View Full Version : Priming diesel engines after new filters

Mr. Sandman
07-19-2011, 05:48 PM
My engine has a "lift pump" but it is ineffective for getting fuel from the tank, thru the filters and venting the air and then filling the last filter. I did it once but it took forever and was a real PIA.

This spring I hooked up a squeeze bulb like you have in an outboard in a temporary fashion and that worked but it was a bit messy and I had to clean the bilge after I was done.

I spoke a friend and asked him what he did after going thru the same PIA priming problems I did he bought an electric reverso pump. I watched him use it and they are fantastic but expensive. (Like 700 bucks) . They went on sale for 495 and I still could not pull the trigger.

I really wanted something manual anyway that did not require power in case I was in a bind and had to replace a filter at sea. On the reverso site they offer a manual pump, for like 90 bucks. This was more my speed and I just got it. The directions are in German but it looks easy enough to figure out. I am going to install it tomorrow after getting some fittings.

I was just wondering what do you diesel guys use to prime the system with fuel?

Raider Ronnie
07-19-2011, 06:04 PM
I have a dual racor set up that runs off one or the other (not cheap, assembly was $1200 when new in 2001 so I guess it's a lot more now)
Also have canister filter on engine.
I keep a 1 gal jug on boat with fresh diesel should I have to change filters. Also keep set of new filters.
I drain & clean filter bowl, install new filters and fill with new diesel.
The engine canister I fill and tread on .
My engine does have a primer pump but have never had to use it.
Some motors really suck, you run out you have to crack injectors to bleed air out.

Bigcat
07-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Go to the auto parts store buy a Stewart Warner electric fuel pump,some 3/8 rubber gas hose with the appropriate size push in fittings,some 12 gauge wire with alligator clips and your good to go.
On some engines you have to crack the injector lines.

thefishingfreak
07-20-2011, 06:18 AM
My yanmars have a small plunger pump built in. On the top of the fuel filter there is a small plunger also. I've learned to pump the new filters full of fuel with the plunger on top, probly 50 pumps, and then I'm good to go. If there is air in the system I have to crack the injectors loose and pump the plunger to fill the entire system. Probly 100-150 pumps. It's a pain but you learn quick. I have my electric jabsco oil change pump/bucket combo on board I will use to suck it next time if I get alot of air.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mr. Sandman
07-20-2011, 07:03 AM
My volvo has that manual lift pump but IMO that is worthless for drawing up fuel and filling empty spin on primary racor filters. I have a vent on top of the last resort fuel filter (on engine)and can bleed out nearly all of air and that works fairly well. The engine seems to run OK if there is a little air in the system and takes care of it but if there is an empty fuel filter, or dry fuel line it will not run very long. I think this manual pump will do the trick and keep my bilge clean when I change filters. I plan to install it in a place that allows me to pull the fuel from the tank and then push it thru all the filters allow the air to escape from the final vent. What I like about this in line pump is that when you are finished pumping you rotate the base 90 deg and it is like a ball valve inside, there is zero resistance.
Hand Priming Pump (http://reversopumps.com/fuel-primers/hand-priming-pump)

MakoMike
07-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Like Ronnie I keep a gallon of diesel on board, but if you have to change at sea, you'll probably loose the prime. Easiest way to get it back is to forget the lift pump and just crack loose the last injector in the line. If you just crack it a little the air will come right out and the engine will start before you even tighten it back up again.