View Full Version : broke boat

missing link
04-25-2003, 10:02 PM
took the boat out today for the 2nd time this season ,darn exhaust manifold gasket let go, oh well it'll be fixed by next week.
anyone know of any trustworthy volvo penta mech's in so.eastern ma. I do most the work myself but it always helps to have a couple of reliable connections. 21 ft bayliner cuddy 1984
w/ an AQ125A VP with280 lower unit: oldie but goodie

fishsmith
04-25-2003, 11:06 PM
missing link sorry to hear about your boating woes, but i can relate.
I took mine out today for this years maiden voyage,
its a an 84 75hp evinrude.
started easy
ran without issue for close to an hour, then when I was at around 4400rpms, the voltage gauge started chirping and buggin out and jumping up to 18v, when it's usually just below 14v.
Well that canceled any thought of bouncing a jig by high pines, I went back to green harbor and sure enough, as soon as I shut the motor down, it would not start back up. Just clicking, luckly some guy looking down from the dock said it's the starter solenoid, I think he was right, because it kicked right over when i jumped the leads with a screwdriver.
I'm still not sure why my voltage meter was going nuts, it did go real nuts when i'd trim the motor. I checked the battery with a meter and it was reading 12.6v, then 13.4v when the motor was running over 3000 rpm.
The battery cranked the motor fine and none of the cells were low/dry, but the battery in its 3rd season. I'll keep diggin the answer can't be to far away.

fishaholic18
04-26-2003, 06:23 AM
The joys of owning a boat. If God only gave us fins.:smash:

wjm
04-26-2003, 06:54 AM
Atlantic Boats in Wareham was always good to me.

missing link
04-26-2003, 07:46 AM
YA only if we had ,fin's 10's and 20"$--- parts on order from ALANTIC BOATS , only volvo parts dealer around , go figure the
AQ125A has no interchange parts for after market engine parts
she'll be purring like a kitten in a week or so

fishsmith
04-29-2003, 10:45 AM
My broke boat is fixed and it's sold. I got the parts yesterday at The Outboard Shop in Kingston (good shop :D friendly and real helpful) . Today when I came into work the guy who sits a cube away from asked "are you still selling your boat", I said yes, and a $3K check fell in my hand. I sold it cheaper than I was thinking last year, but with the deal, I can take the boat whenever he's not on it. So all you Hull people, look out for a 17ft Seaway coming your way.
Anyone selling a 16ft + aluminum, I want a boat I can trailer with any vehicle.

MakoMike
04-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Fiahaholic,
If he gave us fins how would we hold our rods? :smash:

Slipknot
04-29-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by wjm
Atlantic Boats in Wareham was always good to me.

Then you are lucky.

missing link
04-30-2003, 04:47 PM
we would hold or rod's with our blow hole's ,after all wer'e mammals:D

wjm
05-01-2003, 09:11 AM
That was a few years back. Had a little go-fast donzi with a volvo. Not much for fishing but a lot of fun.
They have gotten a lot bigger, somtimes that isn't good.