View Full Version : Braid to leader

iamskippy
07-06-2011, 10:10 PM
i know several post are here, however i was researching some different knots and i came across the red phillips knot, has anyone here used it? i have not found any references to it here on the site, and looks easy to tie and there are some video's of people testing its strength. Thought?

YouTube - ‪Red Philips Knot - Demo‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbXaGYaaIo)

JohnnyD
07-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Looks almost like a Uni-to-Overhand knot. I'm an albright guy but if you like that knot, I'd just take the extra step on go with Uni-to-Uni.

piemma
07-07-2011, 12:05 AM
I don't know.

I am also an Albright guy and I cannot see the advantage to the Red Philips knot. It appearded to me that the knot was also bigger than an Albright and that would be a disadvantage on a conventional reel as I tie a leader about 10-12 feet long and the leader is always coming thru the guides.

jimmy z
07-07-2011, 03:52 AM
I haven't used it, but it looks simple and easy to tie. Try it, if it works, than use it. I like the fact that the tag end of the yellow line gets encompassed into the uni knot with the red line.

Sweetwater
07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Looks like a nice knot and easy to tie. I'm an albright / reverse albright guy but I'm going to give this one a try.

zimmy
07-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Bimini in braid, no name leader to it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

pbadad
07-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Crazy Alberto knot. great service, no failures.

iamskippy
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Just figured i would bump this up, a few people asked me what i have been using for a knot for braid to floro or mono, this knot is real easy to tie and strong as heck, and finishes small as well.

pbadad
05-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Thats very simple. I've seen a version years back of the similar knot w/o doubling the leader. Used for heavy leader( Shock)in bait casting. I'm gonna give it a whirl. Thanks for the bump.

PRBuzz
05-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Another related question: when casting do you have the knot go through one or more of the guides or leave the knot extended beyond the tip?

Fishpart
05-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Yuo can cast this knot through the guides. On a spinner it lets you cast with your finger on mono so your finger gets less abuse. On conventional this knot can clip your thumb if you dont pull back enough at the start of the cast.

iamskippy
05-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Depends, i have done both in fresh and salt. However to answer the pass threw the guide questions, i have never had a issue with it going threw them. The only time i notices a difference is when the notes not tied right and the line is to large for the eyes, other then that no problems for me.

iamskippy
05-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Yuo can cast this knot through the guides. On a spinner it lets you cast with your finger on mono so your finger gets less abuse. On conventional this knot can clip your thumb if you dont pull back enough at the start of the cast.

That happens with any knot on a conventional really. But the beauty of this knot is you can cut your tag ends very short, almost to nothing.

piemma
05-05-2012, 11:10 AM
That happens with any knot on a conventional really. But the beauty of this knot is you can cut your tag ends very short, almost to nothing.

Agreed!!!

Saltheart
05-05-2012, 12:04 PM
This is an interesting variation on a method the has been around a long time. The interesting twist here is how the overhand knot tag end gets wrapped over/incorporated into the uni knot. I like that idea.

I used Albrights for many years then switched to opposing uni's after I broke my finger and sinching the albrights evenly became harder.

This knot , Albright, Alberto , opposing uni all work well if there is a big difference in diameter between the leader and running line. If they are close to the same diameter , a blood knot works great and is smaller than any of them IMO.

bart
05-05-2012, 01:27 PM
albright

N.ShoreFisher
05-05-2012, 02:45 PM
God, I know soooo little. If I'm fishing lures, and have 50lb braid, should I be using a mono leader, and if so, am I tying the braid right to the mono or using a barrel swivel? Plus, I have some of those quick clip things that I think I'm supposed to clip the lure to? What's the deal. How do I change up lures easily?

Pete F.
05-05-2012, 07:00 PM
God, I know soooo little. If I'm fishing lures, and have 50lb braid, should I be using a mono leader, and if so, am I tying the braid right to the mono or using a barrel swivel? Plus, I have some of those quick clip things that I think I'm supposed to clip the lure to? What's the deal. How do I change up lures easily?
I'll bite
Yes, you should use a leader, braid will cut your hand.
This discussion is a little like what is the best car.
For leaders on my big rods I use 50# big game or 60# orvis fluorocarbon with a swivel on the line side and a breakaway clip on the plug side.
For knots I use palomars, the important thing is to use a knot you can tie well.
The knot never fails unless you have a fish on that is big, your favorite plug that is the only thing that is picking fish and you are a mile away from your car.

N.ShoreFisher
05-05-2012, 07:10 PM
so if I understand, it's braid to swivel to mono leader the another swivel and quick clip?:smash:sorry, but I'm a bit of a dummy, and never been fishing with someone that could show me a proper set up. Thanks

iamskippy
05-05-2012, 07:33 PM
so if I understand, it's braid to swivel to mono leader the another swivel and quick clip?:smash:sorry, but I'm a bit of a dummy, and never been fishing with someone that could show me a proper set up. Thanks

Its a personal preference on leaders and how you attach them, some choose to swivel at the juncture, however if you want to run a longer leader say fishing for tuna where the mono or floro are going to end up on your spool then a swivel will not do, thus part of the purpose of this post.

However i tie my leader to my braid and then use a tsunami 75# swivel.

However if you want to get into the discussion if a swivel is necessary, i would say no and its a old habit / and full mono thought process that is hard to break imho.

N.ShoreFisher
05-05-2012, 07:40 PM
thanks guys. great info as always. Maybe one of these days I'll run into some of you on the shore and be able to pay you back for all the info with bait or a coffee!

zimmy
05-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Learned a new connection the other week down in Hatteras. It is the improved blood knot. It doubles the strength of the braid at the knot. I was taught 5 wraps of the thin line and 3 with the leader. It makes a tapered knot, which helps it go smoothly through the guides. After a few tries, it is really simple to tie.

Not exactly the order I was taught it in, but results look the same.
Improved Blood Knot - Instructions (http://videofishingknots.com/improved-blood-knot.html)

pbadad
05-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Here's another easy connection showed to me by a fellow CSA member. Tie a 5 turn surgeons knot loop in the braid then a 3 turn surgeons knot in the leader(50-60lb). Send the leader loop thru the braid loop. Done. Keep your leaders tied and store in your pocket and simply reconnect when needed. my fellow member abd others have used this connection for years, taken BIG fish w/o a hitch. I'm using it myself this year. like Pete F says ( whats the best car) many options. Use the one you tie well. This one connection is a no brainer.

JohnnySaxatilis
05-06-2012, 07:31 AM
I just go all uni, all the time... usually the thing that fails aint the knot. if you tie any fishing knot correctly, it will work fine for fishing for stripers. tuna and big game are probably a different animal, but uni for me when im stompin around the cape
for freshwater I dont use a swivel just albright knot and a snap swivel. For salt I go line to barrel swivel, then 40# fluro or something similar, then tie the leader to fast clip. Which honestly im starting to lose faith in. Ive had a fish strike the plug, do a head shake and shake the plug right off the clip. I thought I broke it off or failed knot? No, leader and clip were still there. And this has happened not only to me but my friends as well. Im going to be tieing direct to the plug more often this season. Wish my tackle store had tactical anglers clips they have the little notch at the end where the knot stays put. I think a lot of the time what happens is the knot gets turned around on the clip and makes it easier for a jolt to send the plug right off the thing

MarshCappa
05-08-2012, 12:45 PM
So this year I've learned to use the uni knot for direct to tie from main to leader. I'm also going to direct tie my lures from now on. Here's my stupid question. How close can I snip the tag ends on the uni knot? Right now I have these little tags that I feel like clipping right off but am afraid that will make the knot slip through under strain.

MarshCappa
05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Oh yea and my main line is 20# braid with 40lb mono. Is this sufficient?

JackK
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I use braid-> spro swivel-> ~ 6' 60lb mono-> breakaway clip. Not too big of a fan of the TA clips- they're nice, but pricey... I haven't had a large breakaway show the slightest sign of opening, and if the knot is tightened down fully they don't slip. Braid to swivel gets a palomar, everything else gets a clinch. If I'm using light tackle (schoolies) I use a uni-uni with my braid to some flyfishing tippet, 0x flourocarbon (~16 lb test).

I haven't needed to run any crazy long shock leaders while surfcasting. But on my cod/tog rigs that can have ~10-30' of shock leader, I like to use the slim beauty knot.

MC- Why just tie direct? Some lures perform better with the added freedom of movement a clip gives, while others (bucktails mainly) I like to tie direct.

I think you can trim the tag ends very close. Has anyone tried the Loon Knot Sense in a surfcasting setting? It's a fly fishing product made specifically for strengthening and smoothing knots, so they don't get hung up on guides. UV Knot Sense - UV Gear Care - Loon Outdoors ~ Environmentally Friendly Fly Fishing Gear & Accessories (http://www.loonoutdoors.com/uv-knot-sense.html) Apply a little and cure instantly with a uv light. Not an option for the wetsuiter, but for someone wading it could be an option. Or just while getting your gear ready at home.

MarshCappa
05-08-2012, 01:27 PM
MC- Why just tie direct? Some lures perform better with the added freedom of movement a clip gives, while others (bucktails mainly) I like to tie direct.

Probably more mental than practical in my thinking. My thought is the less metal the better in presentation. I'm sure when I have to start throwing multiple lures to match the hatch I'll be tying on a clip for quick swap outs.

piemma
05-08-2012, 02:20 PM
I just go all uni, all the time... usually the thing that fails aint the knot. if you tie any fishing knot correctly, it will work fine for fishing for stripers. tuna and big game are probably a different animal, but uni for me when im stompin around the cape
for freshwater I dont use a swivel just albright knot and a snap swivel. For salt I go line to barrel swivel, then 40# fluro or something similar, then tie the leader to fast clip. Which honestly im starting to lose faith in. Ive had a fish strike the plug, do a head shake and shake the plug right off the clip. I thought I broke it off or failed knot? No, leader and clip were still there. And this has happened not only to me but my friends as well. Im going to be tieing direct to the plug more often this season. Wish my tackle store had tactical anglers clips they have the little notch at the end where the knot stays put. I think a lot of the time what happens is the knot gets turned around on the clip and makes it easier for a jolt to send the plug right off the thing

I know I'm old school but I don't use clips. I tie direct and always have. I can tie an improved clinch knot in the dark with my eyes closed. Clips are just one more thing to fail and I trust my knots.

Night Shift
05-08-2012, 03:09 PM
I use uni to uni. It has only failed me once... it was my fault and a lesson learned. After an epic night of slobs I failed to change the knot and leader the second night. Bad move! Night 2 was a one fish night and when the fish exploded 20 feet away, it stayed on the surface and started rolling on the line. That old knot was the weakest link and failed before the 4#'s of drag could release. The evidence I held in my hand showed that the 30# braid cut through the 25# mono. I don't cast braid anymore (not because of this) but I still use and trust this knot, but I now retie it MUCH more often with lighter leaders.

That fish haunts me to this day.