View Full Version : york& wells maine surf casting

swfd27
07-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Hey guys could you help me?
not sure what to throw at them didn't know if they were hitting on live or dead and what lures
Thanks.

JoeBass
07-13-2011, 02:28 PM
I fish that area every year for the past 22 or so. Wells has a great bait shop, the Webhannet (sp?)River bait shop. Live eels, sand worms, frozen bait, plugs etc. They are a good source of info on where to try. In general, eels work great around the rocks at night. Sand worms are killer in the surf. Clams are also good. I've seen guys plugging around the rocks. I especially like fly fishing the tidal rivers in the area on the outgoing tide. Not usually big fish, but tons of fun.Good luck to you.

5/0
07-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info I'll be heading up to York soon.

fish4striper
07-13-2011, 04:10 PM
yeah, hit the baitshop for the latest info. You can leave your trailered boat there for a fee too, nice guy.

The Webhannet River Boatyard and the Webhannet River Tackle Shop, Wells Harbor, Maine (http://webhannetriver.com/)

Sea of Atlas
07-13-2011, 04:38 PM
A lot of sandeels and mackerel on the sandeels. Livelining some macs is a preferred method or you can dig some sandworms at low tide. I'm still catching on plugs and teasers in Maine right now. I like throwing 7" Stripermaineiac's needles (perfect profile for tinker mac) and half and half flies as teasers. So far so good. Webhannetts is a good shop.

swfd27
07-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Thank you guys this is great info I will have to check it out I'm only in wells till tomarrow thank you for the help again
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device