View Full Version : Bird spotting with a raymarine HD radar

fishingfred
07-09-2011, 12:29 PM
First year running a C90 raymarine w/ HD radar, with all the bells & whistles I'm not too confident about spotting bird flocks with her yet. Anyone running this or similar unit that could pass along some tips on settings & such, to get me on the right path for when I can visually pick one out & get dailed in. Thanks

Mr. Sandman
07-12-2011, 03:51 AM
I don't have that unit but have been on boats with new ray gear. I believe they have a "bird mode"...just get into that mode and all the settings are preset for targeting birds. Nice unit...the HD allows for dual zones simultaneously ...near and far with really good separation of targets.
The software is much better now, it should be easy to figure it all out, just go out and play with it on a nice day, it is not that difficult you will be an expert in short order.

fishingfred
07-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks I'll keep an eye out for that setting. Had read the manual twice cover to cover this spring but nothing like been being out there & pressing buttons, seem to learn two or 3 new things every time I power her up.

nor-easter
07-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Best advice I would offer is to do as above, plus, use your radar all the time, get used to seeing a target on screen and then see it with your eye so you get faith in seeing the target on the screen and beleive it is there!
Constant use will keep your radar dried out and usable and will enable you to be able to use it in black fog and in the middle of the night, if needed, with confidence.
Also, Navigation Rules require radar use, if vessel is so equipped!!!!