View Full Version : Gloucester Surf Casting....need advice!!

scooter
07-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Hello pro anglers,

I am an avid freshwater fisherman but I have very little experience with ocean fishing other than chartered offshore stuff. I have done a little surf casting in Mexico but never up in the northeast so I was hoping someone could help me out with what type of lures, where to fish, the best way to rig for stripers etc. This is the coolest forum I've come across and you all seem like a seasoned bunch so I thought I would give it a try.

I will be up in Gloucester, the first week of August with the family and since I was finally able to invite a buddy of mine that wants to fish too I convinced the wife to let me get a surfcaster rod and give it a go. I know the area fairly well as I have been vacationing there for the last 8 years but like I said I am a total novice so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my questions (and I apologize if it's too much but I'm trying to gather as much info as possible so even if I get just a few answers I will be much better off and very appreciative!).

1.) Can I catch fish at Good Harbor Beach? (this is where I will be staying). A local guy once told me he laughs at the people surf casting there because there aren't any fish. Any truth to this? I also heard you can get stripers and blues over near the inlet at the end of the beach. I also heard that if I wade over to salt island and fish off the ocean side you can get stripers there. Is that true?

2.) If I try Bass Rocks do I really need Korkers or will I be ok with just a good pair of merrills? Where is a good spot up that way that won't be too dangerous? I heard many people have fallen in there.

3.) I have plastic eels (berkley gulp) some that are pre-rigged with hooks and others that aren't (both 12" and 8"). What's the best way to set up my terminal tackle? Is there a better bait to be using this time of year? I see all kinds of stuff out there! (I know this is a striper forum, but truth be told I would be psyched to catch anything really. Stripers would really make my vacation though).

4.) Is there a different setup or bait I should be using between surf casting and just fishing off the state pier or the Bass Rocks area? (what's best type of sinkers, leader, swivels, do I need a "fish finder" settup etc.)

5.) What other beaches closest to Good Harbor Beach might be better for surf casting? I would love to just walk down the beach from where I'm staying and pitch a spike but if driving to maybe Cranes or Rockport or somewhere close would be a better place I would love to know that.

6.) Do I have ANY chance of catching anything??

Thanks for any advice!!!

Scooter

blondterror
07-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Scooter-

I would recommend that you fish Bass Rocks at night from High tide to 2-3 hours of the drop. Use a 9-10.5ft surf rod rated for 2-6OZ and fish with 25 or 40 lb braid with a 4 foot fluoro leader that has a break rating 5-10 lbs less than you main line. The 2 local B&T shops you should visit and buy a few plugs are Surfland and First Light Anglers. You may want to fish with eels using circle hooks off the rocks... they are very effective at night.

Check out Cranes beach @ false dawn till 8AM and bee ready to walk a long way to fish the entire front and back sides. read up on current conditions on Brian O'connors site (Google Crane's Beach Fishing) Best plug is smack-it popper on cranes.

Suggested plugs for night fishing off the rocks are: yellow, white, or burple darters or mack bomber. you should also have some dark hogies for night and some white or pink for the day...

Other places to try if you get the green light from your spouse include:

Joppa Flats (best with kayak), Plum island, Pavilion beach in Ipswich

have fun and I hope you find some nice stripers...

JohnR
07-12-2011, 08:53 PM
And fish with someone - don't want to read about you after the fact.

I've been scared bleepless there once. Bigarzed wave came through...

Finaddict
07-12-2011, 09:27 PM
And do not go on the rocks without cleats ... do not go on the rocks without cleats ... even the best insurance won't be much help on a wet rock without cleats ... you are putting yourself in jeopardy if you do.

Good luck.

scooter
07-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Thank you very much, extremely helpful. I saw the Brian O'Connor Cranes Beach site, very cool. I think I may stay off the rocks until I get the hang of things and get some cleats based on the wisdom of Finaddict. I will check out the B&T shops you suggested and pick up some of those plugs. Thanks for the insight, much appreciated!!l

scooter
07-12-2011, 10:22 PM
And JohnR, good call, I will be fishing with a buddy for sure, thanks

Nebe
07-12-2011, 11:09 PM
If your in the surf zone, never turn your back to the ocean.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The Dad Fisherman
07-13-2011, 05:10 AM
I've gotten fish at Good Harbor beach.....I've also gotten a ticket there too, don't park on the street, walk from where you are staying and you should be fine. Fish the outflow on the drop and sometimes you can pick up a fish or too there. its a very shallow beach so you can wade out quite far. Check it out earlier in the day during low tide and you can scope out the contours in the sand. You'll probably find a trough or too you can work at high.

Korkers are a must if you are fishing the rocks in Glostah....any rocky area up and down the coast there can hold fish so move around.

Good Harbor is hit or miss.....if nothing gives in 30-45 minutes, pack it up and try someplace else.

spinncognito
07-13-2011, 06:22 AM
Hello pro anglers,

I am an avid freshwater fisherman but I have very little experience with ocean fishing other than chartered offshore stuff. I have done a little surf casting in Mexico but never up in the northeast so I was hoping someone could help me out with what type of lures, where to fish, the best way to rig for stripers etc. This is the coolest forum I've come across and you all seem like a seasoned bunch so I thought I would give it a try.

I will be up in Gloucester, the first week of August with the family and since I was finally able to invite a buddy of mine that wants to fish too I convinced the wife to let me get a surfcaster rod and give it a go. I know the area fairly well as I have been vacationing there for the last 8 years but like I said I am a total novice so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my questions (and I apologize if it's too much but I'm trying to gather as much info as possible so even if I get just a few answers I will be much better off and very appreciative!).

The first week of August the water is as warm as it gets and the fishing can be slow so first off I will say night-time is the right-time, especially off the beach.

1.) Can I catch fish at Good Harbor Beach? (this is where I will be staying). A local guy once told me he laughs at the people surf casting there because there aren't any fish. Any truth to this? I also heard you can get stripers and blues over near the inlet at the end of the beach. I also heard that if I wade over to salt island and fish off the ocean side you can get stripers there. Is that true?

The local guy probably did not want you fishing his spot! There are fish to be had on both ends of the beach, the outflow and the sand bar. Again, night or false dawn are your best bets.

2.) If I try Bass Rocks do I really need Korkers or will I be ok with just a good pair of merrills? Where is a good spot up that way that won't be too dangerous? I heard many people have fallen in there.

As stated, do not fish without spikes, even if you find a higher perch as you still need to land a fish somewhere.

3.) I have plastic eels (berkley gulp) some that are pre-rigged with hooks and others that aren't (both 12" and 8"). What's the best way to set up my terminal tackle? Is there a better bait to be using this time of year? I see all kinds of stuff out there! (I know this is a striper forum, but truth be told I would be psyched to catch anything really. Stripers would really make my vacation though).

Live eels would be the better choice but I have done well with rigged sluggos- black at night, white during the day.

4.) Is there a different setup or bait I should be using between surf casting and just fishing off the state pier or the Bass Rocks area? (what's best type of sinkers, leader, swivels, do I need a "fish finder" settup etc.)

Pick up a bag of herring ($5) from the bait-wagon dude. He is parked near St Peters square- call him at 978-281-0616. If you are gonna chunk, consider using a whole dead herring and try Niles Beach into the evening hours, little or no weight, just line, swivel, leader, hook.

5.) What other beaches closest to Good Harbor Beach might be better for surf casting? I would love to just walk down the beach from where I'm staying and pitch a spike but if driving to maybe Cranes or Rockport or somewhere close would be a better place I would love to know that.

Check your PM's

6.) Do I have ANY chance of catching anything??

:uhuh:

Thanks for any advice!!!

Scooter

Good Luck!

Rockport24
07-13-2011, 09:36 AM
wow these guys got it all....
I'll just add that on that stretch of bass rocks be REALLY careful even with korkers....you will see guys out there with white buckets in sneakers and sadly those are always the guys you read about getting swept off the rocks. Please please please stick with a buddy and don't push it, if the waves look too big, they are, so just fish another spot!

scooter
07-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Thank you for all the info, so appreciated. I will probably stay off the rocks for now and try all of your suggestions.

kenyee
07-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Isn't it also greenhead season by now? 3 weeks of chewing bug hell...I hate bugs :-P

Liv2Fish
07-14-2011, 08:41 PM

As stated, do not fish without spikes, even if you find a higher perch as you still need to land a fish somewhere.

Listen to this advice - it's not worth your life. A guy died doing exactly that a couple of weeks ago. spend the $75 and get some spikes or fish from the sand.

The Dad Fisherman
07-15-2011, 05:18 AM
Isn't it also greenhead season by now? 3 weeks of chewing bug hell...I hate bugs :-P

they don't bug you on the rocks....or at night :hee:

saltyric
07-15-2011, 05:55 AM
I would recommend tossing plugs at Good harbor beach in the early morning....Same with Bass Rocks...I have had great luck at both places right around sun up. Korkers are a must at bass rocks (IMHO)......Good luck!

luds
07-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Nobody has mentioned the hords of guys fishing mackerel at off the rocks at bass rocks. I personally stay away from that group. Further down the street in front of the elks club and beyond there is plenty of opportunity but it can't be comfortably fished and you can't effectively get to deeper water without a wetsuit IMO. Good Harbor is an ok first light option but you better hope that there is not surf or you will be sharing it boarders. I'm always amazed at how early they show.

To me your best bet is catching some night tides at pebble beach in Rockport. So close to Gloucester and you have pleanty of options there. You've got all of the structure variety you could ask for there if you're willing to walk a little. PM me if you want more info. Pebble is well known but I've really never had a problem with a crowd there. If there are others fishing it you can always walk somewhere and get away from them without decreasing your chances of catching fish.

I can't lie and say the rest of Rockport is not great but it is really treacherous and very private. I don't see anyone else out there for the most part and I think you will find others also not so willing to give up their Rockport spots either.

Good luck.

scooter
08-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks Luds, I'm having a blast out here. Tried Good Harbor last night, lost some bait and my buddy said he had a good bite on a herring chunk. I think we're gonna try pebble beach this week as you suggest. Thanks for the help!