View Full Version : need help choosing a plug rod

GMAN
07-17-2011, 10:10 PM
I been look for a while for a need rod but can't decide I when to see mike earlier and we were talking about the century rods 11 ft. 2-5
Does anyone have one or try one out how is it? Im looking to cast 3oz wood plug maybe some 3 oz spoons with it. Any would be great.
And what other rod option do I have.?

luds
07-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Ron Arra 1205 and the 10.5 foot heavier St. Croix Mojo are both possibilities that would meet your criteria. I'm looking into the Century Stealth myself but have no experience with it.

numbskull
07-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Unless the canal is your primary territory, a GSB1321M is the standard for an 11 foot plugging rod, and for very good reasons.

Built with new small light guides it is every bit the equal of anything else out there. It won't cast quite as far as some blanks, but it will have a wider weight range and be more comfortable to fish than most longer casting options (that gain distance by stiffening the mid section which requires more effort to load...at 3-5 oz that takes its toll as the night wears on).

A lot of this comes down to where you fish, what you throw, and what your casting style is.

Bottom line is that the Lami GSB's, XRA's, the St Croix Mojo and Legend, the CTS and Century blanks all make superb rods. Turns out it has more to do with how light and small you wrap them than the blank itself. Don't buy a rod that uses anything larger than a K 30 as the first guide and a size 10 or 12 as the third guide otherwise you are losing out on what a rod can do.

bogey
07-18-2011, 08:50 AM
don't forget the St Croix warranty

GMAN
07-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys I kinda like the century at mikes but there are not alot of guy who have them. I like few of the lite weight and the warranty. I have been trying my buddy legend 11'6 is nice but don't want to spend that kinda doe. This will be my canal rod. I generally us pencil and needle between 2-3
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

GMAN
07-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Sorry about the bad spelling and bad sentencing i'm multi -task

numbskull
07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I'd think the demand and resale value of a Century wrapped by M&D's should be good if you decide it doesn't suit you

Jackbass
07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
I always wind up going back to my Area 1322 I have a bunch of other rods for different purposes but That rod casts well isn't overly heavy etc. I put an emblem on it this year and it casts like a rocket. It works pencils great as well.

Saltheart
07-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Bottom line is that the Lami GSB's, XRA's, the St Croix Mojo and Legend, the CTS and Century blanks all make superb rods. Turns out it has more to do with how light and small you wrap them than the blank itself. Don't buy a rod that uses anything larger than a K 30 as the first guide and a size 10 or 12 as the third guide otherwise you are losing out on what a rod can do.

The collective knowledge of the rodbuilding universe all summed up so neatly. :) Just amazing!

I think I'll try that magic guide combination on a piece of linguine.

any similar all knowing paragraphs about where to fish, how to fish, when to fish,what lures to use.........we want all the knowledge ......Summarized in just a few bullet sentences. :)

spence
07-18-2011, 04:30 PM
If you like a faster action rod, leave it a little al dente :rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

-spence

numbskull
07-18-2011, 05:07 PM
The collective knowledge of the rodbuilding universe all summed up so neatly. :) Just amazing!

any similar all knowing paragraphs about where to fish, how to fish, when to fish,what lures to use.........we want all the knowledge ......Summarized in just a few bullet sentences. :)

You used a lot of smiley faces for an insult. Classy guy.

Saltheart
07-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Two well spaced Smiley's are not at all excessive considering the cosmic input they imodicate. :)

numbskull
07-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Sorry, I'll try to stay out of your agenda from now on.

mrstriper
07-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Saltheart...why so bitter? George was just stating some thoughts...

Sea Dangles
07-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Not only does Saltheart have an infatuation with Century, he seems to have a chubby for Numby too. I wonder the size of the first guide on Smokey's rod...

One thing I know is that Numby not only can fish,he also does fish.He knows how to make plugs,he knows how to make surf bags and there is a good chance he knows how to lay a rod out.If they are anything like the aforementioned creations then they are probably as good and well thought out as any custom builder out there.

T&P's Saltheart, I hope you get over what ails you.

Sgt Striper
07-18-2011, 09:35 PM
All started when George had the audacity to say that his antique GSB outcasted :uhuh::uhuh: the Century Stealth!! nano nano

numbskull
07-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Best to let this rest.

My statement about guide size was too strong for some and it elicited too strong a response. Unfortunate. My bad. Not what I intended.

Saltheart
07-19-2011, 11:46 AM
All started when George had the audacity to say that his antique GSB outcasted :uhuh::uhuh: the Century Stealth!! nano nano

Nobody benefited more in terms of actually reduced building efforts than I did from what I learned from George's above mentioned posts.

My agenda concerning the the Century Stealths is the same as my agenda has always been here, spread the word when I see something new and potentially beneficial.

Not what I intended either. I initially intended a humorous reply to an obviously enthusiastic statement. Sometimes what's humorous to one is not to another.

Anybody who thinks I have an agenda of trying to make money selling fishing poles on this site suffers from two great knowledge gaps about me. First , I have donated far more custom rods, blanks, rods auctioned at TFCTFN or raffled for multiple assorted charitable purposes benefitting down on their luck members on this site, rods sold at parts costs for members children etc. than I have ever sold here for a profit. Yes I stopped giving away 2 , 3 custom builds at a time at every event back in the mid 2000's like other vendors here did, when the crowd changed and it became clear that there was no loyalty or good will built up amongst this crowd who would buy elsewhere on their next rod if there were a $5 price difference.

Secondly, if you think I need rodbuilding money at this point in my life you have absolutely no knowledge about who I am and how I made a living throughout my professional career. I like handcraft work and you need to do somethng with the products when finished.

Anyway , I can assure you I will not express a descenting opion about a rod build here again.

GMAN
07-19-2011, 02:09 PM

GMAN
07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Question what's the different between the stealth and the hj

JohnR
07-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Guys - Forest / Trees - It is the Internet.

Thank you.

Rob Rockcrawler
07-19-2011, 05:26 PM
I'd think the demand and resale value of a Century wrapped by M&D's should be good if you decide it doesn't suit you

So is mike building again? Im sure he was enjoying people not asking if he was still spinning.