View Full Version : Fridge issue - how long to thaw?

spence
07-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Our LG fridge has not been cooling well lately and this morning had the FF error which means the evaporator fan isn't working...reading online I see they're prone to icing up.

Let it thaw for a while and it seemed to be running fine then a few hours later crapped out with the FF error. I assume this is because it thawed just enough to run then got cold and froze up again.

So I've had it open all day with the food removed in the hopes that it's not a bad motor/board and will resume working. I tried taking it apart enough to just get at the fan but couldn't figure out how the shelf unit is removed and didn't want to damage it.

All that being said, how long do you think before something like that would fully defrost?

thanks,

-spence

Raven
07-08-2011, 02:27 PM
we used to put boiling pots water in ours to speed it up

make sure to check all AIR filters (for clogging)
especially at the bottom

where it blows out the warm air...

striperman36
07-08-2011, 03:40 PM
friggin de icer line ends up freezin, I used to have to pour kosher salt on the tray every 3 mos until I threw the damn thing out and bought a new one.
I used a paper clip and a butane torch to thaw the line and a heat gun to do what I couldn't chip out

spence
07-08-2011, 03:55 PM
we used to put boiling pots water in ours to speed it up

make sure to check all AIR filters (for clogging)
especially at the bottom

where it blows out the warm air...

Yes, that was full of dust...not the issue I don't think but a problem none the less.

I just plugged it in after 7 hours of rest. We don't have air in that part of the house so it's been plenty warm.

-spence

basswipe
07-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Its an LG.For what you paid you shouldn't being having this problem at all.Screw the quick temporary fixes,contact whoever sold you the unit(or LG itself) and demand it be fixed.

spence
07-08-2011, 05:26 PM
It's not under warranty any more.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Redsoxticket
07-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Ice dam caused by likely a bad thermostat that cost about $20. The thermostat can be replaced in about 10 seconds but requires access to it's location maybe 15 minutes.
Been there done that.
The ice dam is excessive that it freezes that air shoot from the freezer to the refrigerator compartment along with the fan .

Redsoxticket
07-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I used a hair dryer to melt the ice once I had a visual of the ice. There in the ice is the thermostat.
You could test the thermostat with a ohm meter but it requires searching the internet for the test readings and testing at ice temperature conditions. I would just buy the thermostat so it is cheap.

2na
07-08-2011, 07:33 PM
defroster motor issues are common in my apartment business, a hair dryer is the quickest safest way to thaw it out

also, if I remember right, the freezer cools the entire fridge - there is no coolant mechanism in the fridge compartment, there is a channel or pathway between the fridge and freezer and cold air travels from the freezer to cool the fridge. Make sure that that area is free and clear, if it is blocked by ice the fridge compartment won't cool down.