View Full Version : rod/reel help please

Embittered
07-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Hey im a beginner at this so any advice is appreciated.
I have a 9' rod 12-30lb line, 1oz-4oz would be the specs on the pole.
Now my question is, what would be a better reel choice for me? I have a sweet deal on a penn 950ss and one on a penn 704z. i usually fish surf or off my kayak and im usually chunking bunker but i want to start using plugs. im also open to any other recomnedations on reels that are around 100$ or less. :smash:

Pete F.
07-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Buy the 704
a spool of 20# ande
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/stripertalk/71854-lure-recomendations.html
a few plugs from this list, better if we know where you fish.
Fish in one good spot a lot, till you what it takes to catch fish there. then extrapolate (build) on that.
Have fun

Embittered
07-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Would the 950ss be overkill for the rod?
Seeing as alot of people catch good size fish, lets say around 30-40lb mark. Would the 704z manage to haul in fish that size or would it be too much strain on the reel? Iv been reading around and it seems like a bunch of people use them but im not too sure if they do for stripers. The more i read on these reels the more i become overwhelmed with making a choice.

jimmy z
07-02-2011, 03:01 AM
That 950 is a big heavy reel. The 704z is a better choice. The z reel was always a work horse. Keep in mind, if you buy a used reel, it might not be in tip top order. There are many still around, and available part though.

bart
07-02-2011, 05:44 AM
you can't go wrong with a 704z. a true work horse. I have three and love them...

iamskippy
07-02-2011, 07:47 AM
for under 100 bucks i have found that a penn sargus 5000 is a beast, i had it on a 9' rod up till this year when i upgraded, i beat the heck out of them and they had not failed me.

piemma
07-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Buy the 704Z. Been around over 40 years and still one of the best, workhorses out there. Only 2 springs to break and if you convert it to bailess then the dog spring is the only thing that can go wrong. Rinse it in fresh water and clean the drag washers every few trips and it will last you a lifetime. I have my first "greenie 704" and I still fish it occasionally. It's 39 years old.

Embittered
07-06-2011, 12:07 AM
I thank everyone for the advice they have me and i was finally able to pick up the 704, the thing is a beast. But im rather confused because its supposed to be a right handed reel but the handle is on the left side. im too used to the handle being on the right. Other than that i cant wait to hit the beach tomorrow!

JohnnySaxatilis
07-06-2011, 09:08 AM
I thank everyone for the advice they have me and i was finally able to pick up the 704, the thing is a beast. But im rather confused because its supposed to be a right handed reel but the handle is on the left side. im too used to the handle being on the right. Other than that i cant wait to hit the beach tomorrow!

Just flip it upside down.........:rotf2:

I kid. Thats how a right handed reel is supposed to be my friend. I still use my dad's 704z from 1985ish every now and again. you'll get used to it and love it :uhuh:

chaz
07-06-2011, 04:22 PM
the handle should unscrew ,turn it counter clock and change sides,(check for a screw under the cap)may have one,its there so if you reel backwards you dont loose the handle

toaster816
07-06-2011, 04:30 PM
the handle should unscrew ,turn it counter clock and change sides,(check for a screw under the cap)may have one,its there so if you reel backwards you dont loose the handle

Can't change handle sides on 704's. If you want to reel left handed you have to get a 705.

Pete F.
07-06-2011, 05:24 PM
A right handed reel is for right handed people.
Are you right or lefthanded?

Embittered
07-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Im right handed but the handle is on the left. I thought right handed reels would of had the handle on the right. Haha i might of been using a left handed reel since the beggining. After trying it out today it wont be too hard to get used to the handle being on the left side. Im very satisfied with the reel, works better than what i expected. This is going to be the start of a very long road towards hooking myself a true fat cow!!!

JohnnySaxatilis
07-07-2011, 07:05 AM
A right handed reel is for right handed people.
Are you right or lefthanded?

pete f is correct thats how its layed out techically in the reel business when they are describing a model. but right handed people like myself typically have the crank on the left. like stated before 704zs dont come with the handle on the right, maybe if thats more comfortable for you, it would be wise to look into another model! my b just shoulda kept my mouth shut :uhuh:

piemma
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Penn use to make a 705 for people who wanted the handle on the right. I think I saw one about 30 years ago.
For the record, handle on the left is the standard.

Saltheart
07-07-2011, 11:17 AM
On spinners a right handed reel cranks with the left hand. On conventionals , the right handed reel cranks with the right hand.

I believe you can change the left right sense on the 950SS no problem but not on the Z.