 12:09 PM
1. What did you catch them on? (i.e. what is a bunker?)
2. What spot were you in. Please PM me lat/longs #'s
3. Whats the water depth?
4. What was the wind direction?
5. What was the tide doing?
6. What color shirt were you wearing?
7. What size motor does your boat have?
8. What are pogies? are they different than bunker? *See #1)
9. What leader material were you using?
10. What kind of rod and reel?
11. Can you teach me how to use my GPS? (See #2)
12. I'm scared of the dark.
13. Where are you getting these bunker things? Can I buy them? Do I trap them?
14. Can I buy some pogie traps at Benny's?
15. what is 'tide' anyways? I only see water moving at those breachway-things.
:smash::smash::smash::smash::smash::smash:

Paulie...
you are more patient than I am.
Each of those messages would have gotten a two word response that sounds a lot like a CeLo Greene song.....
Lesson learned, huh :D:D:D:D:D:D

sounds like a rant from a jealous surfcaster. Someone needs to catch a fish. :uhuh:

RIROCKHOUND
06-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Nah.
Been there, done that. Spent countless nights in my 13ft whaler catching bass. I prefer terra firma for bass....

I'm talking about the random PM's he was getting asking to share intel...

RIJIMMY
06-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Nah.
Been there, done that. Spent countless nights in my 13ft whaler catching bass. I prefer terra firma for bass....

I'm talking about the random PM's he was getting asking to share intel...

just busting

JohnnySaxatilis
06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
boat fish certainly count when you're talking numbers like that. Me..I think I'm gonna take up golf.

i do lessons:devil2:.(shameless personal plug) makai im still waitin on you:soon:

Liv2Fish
06-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Out more than normal and done completely sh%Ty. Now I'm totally frustrated.

bart
06-27-2011, 07:30 PM
have 1 20lb fish. that's it. Probably fished 5-6 times, but two of those times I had a migraine. This is the least I've fished in probably 8 years, but I'm hoping to turn it around in a couple weeks. My folks got a place in Jamestown the week leading up to the full moon so I'll be crashing there. hoping for a big fish...

Bob Thomas
06-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Buddy and I were just saying the best spring in years. Hit them hard today and celebrating in style. Love it and can't wait until 0300 tomorrow!

BrianS
06-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Ive only been out twice and im 0/2 on those trips.

Been a difficult year to find the time. Right now, I dont even have the urge to fish, which is actually somewhat beneficial.

agsurfr
06-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Relatively new to all of this with last year being my first serious season. I am not surprised that my log shows more fish and bigger fish to date. Numbers can be easily skewed by 1 or 2 off the chart nights.

I will say that the fishing in May/June has been harder this year. Last year's patterns have not held up. Not sure what to make of that

Fortunately, I am able to get out with friends and enjoy it.

God I love this sport.

BostonIrish
06-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Been skunked all month..no fish,chunking and plugging..my buddies getting his boat ready...he's been promising a trip for a while..good excuse to bang in sick to work

stinkyink
06-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Not so good. I've only been out to BI once. Prevoius years all of my biggest fish came out the first week of July so hopefully ill have a better response then.

fishwhisperer1
06-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Great annual trip in early June to the ditch for me. Fished with family and friends. My three day total was 12 keepers the smallest bass was 32" and caught my biggest bass to date, a 48" 35 pounder : ) and one blue fish. Hope to make it back in the fall. Tight lines!

GregW
06-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Over 100 fish. Starting to get into a few bigger fish. Looks promising

ProfessorM
06-30-2011, 06:11 PM
:)

robc22
06-30-2011, 06:34 PM
It's tough right now.....finding time to bass fish......I have caught a few nice fish off ccb beaches........lotsa keepers lobstering......:)

hardbait
06-30-2011, 10:44 PM
BEST YEAR SO FAR. 19 FISH 30-38# 43 FISH IN THE 20'S AND CANT TELL YOU HOW MANY TEENS.WEARING OUT THE BOGA.BEACHES ANS EELS AND CANAL

cheferson
07-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Season is looking up now that I got a yak!!! Just need to get used to the trolling , etc and I will be smoking em soon!!!

big jay
07-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Very good.

cow tamer
07-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Finally found out where they've been hiding.
Right beneath the bait.

Find bait = find fish.

piemma
07-02-2011, 04:36 PM
My nephew Jake first time striper fishing. Going to be jaded now.

piemma
07-02-2011, 04:41 PM
My boat partner Chris with a 29#.

Clammer
07-02-2011, 05:55 PM
&&&&& HE ONLY USED [1] BAIT ><><>:uhuh:

Sea Dangles
07-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Must be the RI helmets.

piemma
07-03-2011, 02:28 AM
&&&&& HE ONLY USED [1] BAIT ><><>:uhuh:

...and that was a donation from Mr C.

Clammer
07-03-2011, 08:53 AM
I,ll be live lining on my new setup :fishin:

&&&&&&& 60% OFF the asking price ><><<>:jump1::jump1::jump1::smash:

Finaddict
07-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Well my season took a turn for the worse today ... I was a bit later out than I wanted ... 4:00 a.m. heading down the ramp on the dock and slipped ... right foot up in the air, fell backward, but my left foot stayed put and my leg folded underneath me ...

... went to the ER in Westerly, RI ... end result, multiple fractures in my left tibula and fibula ... but as I am not local to this area (I was at my father's) the orthopedist did not want to treat me as i would not be able to do any follow ups.

My orthopedist up in Mass is out until Tuesday, so have a temporary cast ... hurts like HE - double hockey sticks ... I count the seconds until the perkoset ... not sure when I will be able to drive my car again, as I have stick, and fear it will be tough to push in the clutch.

While waiting in the ER, the nurse stepped on my foot, of my broken leg ... that was not cool, and she laughed ...

Hoping to get this cleared up in 6 weeks or so ... but the seconds go by like hours.

chaz
07-03-2011, 08:06 PM
season is good,today was better cranked in about a dozen cod keepers,a few dogs.
off the coast of marshfield in about 100 feet,still searching for that sneaky striper

blondterror
07-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Well my season took a turn for the worse today ... I was a bit later out than I wanted ... 4:00 a.m. heading down the ramp on the dock and slipped ... right foot up in the air, fell backward, but my left foot stayed put and my leg folded underneath me ...

... went to the ER in Westerly, RI ... end result, multiple fractures in my left tibula and fibula ... but as I am not local to this area (I was at my father's) the orthopedist did not want to treat me as i would not be able to do any follow ups.

My orthopedist up in Mass is out until Tuesday, so have a temporary cast ... hurts like HE - double hockey sticks ... I count the seconds until the perkoset ... not sure when I will be able to drive my car again, as I have stick, and fear it will be tough to push in the clutch.

While waiting in the ER, the nurse stepped on my foot, of my broken leg ... that was not cool, and she laughed ...

Hoping to get this cleared up in 6 weeks or so ... but the seconds go by like hours.

Serious bummer..
I broke both my tib/fib skiing when i was 14 yrs (lange -bang boot-top fracture) old in Colorado and had a cast on for 4-5 months... hopefully you are a quick healer and they can fit you with a walking cast ASAP.

Sorry but you should be able to boat fish with a fishing bud helping you do the launching...

C

Nebe
07-03-2011, 08:54 PM
having a blast on my hobie. tonging them good for the last 3 weeks. Had a hook straightened on my slugo 2 nights ago. a single hook.. not a treble...:fury: