View Full Version : SOOOOOOO

UserRemoved1
04-25-2003, 10:45 AM
At WHAT point would you say " i'm in deep doo-doo"

http://thehulltruth.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=382602711&f=436600231&m=6886033203

JohnR
04-25-2003, 11:12 AM
Damn!

That's why all of my life jackets and ditch bag will be stored externally!

UserRemoved1
04-25-2003, 11:17 AM
this boat I moved my lifejackets from under the front of the T top to unde rthe back....double insurance, since I always wear my sospenders too and ask that others on the boat do the same. I even have a class1 offshore vest for my son.

Safety can never take a back seat.
Notice this guys pic, no lifejacket, no ditchbag, no epirb, nothing. he was killin time on the radio....when the guy in the other boat should have taken over the radio and the sinking guy should have been putting his lifevest on and getting ready to ditch. One of those pics shows the boat just starting to roll in a wave too. not a good situation.

Van
04-25-2003, 01:15 PM
Unbelievable...

It's a clear case of natural selection at work.
Only the smarter of the species survive to reproduce.

JohnR
04-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Van
Unbelievable...

It's a clear case of natural selection at work.
Only the smarter of the species survive to reproduce.

I see a flaw in your statement. Only the amrter SHOULD survive to reproduce (that should be smarter SHOULD survive - me can't spell) already has survived and perhaps reproduced...

All that being said, we can see that he was grossly under prepared but almost all of us truly are. He also may have been much more prepared but did what he was used to in an emergency - get on the radio - which might not be the ideal thing to do iin that instance. Theses posts always create an "I'm gonna update my ditching plans..." mentality that in 90% of cases is probably not followed up sufficiently. 9 out of 10 people won't properly learn from the lesson.

I've seen a lot of boat pictures in the past few years but I've seen very few of those pictures or boaters showing a high level of preparedness in advance.

Rarely when I get on a boat does someone - including charter boats - say "Right here are the life jackets", "Here is the emergency gear", "If I go over the side", or "if there is an injury to me"... In IT we call these "Disaster Recovery" Plans. A well thought out plant to prevent a building disaster, or recover once it's happened...

Interestingly, the two people I've seen address safety is GS - the boat doesn't move under gas power unless you wearing a PFD and the pics of #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and his son always show the kid with a good PFD and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& with a SOSpendors on...

UserRemoved1
04-25-2003, 04:22 PM
EVERY summer we see the same things happen, EVERY summer people DIE because they're not prepared. It's interesting you make that comment on telling people where all the safety stuff is....because I do that on my boat....and I apologize to anyone that fishes with me for sounding corny or making them nervous/un-easy, but the bottom line is that when the $hit hits the proverbial fan KNOWING WHERE everything is could be the difference between life and death. Next time you see Thomas ask him if he knows how to start and run the boat. He's even driven across CC bay by himself before....well ok I coachec him a little and showed him where to steer and what to look out for, but it's the little things like knowing to steer for land etc that could make the difference if I got knocked overboard etc.

Originally posted by JohnR
9 out of 10 people won't properly learn from the lesson.

I've seen a lot of boat pictures in the past few years but I've seen very few of those pictures or boaters showing a high level of preparedness in advance.

Rarely when I get on a boat does someone - including charter boats - say "Right here are the life jackets", "Here is the emergency gear", "If I go over the side", or "if there is an injury to me"... In IT we call these "Disaster Recovery" Plans. A well thought out plant to prevent a building disaster, or recover once it's happened...

Van
04-25-2003, 09:41 PM
John:
Correct that is what I meant, "SHOULD" survive.

I think its easy to dis on someone in that situation for all the obvious things that are wrong.
But the brain can do funny things under severe situations, and even well prepared people have fatal accidents that could be avoided.

If it were my 20K+ boat taking on water, I,m not sure what the first thing I would do is. Just not prepared unless youv'e been there before. (in which case is time to take up another hobby), But once in that situation as that guy in the pic, the time for the PFD has long passed.

Lets all be safe out there.
I pick up SOSpenders for my son this year.
Little more peace of mind.

Jon G
04-26-2003, 12:21 PM
John its funny that you mention that people rarely show you were the emergecy stuff is. If I take someone on the boat that has never been on it before the first thing I mention leaving the dock is were the PFD's, flares,fire extinguishers are and the bilge pump switches are, some people look at you funny like they don't need to know that info :o , but what happens If something happens to me? Planning and having the proper equiptment can turn an emergency in to a mere inconvienence. I leave the dock planning for the worst case scenario and doing everything I can to make sure it will never happen. I also put alot of stock in to making sure kids know at least some basics of boat handling. I have a 10 year old who is capable of stopping the boat and getting it turned around if I should fall out, the same kid can't decied what to have for dinner :rolleyes: but its funny how confident a kid can be when given a task like that. If I go fishing with a kid I would like to know if something happend to me they would know which channel to call for help on how the read the GPS position and how to stop the boat, these are things I would be glad I taught her if I ever fell over. Let it never be said that it always happens to the other guy. BE SAFE

fishaholic18
04-26-2003, 05:15 PM
I think I'll wear my PFD from now on.

UserRemoved1
04-26-2003, 06:28 PM
I thought it was standard proceedure on a ANGLER? :D

fishaholic18
04-26-2003, 07:34 PM
C'mon Salty. You're gonna give me nightmares.:crying:

UserRemoved1
04-26-2003, 08:22 PM
hmmmmm you want nightmares?

Want me to send you the email I sent them the other day.....that'd give you nightmares dood.

fishaholic18
04-26-2003, 08:26 PM
What the h*ll. bring it on Salty. Send it to me.:smash: This better not be a sinking Angler.

UserRemoved1
04-26-2003, 08:35 PM
check ya pm's :(