View Full Version : Reproduction of Rinehart Surfcaster

blondterror
07-19-2011, 08:33 AM
I had previously made one based on a picture without any measurements to copy. I got hold of an original and was surprised how small they are. Apparently some of the fresh water striper fisherman like this plug for sweetwater stripers.

I slightly upsized this to work with the tail hardware I had available.

I had to make a custom cupped lip so I used a round 1" burr to make a 1 inch diameter recess in a piece of hard maple and used a ball peen hammer to shape the stainless lip.

Fun build...

blondterror
07-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Comparison shot with an original....

Sgt Striper
07-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Looks great, did you use a reshaped surfster lip?

blondterror
07-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Looks great, did you use a reshaped surfster lip?

No I used flat SS sheet to start with and traced the outline from the original.

Muskyslayer96
07-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Chris,

Looks great .....quality workmanship there :)

Like it a lot

MS

lazzyone
07-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Wow.. I like that

Sgt Striper
07-20-2011, 09:15 AM
A little history of the plug from Tom Clayton's site if you have not seen it already!
So when will you be producing the lips for the rest of us? :rotf2:

Rinehart Tackle Co., was founded by Fred Rinehart around 1937. By the early 1940's; Fred started manufacturing his "Jinx" lure which was made of tenite. The lure came in two sizes and numerous color patterns. The five inch model was especially made for large freshwater / saltwater gamefish and it soon became very popular with New England's striped bass fishermen. Over the course of it's history; the company changed hands twice and moved as many times. Then around 1959 a new variation of the "Jinx" was developed and produced especially for the surf fisherman. The new lure was named the "Surfcaster" and it came with two heavy duty saltwater hooks instead of the usual three freshwater hooks; it also carried new heavy duty hardware. Overall the "Surfcaster" was manufactured from approx: 1959 - 1962 and as with the other lures the company made, colors could be special ordered provided they were bought in at least group's of twelve. The lure came in a black and clear hinged plastic box, that can be seen in the picture below.

blondterror
07-20-2011, 10:24 AM
So when will you be producing the lips for the rest of us?

It took me about 2 hrs of work to make that one.... I would need a stamping die, a bending jig, and a sanding station to make these in any qty... not gonna happen... working with wood is more fun for me than stainless sheet...

"not that there's anything wrong with it"

I may make a few hand carve plug lips for my own use now that I know that lips can be made in my shop... The Greek is very skilled at this task...

saltydog
07-21-2011, 06:43 AM
BEAUTIFUL:drool: I just :love: old plugs GREAT JOB
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:gh:

ProfessorM
07-21-2011, 06:30 PM
great job

numbskull
07-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Way cool. Have you swum it yet? How does it act?

blondterror
07-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Way cool. Have you swum it yet? How does it act?

Made it for Fastrac ... only float tested it vs an original in my kitchen... did not get a chance to swim it... I plan to make a few more and fish them