View Full Version : Squidder aftermarket gears???

1dozenraw
07-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I know that Newell made high speed gears for the Jigmaster. Did anyone ever make a high speed gears set-up for the mighty Squiddah? Stewie... anyone?? Thanks.

Stewie
07-11-2011, 06:42 PM
I never heard of any such thing, and I've googled and run searches. Grampa Old Spook suggested a way to do it, but you'd have to be pretty handy around machine tools. Lu?

If they had put out a 5 or 6 to 1 kit, the 146, or Squidder Junior, would still be a top seller.

1dozenraw
07-11-2011, 06:47 PM
I never heard of any such thing, and I've googled and run searches. Grampa Old Spook suggested a way to do it, but you'd have to be pretty handy around machine tools. Lu?

If they had put out a 5 or 6 to 1 kit, the 146, or Squidder Junior, would still be a top seller.Yes... that's pretty much what I figured. I just picked up a 146 size Penn Tiburon framed Squiddah and it got me thinking. You'd think if they were thinking high speed gears for Jigmaster reels was a good idea, they'd have thought the same about the mighty Squidder. Oh well... c'est la vie. Thanks Stewie.

rickhern
07-11-2011, 06:56 PM
They did have a gearset for Squidders back 30 yrs ago, 5:1 I believe.

Stewie
07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
How many of those do you have in the vault Rick?:smash:

Stewie
07-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Actually, I saw a Squidder for sale on Ebay that had an additional gear box outside the right sideplate, but it was so awkward and goofy lookin' that I didn't even think of bidding on it. Imagine two sideplates about a half inch apart, with the star drag between them.:wall:

Pete F.
07-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Actually, I saw a Squidder for sale on Ebay that had an additional gear box outside the right sideplate, but it was so awkward and goofy lookin' that I didn't even think of bidding on it. Imagine two sideplates about a half inch apart, with the star drag between them.:wall:
Reel-Deal I think it is about 4 to 1 so that would make it 8 to 1
Or buy a newell, pen mag, avet, etc

1dozenraw
07-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Reel-Deal I think it is about 4 to 1 so that would make it 8 to 1
Or buy a newell, pen mag, avet, etcGot Newells and Avets... not a fan of the Penn Mag. But just was curious. What I'll be using the Squidder for won't require high gears anyway, but still would have been nice to keep an eye out if the existed. Guess not. Thanks.

Stewie
07-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Put your elbow out so that your forearm is parallel with the spool shaft. Flip wrist and forearm together to turn crank at light speed. After ten or twelve casts, remove the reel from the rod and throw it into the ocean.:wall:

.........or sell it:grins:

....it took me about 8 tries to get past spellcheck with "parallel":confused:

ThrowingTimber
07-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Squidder = junk let it go.

You can drive around in a model t ford and you don't.....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device