View Full Version : Century Stealth Development plans

Saltheart
07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
I talked about the Century Stealths that use the nanoresin/autoclave technology. In the past thread we got some responses on what performance people got from rods they built using X build approach vs Y , etc. One of the most surprising things to me was the huge variation of opinions as to casting applications and lure weight sweet spots from the different people and their different build approaches or personal casting strengths and weaknesses along with intresting apps comments.

I want to talk about my plan to develop these 10 and 11 foot blanks. To some the word develop means "give it a shot". To me , with my space reentry anf defense related materials background , the term "develop" means a systematic attempt to climb the ladder of test , learn, test , learn with the eye on making progress towards a particular goal. In this case the goals are (1) a 10 foot all around surf casting rod and (2) an 11 foot or so rod developed for canal applications.

If I can ever shake this respiratory funk i have ( 3 days in 4 weeks considered E Room visit but got into Primary Doctors office immediately. Been most sick for me in 10 years. Inside airco , no problem, outside at 95 degrees feels like someone poured a quart of rubber cement down my bronchial tubes... but I digress)

I want to start moving into the development of these blanks for applications. You have seen some efforts of people just wrapping rods the same as other Lami's and test casting but my plan is to develop what I feel are outstanding blanks (10 foot stealth) for the 3/4 to 3+ OZ all around surf casting app. and the 11 foot Stealth for canal type apps.. Everybodies entitled to their own approach on these things but to me , when a significant oppurtunity presents itself , a thoughtful , step by step , hopefully building on what is learned approach is what will have the best chance of paying off in the long run run with a significant improvement.

While I wonder about the over all value of "quick builds" in response to what some call hype, I will say that the results presented have provided some information I will use in the development of these blanks for the Apps mentioned. For example , I am leaning towards a double foot to single foot KW/KT transition on the 10 footer. I am also looking into the cost implications of perhaps using Ti frames for the choke and running guides on this app. While the Ti is expensive for something like a KW 30 to TKW 30 , its just maybe $2 to $3 to go from a Kt10 or 8 to a TKT 10 or 8. Also , the location closer to the tip along with the lower premium for the smaller guides may push me in that direction. I just use this as an example of where someone elses build info might not have "solved my problems" but where little pieces of info from this guy or that guy can help steer you in a good direction without having to do all the build iterations yourself.

The second thing I am looking at relative to the 10 footer is whether or not the tip should be trimmed. . All indications are that the as made blank is good for low end stuff like an ounce. The conflicting info is at the upper end where some say it will nail a 3.5 to 4 while others say it will do 3 but no more. My initial feel of the rod was that is should be very strong at 3+. Say a 3 jig with large tail. Now we get into tricky trade offs. An all around surf rod in my neighborhood must be able to do eels. The as made 10 footer has a nice tip for eels and I'd hate to mess that up for a little more at 3+ but anyway , its being considered. Also , I think it should be stressed that I'm looking to tweak things. maybe a 1 inch trim or not , not 3 or 5 etc. Now I am very encouraged at the rods prospect to be made suitable for using 6500 conventional reels as well as some spinner reels. As I have been working the guide layouts , especially the ones involving the TKT single footers after KW reduction guides , it just seems to keep falling into place as a natural for using either a conventional or a spinner with the cost being no trigger on the conventional seat. I may decide to do the conventionals and spinners separate but i just mention its a real possibility and not a big stretch where you could end up with neither app being good.

Now the 11 footer is going to be the real challenge to develop as a Canal rod. Initial reaction might be that its got a tip that is a little soft. It certainly has the backbone in the middle and butt sections. Now I see this as a real opportunity to come in with a rod very similar to an XRA 1205 and XRA 1322 hybrid feel. Now I prefer the XRA 1205 for my jigging at the Ditch but many like the 1322. What I think is that there is plenty of room to play with trimming the tip of the 11 foot stealth to move that blank in the direction you want. Again its the unusually supple tip that is backed up by the powerful midsection upon loading and the stiff butt that enables this. So trimming may involve little tip snips and also some butt trims that could be substantial.. or not.

I believe that a big tip trim will make this a rod that will easily handle 5 OZ plus tail I am not sure I want to push it that far in that direction. I really want to be able to crush 3 and 4 with tails but most of all , control the jig on the bottom. Again this gets into just how individuals do their jigging but i see a lot of potential for that XRA 1205/XRA 1322 hybrid feel.

I plan to make a big effort developing the autoclave technology in these blanks. yes people want instant gratification with just building it like a different manufacturers model to see what happens but I think the manufacturing and materials technology these blanks represent warrant a much bigger development effort rather than a try it and see approach. Funny thing is a really have the most interest in the 11 footer but my ideas are most advanced on the 10 footer (typical in development work).

I'll tell you one thing I find surprising, is that people do not seem to be grasping the fact that this nanoresin/autoclave processing combination is a unique opportunity for rod development. Suddenly , technology previously only available in $400 plus blanks is now available to general surf applications in the $200 blank range . Yes , its a technology that needs to be developed , not just given a down and dirty try. However I think the potential for making a better mousetrap is starring us right in the face if we go about it using a systematic development strategy vs a give it a try approach.

numbskull
07-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Did you get your 11 foot stealth? How is it different from their other 11 foot 2-5 rod?

Saltheart
07-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Haven't got the 11 yet. It may be in the area but I've been too sick to venture more than 20 minutes from home. My 10 footers are here but again i am not going far from home until i feel better.

Sea Dangles
07-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Does trimming these blanks void the warrantee like it does in a lami?
If it does then it's an expensive risk even at 200 bucks.
This rod is intriguing,I got a nano resin tuna rod last year that has insane strength to weight ratio.

Saltheart
07-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Thats something I would need to work out with the distributor. There is a big difference between an experienced builder dong a cut for a well developed application and Joe Blow taking a hack saw willy nilly to a blank. But you are right in that its an important question to ask.

Sea Dangles
07-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Trust me when I tell you,there is NO difference to lamiglas.They don't know or care one bit.

Saltheart
07-14-2011, 09:14 AM
mI 'll be discussing details with the distributor. The guys doing these Centuries are a solid bunch of people with a known good product. i doubt you will see many of the Stealths breaking. if one does I doubt anybody will try to hide behind a thoughtfull blank trim by a professional builder come replacement time.

Beyond that, all Saltheart builds are (and aiways have been) covered by full 1 year warrantee by me. If it breaks in normal use you get a replacement free. If rod breaks after a year in service, its not do to the build and the blank manufacturers warrantee kicks in on the blank .

Now if you run over it with your car or close a door on the tip , that's your problem. However , I even gave a guy who did run over his a replacement at just materials cost. One very noteable exception is that i do not warrantee a rod if you supply the blank.

Warrantees are only as good as the people who back them.

Now I personally think Lami's own customers killed the limitedlifetime warrantee with Lami. I have seen very experienced fisherman who know better, lifting large fish with Lamis. Deliberate abuse because of the warrantee protection. They killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.