View Full Version : Spot lights...

Rockfish9
07-08-2011, 11:40 AM
for the record.. i do own one... I've used it twice in the last 10 years.... once to illuminate a jetty that was partialy submerged in an astronomicaly high tide...the other time to burn out the eyeballs of an unthinking boater that had done like wise to me...

Last night.. I was wire line trolling a well known river mouth with a friend, the moon shone brillantly.. iluminating land marks, jetties and nav aids at the time of the "crime".. .. along comes Mr happy with his spot light... hitting the jetty.. cans and just about everything else.. they even used it to set the lines as they drifted... OK, they were in unfamilure territory... I get it....after a minmum of about 3 minutes, they must have gotten board as they commenced to lighting up the world again.. I said to my partner..."if they hit me with that beam, I'm going to go ballistic" well, we hook up.. the activity in the boat was more than they could bear... they hit us with the beam taking away all my night vision...( now I can no longer see the can that I am about to drift by or white water on the edge of the bar I'm trolling along... I lost it( I would have burned his eyes out of thier sockets if I could have seen well enough to find my spot light)... I berated him, his mother and anyone else I could think of...my tyraid concluded with " if you are that uncomfortable here.. park the boat and go flounder fishing when it gets light...I guess he got the message.. or maybe he figured i was one breath away from comitting harry -carry on his craft.. he left... never to be seen again...stupid is as stupid does.. but when people put my life injeapordy i draw the line... rant over.. I feel better now..

nightfighter
07-08-2011, 11:56 AM
LMAO, Joe... Wish you had a GoPro video going... That would have gone viral by now... I'm imagining your voice letting him have it. Caught your breath yet?:rotf2:

PRBuzz
07-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Get one of those little green lasers used as pointing tools and let them have it! These take up much less room than a spot light. Just don't point them at aircraft, federal offense.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

FishermanTim
07-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Isn't it funny! It's like the turds that complain if you so much as "blink" you high-beams while driving, yet don't think there's anything wrong with them blinding you while traversing a submerged "mine-field"?
I fish a particular wooden bridge at night, and it never ceases to amaze me that there are so many people that can't see while driving with their REGULAR head lights on!
I mean, it's not like they're in a backwoods country road where wildlife can dart out from any part of a road, but a wooden bridge with a boardwalk on one side only!
I just don't understand the need to light up the entire area just because YOU can't see and SHOULDN'T be driving at night!!!!!

This hatred of the "night-driving blind" started after I was blinded by a driver while walking along this bridge. Since I could not see anything but their retina-burning lights, I was unable to see the boardwalk and proceeded to walk off the edge and sprain my ankle.
Luckily, it was only a slight sprain, but I vowed that whenever I fish that bridge, and some night-vision impaired driver blinds me, I will IMMEDIATELY RETURN THE FAVOR.
Hey, I need to see where I'm going too!

When they end up running into the railing or the edge of the boardwalk and start complaining to me, I'll just say "Sorry" and continue on my way!

Will the stupidity and ignorance ever end?
Probably not, but I figure that unless there is an immediate need for that much light (accident, medical or mechanical emergency) then they are just letting the rest of us know that they are idiots and will probably not catchi any fish that trip!

Rockfish9
07-08-2011, 12:52 PM
LMAO, Joe... Wish you had a GoPro video going... That would have gone viral by now... I'm imagining your voice letting him have it. Caught your breath yet?:rotf2:

I knew you'd like that Ross....yea, I caught my breath as I needed it to oxygenate my blood so I could focus..... I'm getting to old to go to bed @ 3:15-3:30 and get up at 6 especialy when it's the third night this week.. it makes me cranky!...My bud got quite a kick out of it too...and of coarse, because this IS a family show here.. i relayed the PG version.. tne R version was rather blunt and insulting...

Fisherman Tim... well said!

Raven
07-08-2011, 02:23 PM
this might sound strange....Joe

but i think right then you should have put on mirrored sunglasses
same as an airline pilot does when he's being lazer beamed
from the deck...

your getting to the age where that much stress starts to accumulate... and then can cause a physical manifestation
if your not careful....

because.....
if he saw just one of your plugs he'd be kissing your feet
~just a thought~

as my Mum was fond of saying:

"you attract more flies to honey than vinegar"

nightfighter
07-08-2011, 03:07 PM
as my Mum was fond of saying:

"you attract more flies to honey than vinegar"

huh????? You lost me Craig with that whole thing.....

The guy was lucky Joe didn't skipshoot a flare across the water at his hull.....

Sea Dangles
07-08-2011, 04:08 PM
serenity
I hope he got home safe.

Raven
07-08-2011, 05:12 PM
oh then ...... Ramming speed.............. full speed thrusters!

AYE Captain !

striperman36
07-08-2011, 05:42 PM
flare gun, yeah, been there done that.

Hookedagain
07-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Joe, you said you hooked up, what was it?? Anything worth talking about?

Slipknot
07-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Good grump Joe :D

Night Shift
07-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I witnessed this from 3 feet away and my left ear is still ringing. If a boat had a tail, this guy's would have been tucked under the transom.
45 minutes earlier, someone (gas)motored 50 feet in front of us, through our drift, in 4 feet of water where I just picked off a nice one...a man can only take so much!

striperman36
07-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Moron;s I think that's why we fish at 0200-0800 and then go home, or go flookin

Rockfish9
07-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Joe, you said you hooked up, what was it?? Anything worth talking about?

Size was lacking, mostly mid to high teens... but what was lacking in size was made up in numbers....

Raven... the pic of the plug box is for you... dont drool on yourself...

I normaly wouldnot have had the pictures, as most nights I fish alone, I've met a hard fishing, younger fisherman( Night shift) that has earned my respect... I'm showing him a few things that have been lost in the last generation or so...in exchange, all I've asked for is to be taken on the water when I'm too senile or crippled to go myself...:grins: