View Full Version : Now that G'Stripers and Slip have embarresed the rest of us...

JohnR
01-16-2001, 12:59 PM
Now that Got Stripers and Slipknot have embarresed the rest of us by getting off their butts and gettin' some fish, anyone else going to make a move on some fish?

I can't take this anymore! I'm now suffering from a near-terminal case of lacka-fishy and I'm gonna try to reverse that condition next weekend, weather permitting... Saltheart, whddaya up to next weekend, eh? :P

BTW - got your e-mail, DANDY

JeffH
01-16-2001, 01:26 PM
Well, John I would go but the 20' Maritime Skiff is buried in the back yard behind a 4' pile of snow. If it looks like an early spring then maybe just maybe I'll go....But then again I've got rods to build and reels to clean and the wife has this short little list of projects that need my attention. That kind of fishing is cheating anyway. Your in a boat jigging over a tightly packed school of a thousand fish. I think I'll wait for the trout pool at the fishing shows :)

Saltheart
01-16-2001, 02:17 PM
I have big banquet at Venus de Milo Friday night but Sat or Sunday sometime might be possible. What's your idea?

JohnR
01-16-2001, 02:20 PM
LMAO, Jeff, but isn't that what boat fishing is? Like fishing from the trout pool? :P Just kidding guys. Just because I enjoy chasing fish at night with korkers instead of with 3-d-digital, fish-finding, bottom-bounce-back-thermo(nuclear)cline-transparent,pointer gizzmos; it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate boat fishing :D
In fact, I went to the boat show to look at boats for next year. Imagine, not waiting for the ferry to go to Block Island, and then surfcasting, yeh-baby....

Kidding - but that was funny Jeff.
Damn, gotta go - will continue this ramble...

JohnR
01-16-2001, 03:01 PM
Where were we?? Oh yeh, Jeff, but even Coors Light isn't that bad when your REALLY thirsty for beer. So is jigging for bass at the Thames. Might not have the same "feel" and satisfaction as standing on your favorite rock in June or drifting your favorite rips in the boat but it does take the edge off a long winter season pretty well... I'd certainly give it a whirl...

Now, Saltheart - I'm thinking making a run a little north of my house where there may be a little holdover population, so to speak. Maybe Sunday around noon? Get in a little schoolie fishing before the Super Bowl??\

Just an early developement of a plan but what do you think...

Saltheart
01-16-2001, 03:27 PM
I like the idea but don't exactly know my superbowl plans yet. Let's revisit the idea about Friday ok.

Got Stripers
01-16-2001, 04:59 PM
I'm toying with going down tomorrow John, because the weekend isn't looking to nice weather-wise. I will probably decide tonight after feeling out the wife, let me know if your interested and give me a phone number or email same. I will call you tonight if you respond positively.

Tight lines.

Saltheart
01-16-2001, 05:49 PM
Wait a minute , the Super bowl is next weekend isn't it , not this coming weekend?

Jenn
01-16-2001, 07:37 PM
thats real cute John.....but remember some people actually LIKE coors light! :P

STEVE IN MASS
01-17-2001, 07:31 AM
But then Jenn, some people like the smell of skunk, and other people like liver and onions........

JohnR
01-17-2001, 12:06 PM
Saltheart, uh, you are correct, sir! Not this weekend but NEXT weekend. I'm actually away this weekend, and yes, its supposed to snow. But next weekend, weather and schedule permitting??

GS - I didn't get back on the board last night so I missed your post, but I can't got today - a shame too - very nice outside...

Jenn, I'll need to find the old joke about how canned beer left in the sun has a variable "Suck Factor" . It was really very funny but the premise was how Coors Light was nearly impervious to the effect of direct, 90 degree sunlight, as it's "suck factor" time only dropped from 1.5 seconds to 1.3 seconds. The "Suck Factor" was the amount of time it took for the beer to taste lousy after being removed from the 'fridge ;P - Kiddin' with ya :o Personally, I like the darker beers year round EXCEPT when it's 85 degrees in the sun when an iced cold Bud is the best possible ('specially on the beach)

Steve, long time no speak - how you doing? Did you get your fall annual fishing trip in?

Saltheart
01-17-2001, 06:31 PM
Next weekend is pretty tough but the spirit is willing so we'll see what SHE says about a little fishing trip. Maybe a little beakfast in the general area would make a stop in Prov. aound noon possible. I hate to be devilish like that but I'm not above doing it! :)

Jenn
01-17-2001, 11:09 PM
to be honest I am more of a Rolling rock or Sam Adams kinda gal...however wine , mixed drinks or shots also work too! HA!HA! Now if I could only find a drink mixer that adapts to a cigarette lighter I would never leave the beach! :)

STEVE IN MASS
01-18-2001, 07:22 AM
Yeah, John, I did go the week before Thanksgiving. Was able to meet up with Arby and Jim B. from the SOL gang...Got about four "Jersey keepers" (you know their "slot fish") and a few smaller ones. Also about five bluefish. Only got skunked one day out of four, and the surf was really ripping that day, almost too tough to fish. That's the last time the lines were wet, so I'm itching for my spring trip down there in late April or early May. Actually, we get both Good Friday and Patriot's Day off of work which makes for a four day weekend, so depending on weather and water temps, it may be then. See ya, and hope to get to Rhody a lot this year, so I'll be in touch.

JohnR
01-18-2001, 10:05 AM
Jenn, whaddaya mean? You were harrassing me about Coors Light and you actually drink the good stuff... ;P But you gotta try Harpoon Winter Warmer - the best beer in the world IMHO

Later,
John

Saltheart
01-18-2001, 10:59 AM
Hi Jenn , the bad news is I've never seen a blender that plugs into your cigarette lighter. :( The good news is that Black and decker makes a great rechargeable blender. It stores enough juice to keep you in Margeritas all weekend from a full rechaging! :) I kept one on my sailboat for years. I'm sure they still make it.

schoolie monster
01-18-2001, 01:42 PM
I think everyone here needs to get out... this thread makes no sense... must be "cabin fever"

I feel though that I must rebut one of John's comments about boat fishing. I really love surfcasting, however... I would prefer fishing the Thames by boat to fishing the dreaded pooper pipe pattern in downtown Providence where your chance of snagging a "floater" is as high as getting hooks into a striper.

And I like Coors light too because I drink about 3 times a year and since it has 1.2% alcohol, I don't get too silly. I'm not sure that's a ringing endorsement or that I would put that on a commercial though.

John... 2 months till fish at the West Wall? Ice permitting, we're hitting the Thames before that. Think you take a day off in a few weeks?

JohnR
01-18-2001, 03:52 PM
Schoolie? You mean that the chances are as good to catch the schoolies as they are for snagging the "Baby Ruth" look-a-like drifting down stream?

And one more rebuttle, Mr Schoolie Monster, remember your hallowed weeded summer fishing spot? Remember when the "floater" fish were in after the rains came and you were "wading" sans waders in your geeky sandals?

... and, uh, I'm glad you only drink Coors Light too. After all, any man who idolizes Albert Bell probably shouldn't be drinking all that much ;P hehehehe

Got Stripers
01-18-2001, 04:12 PM
Didn't fill the boat yesterday, but again 10 stripers in January is a dream come true for me. They were also a lot more fun, since I scaled down to light freshwater tackle. I'm still learning what's what down there and found a large concentration up river late in the day. I think things should get better each trip.

For you guys that don't have a boat, there are tons of floats in the water and rip-rap to cast from and guys from shore catch them easily. I watched a guy slowing working a jig/plastic combo from shore yesterday nail at least 3 schoolies.

My boats open anytime I go, assuming I've got room. Words spreading and suddenly I've got friends that I normally don't hear from in the winter, lol.

Tight lines.

Jenn
01-18-2001, 07:39 PM
John ...so sorry..I wasn't trying to harass you ...just trying to be sensitive to those who LIKE it! I drink it and it is OK but not my favorite! Actually now that I think of it, my REAL point was that we were discussing preferences ! and somehow the metaphor got a little carried away.....yep...I think some of us really do need to smell some fresh salt air! :P

schoolie monster
01-19-2001, 04:46 PM
What's wrong with Albert Belle?

My wading in tevas is over... remember that rash I had for like 3 weeks? Never found the cause of that, whether it was poison ivy, a tick bite, dirty, disgusting, polluted, filthy Boston Harbor water... I don't know, so I'll stick to waders.

And all you perverts out there, I'm a married man, so it wasn't from fraternization with some dirty, disgusting, polluted, filthy, Boston... lady... that you know of...

As for the "baby ruth" floaters as they regard to my summer spot... to quote the great Bill Murray... "its not so bad"

later

Slipknot
01-19-2001, 11:15 PM
John, I think you should really try to get down there with G.S. you would have fun. Even if it is from a boat . There is plenty of space for three to fish , the boat is comfortable and stable. Those fish are not as easy pickins' as you would think but there are many of them. It helps to relieve some of the cabin fever. Just tell your wife you need a fix, to loose some crankyness, she should understand.