View Full Version : VS Question

Liv2Fish
07-03-2011, 05:34 AM
I bought my first Van Stall (250) this year and have been lucky enough to find time to put quite a few hours on it. When it was new, i noticed that it was fairly stiff but I have since noticed that the spool and the spool cup that rotates when you crank the handle have loosened up and can be rocked back and forth a little. I noticed it while jigging last night, I could actually feel the bump of the spool rocking to where it stopped against the baring every time I worked the jig.

Is this normal for a VS once they break in? It doesn't seem like it's anything I can tighten up with out opening the case?

spence
07-03-2011, 07:19 AM
While my VS is older and hence different, I'd wager that sounds very wrong.

-spence

JohnnySaxatilis
07-03-2011, 09:26 AM
While my VS is older and hence different, I'd wager that sounds very wrong.

-spence

ditto, after a few years mines still rock solid, mines china made. HAIII!!

vanstaal
07-03-2011, 09:33 AM
I had mine for years I have a 300 it sounds wrong. :fury:

chefchris401
07-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Call rivers end in CT.

Doesn't sound right to me.

I've had my share of issues with my vs reels
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

GattaFish
07-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Sounds like my 250. The spool wobbles too. There is a plastic sleeve and sometimes it gets worn when you fish hard with them. Some of the wobble is correctable with a new sleeve. Mine is so bad its not fully correctable....

piemma
07-03-2011, 01:16 PM
I bought my first Van Stall (250) this year and have been lucky enough to find time to put quite a few hours on it. When it was new, i noticed that it was fairly stiff but I have since noticed that the spool and the spool cup that rotates when you crank the handle have loosened up and can be rocked back and forth a little. I noticed it while jigging last night, I could actually feel the bump of the spool rocking to where it stopped against the baring every time I worked the jig.

Is this normal for a VS once they break in? It doesn't seem like it's anything I can tighten up with out opening the case?

You know, I hear &*&% like this all the time. For $700 you should expect excellence. I had a 250 and it literally blew up the 2nd year I had it. VS repaired it for free but I sold it. I have several 704z that are 20, 30, 40 years old and the only thing that ever goes haywire is the dog spring. 1/10th the cost of a VS and a workhorse. Of course, I don't wet suit but I fish 100 days/nights a year, many on the boat but a lot in the surf and I love my Zs.

Mike P
07-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Sounds like your anti-reverse bearing is starting to go.

They fail more often than Zebco would care to admit. And using them for jigging seems to make them fail faster. ;)

luds
07-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Sounds like your anti-reverse bearing is starting to go.

They fail more often than Zebco would care to admit. And using them for jigging seems to make them fail faster. ;)

That's actually what I was thinking having first hand experience with that situation with a 150. I sent it back and they fixed it for free but I would say I still share PIEMMA's opinion.

Liv2Fish
07-03-2011, 06:31 PM
That's actually what I was thinking having first hand experience with that situation with a 150. I sent it back and they fixed it for free but I would say I still share PIEMMA's opinion.

I'm starting to feel the same way.

Usually the real problem is how the problem gets handled. I'll hold judgment until I get there I guess as I'm generally happy with the reel. I do beat the snot out of it.

GattaFish
07-04-2011, 09:03 AM
I agree on the anti-reverse bearing if the handle turns the wrong way.....shaft/spool wobble is definitely the plastic sleeve....

Every VS I have has water in it at the end of a season.... Looking into switching to ZB to replace them,,,,

Adam_777
07-04-2011, 02:49 PM
I had the bracket that the line roller is on loosen up.Only problem I ever had.

stripermaineiac
07-04-2011, 08:24 PM
I've got a couple of the originals and they're still going strong. A bit of spray to clean and that's it. Gave up on sendin them in after th ist couple yrs as they didn't need it.