View Full Version : Summer Patterns

JohnR
07-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Yes, I know there are some stubborn fish south of us still, yet we may never see them.

So as things start settling into summer patters, how will you switch up and change gears?

Easy for me to say coming off I.R. in that I just need to get my @&^# out and fish but what will you do to change things up?

I'm thinking some island runs meeself - what says you?

Fishoholic
07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
dynamite :wall:

Liv2Fish
07-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Maybe that has been my problem - I must have switched to summer patterns too soon:smash:

I think I'll just stick with it and let the fish come to me...:devil2:

I was on vacation last week and fished hard most nights from 2 A until 7 A with only one decent fish.

I'm focussing on a 10 mile stretch of coast that's close to home. I know it produces well later in the year but trying to pinpoint when and where it starts.

Adam_777
07-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Summer switch to fluke and Sea Bass transition starts this week for me.:)

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-11-2011, 06:26 PM
All I know is that when I take my waders off lately it smells like a dirty bomb went off. Maybe switch to a banana hammock for the summer
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnnyD
07-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Only night fishing at the canal with mostly eels and sometimes swimmers. Mostly sandeels when fishing from the beach.

tysdad115
07-11-2011, 09:03 PM
All I know is that when I take my waders off lately it smells like a dirty bomb went off. Maybe switch to a banana hammock for the summer

That's wrong on many levels.

GattaFish
07-11-2011, 09:34 PM
I have notice that the old norm is not the new norm as far as lures. I have found a new color SS darter that has been unreal. I have done so so with needles even when there are sand eels in the wash but the purple GRS med slim has crushed them. I have struggled to get a fish to touch a rigged eel but they have rocked dead ones.

I can only say that I have done pretty well so far by switching it up more.

piemma
07-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Narr Bay was awesome for us (as I posted) up until mid-last week. Water temps over 72 so the fat lady sang.
Plenty of bunker still around and in fact we run over 100 miles Sunday from Warwick Cove to Prov for pogies then to Brenton Reef where we found 3 to 5' swells with a 1 -2' chop on top. Just too snotty to fish.

Ran back and found acres of 5 to 8# Blues. Now switched over to 0' dark 30 runs with eels.

Haus
07-12-2011, 05:56 AM
No choice, I am going gto Eastham so I will fish the seashore a few times. No idea what is happening there.

tlapinski
07-12-2011, 06:26 AM
My summer pattern is the same as my spring and fall pattern; try to find some sort of resident bait and toss eels nearby. Finding the holy grail seems like an easier proposition these days than finding bait has been. Not even saying I need to find large bait to fuel some fishing, just something would be nice. A few of my usual CT spots only seem to produce when you find silversides in the wash. This year they have all been barren. My usual SoCo spots have alse been devoid of any sort of bait. Just gotta keep on huntin'...

fishbones
07-12-2011, 09:50 AM
My new summer strategy is to get skunked much more frequently, but rationalize it by trying to convince myself that I fish just because I enjoy doing it and don't really care if I catch anything.

tysdad115
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
My new summer strategy is to get skunked much more frequently, but rationalize it by trying to convince myself that I fish just because I enjoy doing it and don't really care if I catch anything.

If I was smart enough to actually have a strategy to change, this is also what I would go with.:rotf2:

bart
07-12-2011, 11:12 AM
I have fished the deep water of the lower bay 3 times since sat and have caught 30 fish but nothing over 17#'s. eels and plugs. looking for a bigger fish on an east facing shoreline tonight..

JohnnySaxatilis
07-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Maybe switch to a banana hammock for the summerPosted from my iPhone/Mobile device

more like a baby finger hammock. havnt caught jack besides schoolies and small blues with small tin for the last few weeks. sucks. its july

Jackbass
07-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Or you could try hippers with the hammock. Head up to Herring cove you will be very popular. All I know is that when I take my waders off lately it smells like a dirty bomb went off. Maybe switch to a banana hammock for the summer

GregW
07-12-2011, 05:35 PM
My plan is to just try and figure out what works.

My main game plan though , as cliche as it sounds, is to use what has got me this far. Determination and staying positive.

JohnR
07-13-2011, 06:34 AM
My plan is to just try and figure out what works.

My main game plan though , as cliche as it sounds, is to use what has got me this far. Determination and staying positive.

Attitude & confidence goes a long way. That and time, time, time. (something lacking this year :wall: )

cheferson
07-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Love July and August ! Cow time!!!:jump1:

Nebe
07-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Love July and August ! Cow time!!!:jump1:

x2 :love:

cheferson
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Nothing better then sweatin balls all night online in a 110 degree kitchen . Getting out late night , and hitting the rocks . Nice cool sea breeze and some eels .......

Rockfish9
07-13-2011, 11:24 AM
I switch from river to beach and ocean side rock piles.. because that is where the food is....

Grapenuts
07-13-2011, 11:58 AM
switch over to wire line an heavy jigs....and or squid bars and head over the 3 mile line to where the cows abound or go dry .

Back Beach
07-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Find a friend (or in my case a relative) with a boat who knows what they're doing, weasel your way aboard, bail big fish for several hours, then take all the credit...:hee:

bassballer
07-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Find a friend (or in my case a relative) with a boat who knows what they're doing, weasel your way aboard, bail big fish for several hours, then take all the credit...:hee:

This has been my technique all season.

piemma
07-13-2011, 01:26 PM
more like a baby finger hammock. havnt caught jack besides schoolies and small blues with small tin for the last few weeks. sucks. its july

Johnny, not for nothin' but if you are throwing little bait, you are gonna catch little fish. Bump up to some big live eels or riggies or liveline big pogies and you will fish bigger fish. Even big Danny plugs will find bigger fish.

numbskull
07-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Summer pattern. Parrot darter, 15 lb bass, and 5000 tons of MUNG!